Vai/Satch and the new 3rd Power Dragon Amp

DrewJD82

Staff member
I put this in Amp & Cabs because the Dragon amp was just as much of a delight as dude playing it!!

It was a PERFECT night in Pompano, 75 degrees, a cool breeze and the show started at 7:30 on the dot. Vai opened, not a ton of variation in the set since the last time he was here a year ago. I don't think either of them realized that they were in Ft. Lauderdale and 5 miles from the venue they both played at in the last year due to calling it Pompano Beach. I was 2 seats over from dead center, right in front of FOH. Sound was pretty damn great, just a little murky in the low end.

Seeing Vai do "Teeth Of The Hydra" for the 2nd time, he's definitely gotten comfortable with it, by the end of that song I was surprised the thing didn't fall off the stand, he was gettin' into it! It was also cool to hear how much bass that thing is doing before Phil Bynoe comes in. I didn't hear it as much last year but last night it was thumpin'!

I mostly just watched Vai's set with gratitude floating in my head, I've been seeing that dude live for 28 years and it's always so joyous to see him play. There were a few people around me that never saw him before and hearing the "Holy shit!" or "That guy isn't human" quips was fun.

They started the tour in Orlando, I knew Satch had his new 3rd Power Dragon head because Dylana and @jonhurleyguitar were posting clips from Orlando and I had to avoid them for 24 hours! I wanted to hear it at concert volume for the first time and man, it's hard not to get hyperbolic about these statements but that's the first time I heard Joe Satriani play. He's always had a recognizable tone but I always felt it was hampered by too much saturation somewhere along the way, like it was an aspect he had to deal with to get the sustain/overall vibe he was going for. Not anymore. There's a 'thunk' to the start of every note he hits and when he holds them out, you hear the sizzle bloom on top of them. There's more clarity in his tone and he's not having any issues playing anything he did before, sounds like the opposite.

These are from the night before in Orlando-

And the song they did together, which was actually pretty badass-

Hearing that amp cut through both Vai and Kenny Aronoff's snare was impressive, because Vai's tone is full of so many mids it's hard not to dominate everything.

Dylana posted a clip of her phone right up in Satch's cab from Orlando while he was soloing, it's glorious. I legit got home and started thinking "I can sell the Bogner, Fender and Mesa.....maybe I should trade the FM9 in for an FM3...." I think if I were to get any Marshall-ish head in the next couple years, it's going to be a Dragon.

(Pics snagged from Dylana's FB page)
IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

Last edited:
Glad you went, that's awesome!
That's good to hear about Satch's tone and happy he's honing it in with the new rig. His tone was always best with that biting edge imo (his main distortion was a ds-1 in the early years... hello!) -- and admittedly his saturated and thick/deep tone over the last few decades is not my preferred. But he likes to experiment the same as everyone else. I just have so much respect for these guys still putting it out there night after night..

:headbang

Fuck yeah! Super stoked for you, Joe, and Dylana (as well as the team at 3Rd Power).

I listened to Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing on the radio the other day. Yes, our
local radio station actually played that song.... and I was like, "Man, Joe would have
always sounded so much better and even MORE impactful with better tone."

:sofa

Sounds like it is finally happening. :pickle

I know someone will end up with a Dragon Head here. The race begins. :beer

.... and I was like, "Man, Joe would have

I see what you’re saying, but I kind of disagree. I think Joe purposely went for weird/distinct tones, like choosing bold colours that stand out. Almost cartoon-like, or fantastical, rather than the standard sounds of the day.

Especially on Surfing… with that album it’s like the tones match the comic book vibe of the cover, to me.

I see what you’re saying, but I kind of disagree. I think Joe purposely went for weird/distinct tones, like choosing bold colours that stand out. Almost cartoon-like, or fantastical, rather than the standard sounds of the day.

Especially on Surfing… with that album it’s like the tones match the comic book vibe of the cover, to me.

Oh for sure. You need that Phrygian Tone for the Phrygian Mode. :chef

I am so not beefing with Joe about anything, so please no one assume
that I am. Just shared one thought, from one moment, in a car, driving
down the highway. :idk

#trueconfessionsofalongtimeDS-1denier

:beer

And to expand on that, even the album titles go along with it: Not Of This Earth, Surfing With The Alien, Flying In A Blue Dream, etc.

Like he was creating an alternate, sci-fi, day glo world and the guitar sounds had to exist/live in that world.

(And I think he toned that down, pardon the pun, for the more straight ahead, self-titled album?)

I listened to Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing on the radio the other day. Yes, our
local radio station actually played that song.... and I was like, "Man, Joe would have
I always loved that tone! The whole album actually. That was one of the first Satch riffs I ever learned btw.
My favorite tones of his in terms of an album would have to be The Extremist. I know he used the older Peavey Classic series on most of it.
Joe must not have been totally happy with "his" tone, though. :unsure: :idk :bonk
He sounds like one of us. :rofl

Ive seen Satch and Vai many a times and their playing and stage presence always overshadowed their tones
Not that I ever found them terrible just didn't really quibble about it
That being said though I've always found Joe's tone live was always quite heavy

that amp should be paired with the dragons teeth
Theres a new dragon force in amps

:chef

I have always liked Joe's sound :sofa
Huge Satch fan here as many as you already know.

IMO, he’s had some questionable tones over the years, but he’s essentially playing the role as a singer, so his tone needs to stand out from the average lead guitar player doing a solo.

Notable tones for me are the self-titled album, The Extremist, and Flying in a Blue Dream.

How could Vai's and Satriani's mid-forward tone be good for the music it is part of,
and appreciated, and yet Randy Rhoads's is not?

Inquiring minds want to know. :idk

And to expand on that, even the album titles go along with it: Not Of This Earth, Surfing With The Alien, Flying In A Blue Dream, etc.

Like he was creating an alternate, sci-fi, day glo world and the guitar sounds had to exist/live in that world.

(And I think he toned that down, pardon the pun, for the more straight ahead, self-titled album?)

I put out a mostly instrumental, all original release in 1991 totally inspired by Joe and Steve.

Drum machines included! :LOL:

If not for Joe and Steve (but mostly Joe!) I would have never attempted such a thing. Hearing
that lo-fi vibe on Not of This Earth, and yet incorporating electronic elements, was super
inspiring to young me. :chef

How could Vai's and Satriani's mid-forward tone be good for the music it is part of,

Well Dave I never thought Randy's Tone was bad, it was IMHO perfect for Blizzard of Ozz
And I know because I saw him in a small Venue In Montreal for the Blizzard of Ozz Tour and his tone Live was fantastic unlike his studio album
If anything why some criticize his tone is probably due to production

Rhoads tone is honky and bordering on ugly. The mix of those albums is as a whole that same thing to my ears. Satch tone is good to me so I got nothing. Other than maybe we like what we like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back