New Headrush pedalboard: Headrush Prime

What an underwhelming update, not only for the old units but new ones as well.. Especially considering the fact that it has been in "works" for years.

I'd like to know what @Bob Zaod thinks about the 2.7 update and if he still uses the MX5 - but I guess we'll never know.

What an underwhelming update, not only for the old units but new ones as well.. Especially considering the fact that it has been in "works" for years.

I'd like to know what @Bob Zaod thinks about the 2.7 update and if he still uses the MX5 - but I guess we'll never know.
I'll tell you....it's just what I said it was over a year ago.....

Glorious drive ... morning glory/blue breaker clone
10 band eq, which is kind of redundant when you can have 7 band, parametric and a global....if you need more EQ than that, you have issues ....
And a bass wah ....

That's it ....after this long .....the update doc is 4 pages long.....3 pages is just what was in the updates over the past 3 years ....and instructions how to update ......one paragraph for the actual update.

Headrush is fucking dumb ....but at this point, im pretty sure we all know that ....and we haven't even talked about the sherrAn loopers fiasco ....they are fucked.

Sadly there are those out there in the woods, whom are still very devoted to the cult....wish I could save them, but I can't ...maybe I'll call Leah Remini.

Sadly there are those out there in the woods, whom are still very devoted to the cult....wish I could save them, but I can't ...maybe I'll call Leah Remini.
Wouldn't call Headrush users a cult (hmphhh Fractal..) just that some people do not know any better. And yes of course more power to them if they have found a way to make it work - but I'm not even a wee bit jealous.

They have a great product hindered by nonexistent development team. I would easily consider any of their units to be top tier if they actually listened to their userbase and put a bit more into R&D. I remember when the "new" units released, my lord my lord.. All they did was repackage the old stuff, reworked the UI, included some vocal stuff which was alright, threw in a bunch of old Revalver amps which are average at best and called it a day. Oh yeah, I forgot the tone cloud and capture which actually was a step in the right direction.

It might sound like I hate Headrush, but I don't. It was fun at first when I got mine but after a couple of years I've found out that almost everyone else is doing all this much better.

Wouldn't call Headrush users a cult (hmphhh Fractal..) just that some people do not know any better. And yes of course more power to them if they have found a way to make it work - but I'm not even a wee bit jealous.

They have a great product hindered by nonexistent development team. I would easily consider any of their units to be top tier if they actually listened to their userbase and put a bit more into R&D. I remember when the "new" units released, my lord my lord.. All they did was repackage the old stuff, reworked the UI, included some vocal stuff which was alright, threw in a bunch of old Revalver amps which are average at best and called it a day. Oh yeah, I forgot the tone cloud and capture which actually was a step in the right direction.

It might sound like I hate Headrush, but I don't. It was fun at first when I got mine but after a couple of years I've found out that almost everyone else is doing all this much better.
I totally agree with you. They took all the ideas from the beta team, and then put them on a new device.....using the same hardware, which is why the CPU keeps bogging down ...in a way, the new units are worse than the old.....not sure how it happened, but they have way more issues with cpu overload.

I don't hate them, just don't want to deal with them anymore.

I'll tell you....it's just what I said it was over a year ago.....

Glorious drive ... morning glory/blue breaker clone
10 band eq, which is kind of redundant when you can have 7 band, parametric and a global....if you need more EQ than that, you have issues ....
And a bass wah ....

That's it ....after this long .....the update doc is 4 pages long.....3 pages is just what was in the updates over the past 3 years ....and instructions how to update ......one paragraph for the actual update.

Headrush is fucking dumb ....but at this point, im pretty sure we all know that ....and we haven't even talked about the sherrAn loopers fiasco ....they are fucked.

I think HR is on their way out. They're not even trying at this point.

I think HR is on their way out. They're not even trying at this point.
f6824ef8-fb91-40ac-bc20-2a5dabcf20ae_text.gif

And now I am seeing reports in the forum that the new FW is causing device issues ....how can that happen when it's been in beta for over a year.....

Oh yeah, the same incompetent testers are still not providing detailed bug reports for the missing development team....I guess it's too hard to create a word doc, and use a pre formatted report.....to help make products better ...one of the reasons I left.... 🤡

Are you there Bob; it's me, JiveTurkey.

Synth stuff sounds good but slow playing generally always means polyphonic is surrounded by air quotes. Also sucks that it's not for the OG HR units. Did they ever fix the crazy latency in the capture block?

Now the new units are dropped in price at all retailers. Core now 699us prime 999us.

With the added synth and adjusted signal paths ...this is going to push the rest of the units out the door ... actually very smart from a business stand point.

(I have a loony theory about the future of InMusic brands....but I'll keep that to myself....very interesting.)

Are you there Bob; it's me, JiveTurkey.

Synth stuff sounds good but slow playing generally always means polyphonic is surrounded by air quotes. Also sucks that it's not for the OG HR units. Did they ever fix the crazy latency in the capture block?

Guy in my band bought Headrush Core on a whim from GC and he really likes it. Honestly, there are some good sounding patches, but I suspect he's like a lot of Headrush customers: A) He'll never bother updating it and B) He'll never bother with cloning an amp or downloading a clone pack from Choptones or whoever else.

do tell...?
There is the looper board, which came out after the mx5, but before the prime. That was typically unsupported, and essentially turned to vaporware. They abandoned their own beta...quit responding to any looperboard users, all with major flaws and issues along with broken promises from launch. This was an expensive piece of equipment, and could have been amazing.

THEN... They surprisingly announced the Sheeran loopers without any member from betas knowing about it, and it is essentially a looper board with limited, but specific to ed, features.

This sent the looperboard users into a frenzy on the HR forum....and to top it all off, it sent a bunch of prospective Sheeran users into the HR forum.....all while saying officially that it wasn't a HR product. This confused new users, and made current ones very upset.... because HR wouldn't address any issues with either.

Then the units came out, they gave it a section on the forum/site, but you can't download the firmware from there......so confusing.

Now that they are in the wild, they are failing and have a shit ton of issues.....and they aren't responding.... again..... surprise.

I understand that for most basic users, most of their offerings are adequate....but the issues are far too many to justify any further customer purchases.

If anyone expects anything else from them....they are wasting their time.

I totally agree with you. They took all the ideas from the beta team, and then put them on a new device.....using the same hardware, which is why the CPU keeps bogging down ...in a way, the new units are worse than the old.....not sure how it happened, but they have way more issues with cpu overload.

I don't hate them, just don't want to deal with them anymore.
Same thing zoom does with the g6/11

Same thing zoom does with the g6/11
Well... I don't agree, sorry.

You can like Zoom or not. You can argue they're overpriced... Maybe.

But:

G6/G11 have totally different hardware than previous units (touch screens, different layout, different I/o options, wireless options, additional displays and dedicated controls for amp models or stereo FX loop or MIDI in the G11). Actually, they've absolutely designed them from scratch.

Regarding the software, they've improved the models (yeah, that multilayer thing, you know) and included IRs and USB audio. So they aren't the same as previous ones either.

If you take a look at the comparison against the helix, from Leo, you will see that, tonewise, the quality is more or less on par (Leo had to admit he was surprised).

Now, what Zoom is not doing is the update game. They usually launch flawless units, so they don't need to fix too many things compared to almost any other brand in that price range. And they don't make improvements either... Usually they update firmwares once or twice, nothing more.

Apart from that, Zoom is continuously releasing products. Not only guitar related units (recently the upgraded MS series), but also voice processors or handy recorders. They don't look like a nearly dead company regarding development. Actually, it's the contrary.

I don't see where's the similarity with Headrush, honestly.

Last edited:
I don't see where's the similarity with Headrush, honestly.

Gotta agree with all you've said.
Unfortunately, Zoom has gotten it wrong, though. Their G11 could possibly be great but instead it's a nightmare. The lower row of switches is positioned/organized just soo wrong I can hardly believe it.
Apart from that, I'm done with Zoom because they sort of actively destroyed my UAC-2 interface through some FW update (and yes, I'm serious and can pretty much prove it). No answer from their support, either, german supplier sticks its head into the sand.

Enough Zoom OT, back to Headrush - who missed opportunities left and right, too, IMO. I still remember checking their pedalboard for the first time and how amazed I've been regarding ease of use. Designing a very useful patch from scratch has been a matter of seconds rather than minutes, without ever looking into any manual. But then, they missed out on a lot of other things, so no thank you.

No answer from their support, either, german supplier sticks its head into the sand.
Yeah, I get it.

I had a problem with a recorder, contacted them and they replied me. Sadly, their solution would have costed approx the same as a new unit.

And yes again regarding Zoom decisions on their new units. One can say they've been brave... They followed a different path compared to all other brands. I guess their bet was not a winner.

Nevertheless, I still respect Zoom. Guitar multieffects world is becoming a bunch of brands doing the same, basically.

Yeah, InMusic uses that processor across multiple subbrands - Akai as well. They have 'em in bulk and have no reason not to. Headrush is ultimately just another cog in their portfolio, and the Headrush "development" shows as much.
Oh I know ....I was getting flamed on other forums for saying as such....to be honest, I was booted from their forum and another for saying this exactly, and was told on reddit that my product was inferior to another HR product....when I knew they were the same.....got down voted to the abyss ...and called all sorts of names....this just confirmed my knowledge...from an expert in the field.....just chuffed at it. I'm now a fractal convert.

Back