New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

Yes and it's not a big deal. I just put it on my desk and it works fine. I get it though for super small screens like HX Stomp or something. With a 7-inch touch screen, not having a desktop editor is really not a big deal. It's has never been a big deal with the HR. You are just jumping on the Quad Cortex Whiner Wagon (tm).

Try inputting 45 new rigs at once while sitting on the floor because you need to not only program the amp, cab, and effects train…but also program expression pedal use for each Rig (using your feet to test limits). Then turn around in a couple days and do it all again because you are working with a different band for a few days…and then repeat every time you play with a different band with a different song list. I moved to a Fractal unit because it is so much easier to program using the desktop app and because the Axe-Fx III is much more robust and gig-worthy. I have no experience with the QC so I’m not on their “whiner wagon”. In reality it is you who are on the Headrush Excuse Patrol.

I bought a Headrush Pedalboard within a few months of its release. I have also been active on the Headrush Forum for years. The number one request long-term customers have posted over the years has been a request for a desktop app. So, I am far from alone. I am thrilled that you are happy without a desktop app, but you speak only for yourself…not the many, many users who do need a desktop app.

Last edited:
Well, facts mean nothing to some people…like you. Enjoy ignorance.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Pretty sure you misunderstood what I was saying and who I was saying it, too. :idk

Last edited:
My Buddy has kept his Prime. Have heard it weekly for the past couple of months now.

I am not sold on it. I still think the modern/high-gain tones suffer. The best tones I am hearing
are the Fender cleans, the Edge of break up mid gain tones, and oddly, his OCD pedal
model into the Fenders.

He's also not using the Vocal application due to routing issues to the Board.

I can think of better ways to spend a grand +.... especially since he has an Helix and an LT.

But it ain't my money. :idk

My Buddy has kept his Prime. Have heard it weekly for the past couple of months now.

I am not sold on it. I still think the modern/high-gain tones suffer. The best tones I am hearing
are the Fender cleans, the Edge of break up mid gain tones, and oddly, his OCD pedal
model into the Fenders.

He's also not using the Vocal application due to routing issues to the Board.

I can think of better ways to spend a grand +.... especially since he has an Helix and an LT.

But it ain't my money. :idk

I saw/heard one in action last weekend and I wasn't impressed. It was a Judas Priest Tribute and their KK Downing was using a Prime and their Glenn Tipton was using an MX5. Both direct. Both using Gibsons, one a Flying V and the other an SG. I know the sound guy and he's good so it wasn't him or the Midas desk and EAW speakers, I think that venue uses Crown to amplify. Both guitars sounded thin and muddy. I have had good experiences with my MX5 going direct but I was also using a much smaller system so maybe that factored in I dunno. Maybe they are geared more towards the prosumer side.

As mentioned, ad nauseum, I have been tempted by some of the "practice" related features. It does appear that they did well with that part.
But since Kemper finally added the USB Audio Interface - which clearly was very very difficult, or it wouldn't have taken 10+ years :cuss - I can now have a tempo-adjustable backing track playing through my Kabinet from PC, while I'm playing via ToneX. I don't really need anything else.

Is the sound?

if one cant get great sounds out of the newer Headrush units, the problem isn't the unit. I say this as someone who has owned and extensively used many of the so called high tier modeling units. It does some things way better than Helix I will tell you that. Marshall and Mesa amps to start with then Soldano, some of the effects. Where it does fall short are delays and reverbs. They really need to improve those. The best in there is just ok and some of them outright suck.

if one cant get great sounds out of the newer Headrush units, the problem isn't the unit. I say this as someone who has owned and extensively used many of the so called high tier modeling units. It does some things way better than Helix I will tell you that. Marshall and Mesa amps to start with then Soldano, some of the effects. Where it does fall short are delays and reverbs. They really need to improve those. The best in there is just ok and some of them outright suck.
Compared to the Axe 3 it sucks, poor dynamics, flat and two dimensional .

Compared to the Axe 3 it sucks, poor dynamics, flat and two dimensional .

I just 2 weeks ago compared the two side by side and decided to keep the MX5 because the FM3 was not 500 bucks better. Not even close. Not sure how you used the Headrush unit but to my ears and hands it's far from flat or two dimensional whatever that means. Every unit skins the cat different. It's up to the end user to find how it works best. Fractal is fantastic stuff and of course superior to the headrush stuff but to me I can get where I want on a headrush and be very happy.

I'll be going to listen to the Prime again tonight for another 4 hours or so.

The navigation is bad ass. That touch screen is :chef

Still, no actual editor. And not as sold on the sound as you know who is.

But I am open-minded.
Keep me in the loop, one of these babies could still potentially change my mind from an FM3/9. It could happen and stuff! Or not.

I'll be going to listen to the Prime again tonight for another 4 hours or so.

The navigation is bad ass. That touch screen is :chef

Still, no actual editor. And not as sold on the sound as you know who is.

But I am open-minded.
Bring it home, only way to find out not in some store or someone else's gear or enviro

:idk

For me, the Headrush is one of those products that you think is fantastic while using it, then you go back to your #1 setup and realize why it's your #1 and not the Headrush.

It's not bad, just not as good as the other modelers.

I don't believe they will ever have an editor.

I saw/heard one in action last weekend and I wasn't impressed. It was a Judas Priest Tribute and their KK Downing was using a Prime and their Glenn Tipton was using an MX5. Both direct. Both using Gibsons, one a Flying V and the other an SG. I know the sound guy and he's good so it wasn't him or the Midas desk and EAW speakers, I think that venue uses Crown to amplify. Both guitars sounded thin and muddy. I have had good experiences with my MX5 going direct but I was also using a much smaller system so maybe that factored in I dunno. Maybe they are geared more towards the prosumer side.

That seems a little self contradicting, no? Or do you mean that the reason you weren't impressed by the Prime/MX5 in a live environment was probably down to the users, not the gear?
For me, the Headrush is one of those products that you think is fantastic while using it, then you go back to your #1 setup and realize why it's your #1 and not the Headrush.

It's not bad, just not as good as the other modelers.

I don't believe they will ever have an editor.
Unless you're not a bedroom/studio/professional player with all the time in the world to navigate your unit and edit every little nuance of your presets.

I used to have an Atomic Amplifire and/or an HX Stomp as the center sound of my rig and I really don't miss them after going over to the Headrush Pedalboard. Quite the contrary. I love how easy it is to get a sound that's as good as if not better than those units.
I have never owned a Fractal, Kemper or Neural unit. But I've watched more YT videos of those units than I'd care to admit. And I know that with the little time I have to play guitar, let alone create and edit my sounds, both at home and at rehearsal/live, I wouldn't want to deal with that UI vs. what I have with the Headrush Pedalboard.

And no, I don't really miss the computer editor. The only time my Headrush is connected to a computer is when I need to transfer IRs to it. Which pretty much only happens when York Audio put out a new pack I can't resist buying. I don't often record guitar tones or songs. I just want to have my sound ready for monday night rehearsals with the band or for when we're playing live.

Back