New Gibson Falcon amps

I’ll have to play one to know, but this checks a lot of boxes for me on paper:
  • 20 watt 6v6
  • Cathode biased
  • Good size open back 1x12 cab
  • 31 lbs
  • Under $2,000
It’s officially on my radar.

I do think it would have been kinda cool if they had gone with the octal preamp like the older Gibson Les Paul amps. I love that preamp in the /13 JRT. But I suppose that would have been challenging to source tubes for at this level of mass production.

Gibson new amp line marketing meeting......

"Ok team, I want ideas. What do today's players want in an amp?"

- no master volume!
- no tone stack, only a single tone knob!
- a really cute but ridiculously shitty amp handle!
- a retro Jensen speaker instead of a Celestion rocker!
- only 5 and 20 watt options!

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Although, with Mesa Boogie in their back pocket I guess it sorta makes sense.
Junior manager: How bout we add an efx loop?….dude!!…that’s so no us!
…uhhh…how about a cabsim on that DI out..digital ones sound great, excellent for gigging users!….Didn’t you get the memo we poop on everything digital?…and practical means nothing to us!…you just got your ass fired!

IMG_1743.gif

I'm struggling to understand the handle. Is it hard plastic? Silicone outer layer over tolex... or... what?

Looks uncomfortable and not fit for purpose from the photos on the CME site. Am I misreading this?

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand the handle. Is it hard plastic? Silicone outer layer over tolex... or... what?

Looks uncomfortable and not fit for purpose from the photos on the CME site. Am I misreading this?

Looks just like the one on my old Matchless to me.

Here’s an example:

bkd94needyo2heizbhr8.jpg

I’ll have to play one to know, but this checks a lot of boxes for me on paper:
  • 20 watt 6v6
  • Cathode biased
  • Good size open back 1x12 cab
  • 31 lbs
  • Under $2,000
It’s officially on my radar.

I do think it would have been kinda cool if they had gone with the octal preamp like the older Gibson Les Paul amps. I love that preamp in the /13 JRT. But I suppose that would have been challenging to source tubes for at this level of mass production.
Awesome Might be a good one for you Met (y)
Have you ever tried or looked into a Victoria Electro King ? I remember really liking it in my Helix

:idk

Last edited:
My friend has an old Gibson amp like that, called an Explorer, not the Falcon. I had a blast playing it. Not practical but just fun and great sounding for what it was. Considering how Gibson is just leaning into its history these days, we’re probably going to see a few more products like this. I actually think the price is reasonable (1) compared to what people will pay for similar products from boutique builders and (2) considering that it says Gibson on it.

Awesome Might be a good one for you Met (y)
Have you ever tried or looked into a Victoria Electro King ? I remember really liking it in my Helix

:idk

I haven’t! For some reason I thought Victoria only did tweed style amps. Very cool that they make this.

I really liked the 5879 preamp in my /13 JRT. I did worry a little about tubes though since they haven’t made 5879’s for a while now.

Back