New Gibson Falcon amps

This is so disappointing. I have used a ‘63 ga19 for 50 years and it still sounds killer. Whoever says the original Falcons suck has no clue what they’re talking about. I was always hoping Gibson would reissue the Falcon and when I saw they had, I couldn’t believe it. But this is not a Falcon. The original uses 6EU7, and 5V3 tubes and has a reverb circuit before the power section. I can’t believe it is that difficult to manufacture the simple point to point like the Falcon used to be. Sad this happened.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is so disappointing. I have used this ‘63 ga19 for 50 years and it still sounds killer. Whoever says these suck has no clue what they’re talking about. I was always hoping Gibson would reissue the Falcon and when I saw they had, I couldn’t believe it, until I looked closer. The original uses 6V6, 6EU7, and 5V3 tubes and has a reverb circuit before the pre amp. The new version is this amp is entirely different, and looks more like a Hot Rod Deluxe. Nothing at all like the ‘60’s Falcon. This is blasphemy. Sad. Why is this so hard? Come on people.
I'm not a tech, but wouldn't these be quite easy to DIY, except for the reverb circuit maybe?

This is so disappointing. I have used a ‘63 ga19 for 50 years and it still sounds killer. Whoever says the original Falcons suck has no clue what they’re talking about. I was always hoping Gibson would reissue the Falcon and when I saw they had, I couldn’t believe it. But this is not a Falcon. The original uses 6EU7, and 5V3 tubes and has a reverb circuit before the power section. I can’t believe it is that difficult to manufacture the simple point to point like the Falcon used to be. Sad this happened.

Are 5V3 tubes even still in production?

At least the power tubes are off-board. Presumably the side mount provides better cooling and avoids blasting the PCB with rising hot air.

Mounting tubes on the PCB is a classic Mesa cost reduction tactic dating back to the past millennium.

It’s not the tubes being inside that concerns me.

The problem with this is that every time you need to change a preamp tube it puts strain on the PCB as you pull to remove a tube and push to place a tube.

That introduces risk of accidentally breaking solder connections.

I’m sure it will work just fine at first, but over time the chances of causing accidental damage increase

Gibson new amp line marketing meeting......

"Ok team, I want ideas. What do today's players want in an amp?"

- no master volume!
- no tone stack, only a single tone knob!
- a really cute but ridiculously shitty amp handle!
- a retro Jensen speaker instead of a Celestion rocker!
- only 5 and 20 watt options!

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Although, with Mesa Boogie in their back pocket I guess it sorta makes sense.
Randall Smith designed that amp btw

Yeah, well there’s that, too :LOL: …but seriously, I plugged in with a totally open mind and prepared to have an eyebrow-raising moment or two; instead, it was like “yeah, whatever” after a few minutes.

I guess the takeaway is that it seemed to sound kinda Supro-like to my ears, but my ears don’t really care for that. There’s like an OK clean at low volume, and kind of a flabby crunch at higher volumes. It doesn’t get all that loud, either. For the price, it didn’t give me much to care for.
I hate that bloated gray haired midrange…
Weird bottom end just really hard to put that sound & feel into real world playing and influences.
I dig the raunch of it..for maybe one song?

Back