New Gibson Falcon amps

Emma Stone Spit GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Unless I’m missing something, outside of the recto lunch boxes these are the cheapest “Mesa built” amps by a very significant margin. They aren’t under the Mesa label and it’s not surprising that some Cost cutting measures would come into play to keep ‘em in that price point. But obviously people will hype this like the sky is falling

People have also been complaining about the way they build their amps for decades. Long before Gibson.

Mesa could drop a hand wired PTP perfect replica of the IIC+ and people would still find a way to complain

The Gibson/Mesa naysaying wet blanket reeks of mildew at this point

Last edited:
Maybe the chassis is too shallow here to allow that so they went with this solution. Preamp tubes don't weigh much so it's probably acceptable from a durability point of view. But it feels like they could have just put extra effort in making it better without much of an impact on cost.

On The Other Place someone mentioned a Peavey Bravo for another "tubes on the inside" amp and even that has actually proper support for the tubes.

Even something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Vox AC15C1 still has a breakout board for all tubes so you don't have to open the whole thing to swap them in case one fails, or poke around near big capacitors.

Maybe the chassis is too shallow here to allow that so they went with this solution. Preamp tubes don't weigh much so it's probably acceptable from a durability point of view. But it feels like they could have just put extra effort in making it better without much of an impact on cost.

On The Other Place someone mentioned a Peavey Bravo for another "tubes on the inside" amp and even that has actually proper support for the tubes.

Even something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Vox AC15C1 still has a breakout board for all tubes so you don't have to open the whole thing to swap them in case one fails, or poke around near big capacitors.

It’s not the tubes being inside that concerns me.

The problem with this is that every time you need to change a preamp tube it puts strain on the PCB as you pull to remove a tube and push to place a tube.

That introduces risk of accidentally breaking solder connections.

I’m sure it will work just fine at first, but over time the chances of causing accidental damage increase

The problem with this is that every time you need to change a preamp tube it puts strain on the PCB as you pull to remove a tube and push to place a tube.

I’m sure it will work just fine at first, but over time the chances of causing accidental damage increase
I assume those white push pins would provide enough rigidity around that area to not be a problem. I would be more worried that there are some big capacitors somewhere not visible in the pic that you could accidentally touch if you have big hands and try to cram in a new tube.

The Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 I owned had basically zero support on the preamp board so you could feel the board flexing every time you pushed in a tube. It still kept ticking.

I assume those white push pins would provide enough rigidity around that area to not be a problem. I would be more worried that there are some big capacitors somewhere not visible in the pic that you could accidentally touch if you have big hands and try to cram in a new tube.

The Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 I owned had basically zero support on the preamp board so you could feel the board flexing every time you pushed in a tube. It still kept ticking.

They don’t. I’ve had it happen before. It adds an unnecessary point of failure that introduces risk of failure.

That doesn’t mean it will fail, but it means there is an increased chance of failure due to the design.

Over the decades, there's already been a few expensive amps popular for letting the heat emitted by the tubes warp the PCB.

No idea why this is still done, especially in this price range. Apart from that, the guts look fine.

I tried the 20 at GC yesterday.

In a word:

Meh.
I guess their team of marketing "geniuses" are just reading the wrong room.

🤷‍♂️

Btw, those amps need at least a 3k+ Gibson with a pair of the all-new NOS spec 1959 humbuckers for only 1k bucks! 😂😂😂

All price points beyond which admitting you stepped right into a marketing trap, and taking it back to the store, in hindsight, would imho pose an awkward task to many of the probably tux-clad buyers.

This is so screwed up, seriously.

Last edited:
It hasn't been getting much love for its internal craftsmanship :oops:

Yeah, well there’s that, too :LOL: …but seriously, I plugged in with a totally open mind and prepared to have an eyebrow-raising moment or two; instead, it was like “yeah, whatever” after a few minutes.

I guess the takeaway is that it seemed to sound kinda Supro-like to my ears, but my ears don’t really care for that. There’s like an OK clean at low volume, and kind of a flabby crunch at higher volumes. It doesn’t get all that loud, either. For the price, it didn’t give me much to care for.

Maybe they made the circuit board a little thicker.

Back