MIA ?

Oh man, sorry to hear that TS. :hugitout

It does seem to be in the nature of a certain stage of adulthood where you
may have to navigate children and a family and also aging parents. Can we
fit a job or a business in there, too? :brick

People are having children later in life than ever before, so I think it happens more
and more as a result.

Things ok on your end, or are you still in the midst of it all? :idk

Oh man, sorry to hear that TS. :hugitout

It does seem to be in the nature of a certain stage of adulthood where you
may have to navigate children and a family and also aging parents. Can we
fit a job or a business in there, too? :brick

People are having children later in life than ever before, so I think it happens more
and more as a result.

Things ok on your end, or are you still in the midst of it all? :idk

We’re mostly on the other side of it now, thanks for asking.

Much mojo to both @la szum and @TubeStack.

I’ve had some recent experience the last couple of years. My dad passed in June of 2021 after having some issues with a small tumor around a kidney the previous few months. He was on the road to a pretty full recovery, then suddenly died of a heart attack. While I knew he had some circulatory issues for awhile, it wasn’t until after he had passed that my mom told me how serious that condition was, going back for the last 13 years or so :oops::(. He was 81, though, and had been a two-pack-a-day smoker from his teens to about the time of when the circulatory issues came about, so all things considered, he had a pretty good run.

Since then, I have gone to visit my mom about one weekend a month (she’s in Illinois; I had relocated to the Columbus, OH area about 5 1/2 years ago). She never was the easiest person to deal with, and my dad’s passing certainly didn’t help - they were together for 58 years…anyway, she had her own heart issue about a year ago (mild heart attack), but she recovered from that almost immediately. I have a younger brother that lives about an hour away in Chicago, and she’s lucky if he even phones her once a week :rolleyes:.

I guess many of us here are at that age where we have to face these situations and get through them the best we can. I wish all of you dealing with similar circumstances the very best.

Sorry you're going through it @la szum. It sucks getting old! My MiL is dealing with Alzheimer's and dementia, and FiL is on the front line. It's wearing both of them down and it's really coming to a head this past year. She's injuring herself and not remembering, forgetting meds, unable to write coherent messages, refusing outside help, gets annoyed when we do try and help.

Were all going to be traveling together for Thanksgiving, my brother in law is getting married in Pittsburgh, PA the week prior so we all expect MiL to be a mess. My wife is officiating the marriage, my job will be keeping my youngest (wildcard) daughter away from my MiL and my MiL calm through the ceremony so my FiL can fulfill his duties too.

At least I don't have to deal with backstabbing family during this mess, luckily for me all those types are all on my side of the family and I keep them at a safe distance.

Oh no, Alex. Totally get that. Never for a moment thought anyone was piling on. Actually does my
heart good (and hopefully yours and others) to share this openly. We be men, and sometimes we trudge
on carrying it all on our shoulders, as if we are obligated to for some sick reason.

Hope you all have an epic roadtrip---in spite of, or because of, the challenges. Never know when it
is the last, do we? I bet it will be great for your kids. :beer

Back