New Mesa Mark amp coming?

Mark Series Groundhog Day! Mark VI or VII, people will still complain about the
stereotypical Mark series/Mesa Boogie issues.

"It's too complicated!"

"Too many knobs and switches."

"Doesn't sound like my Mark I, II, IIC+, III, IV, V did."

"Why doesn't it have dual 5 band EQs like the JP2C?" :idk

It will be cool if they go back to IIC+ to IV type of push/pull switch versatility, to me the V seems like it compromised true Mark versatility to accommodate the entire Mark history and other British type of tones.
Having never played any Mark series prior to getting a V25 (when they first came out) and comparing that to the Synergy IICP module, I think you're spot on about the versatility. I can dial things with the module and the cascading gain and the brite and shift switches that just aren't possible on the V25 - leaving out the whole power amp part of the equation. I kept trying to tweak the EQ on the V25 to get to Sykes or Metallica and couldn't get there. Those switches and gain stages are essential, IMO...

I read that thread, and the OP didn't answer the question (I haven't checked it recently.) I think it was just a typo. Plus 4k for a Mesa amp and 2x12 cab could very well be a Mark IV and cab. (I transpose characters all the time when I'm typing. And play wrong notes. Maybe there's a connection...)

And with Gibson's business model as I see it, they'll just release re-issues of old amps before inventing something new anyway! :sofa

giphy.gif

Reactions: bgh
I read that thread, and the OP didn't answer the question (I haven't checked it recently.) I think it was just a typo. Plus 4k for a Mesa amp and 2x12 cab could very well be a Mark IV and cab. (I transpose characters all the time when I'm typing. And play wrong notes. Maybe there's a connection...)

And with Gibson's business model as I see it, they'll just release re-issues of old amps before inventing something new anyway! :sofa

He did circle back after I gently reminded him :grin

Hopefully this will flood the market with cheap Mark Vs and I can snag one of those again :idea

I would be very happy with a Mark III reissue

or a tremoverb reissue!!
Tremoverb in a rackmount or in the cinder block form factor with a simulclass power amp would be :chef

As someone who owned a JP2C for 5 years, gigged with it, recorded with it, it is missing two things IMO. 1) a good edge-of-breakup crunchy clean sound, though you can get it close by diming the treble, mid and gain knobs on the clean channel, and 2) simulclass operation. I’m an old 2:90 / Triaxis guy, and I picked up a Mark III a couple years ago as well. Running the 2x6l6 2xEL34 in simulclass is just such a great sound, it’s something I was shocked was missing on the JP2C when I first picked it up. It’s something you don’t notice on a Mark amp until it’s gone, and while the JP2C is in my top 5 of amps ever made, the Mark amp simulclass operation is superior IMO, at least to my ears.

Last edited:
Hopefully this will flood the market with cheap Mark Vs and I can snag one of those again :idea

I would be very happy with a Mark III reissue

or a tremoverb reissue!!
OR A ROADKING REISSUE!

Honestly my wish list for Mesa would be:

100w Road King style rectifier (2x EL34 2x6L6) in a Badlander box.
Triaxis 2, all tube, meant to compete with the modern modelers
50 watt Dual Rec, basically the Mini Rectifier with more power and an onboard CabClone IR

None of that will ever happen, but I’d love to see it

OR A ROADKING REISSUE!

Honestly my wish list for Mesa would be:

100w Road King style rectifier (2x EL34 2x6L6) in a Badlander box.
Triaxis 2, all tube, meant to compete with the modern modelers
50 watt Dual Rec, basically the Mini Rectifier with more power and an onboard CabClone IR

None of that will ever happen, but I’d love to see it

I really don't understand why Triaxis tech never took off. Seems like a no brainer and a way to get soooo much more out of a tube amp then previously possible. It's 2023

Okay, it’s a smallbox (JP-2C, V:35)-sized head, but class A/B solid state power amp, with models of all the classic Mesa amps done in conjunction with Cliff Chase.

When asked, Cliff said “it was an honor to work with Randy on his last project. We know guitarists are traditional at heart, but we feel they’ll love this melding of worlds”.

Back