I think we have finally reached Peak Boutique Pickup B/Sh$t !

Haven't had the pleasure to play Throbacks yet. I do have Custombuckers which are pretty good and Brandonwound pafs which are amazing.

Come on, they're just wrapped wire around bobbins supported by a magnet, worth $5.

I don't like that but if that's your thing ...

Well, I don't like that, either, but it seems to be common as soon as it's about Duesenberg products and Mr. Eagle. Cheap korean POS guitars with $5 pickups, right?

The market is players who like vintage gear. Half of my customers . Collectors want original stuff but magnets loose their strength over time and these are an option that is as close as possible to NOS.
You would be willing to pop open a PAF and replace its OG magnet? And you have customers that ask you to do this? That is truly bizarre.

G&B is a Korean OEM pickup manufacturer that typically cost between $5 and $10 to make a pickup . They produce pickups for a wide range of builders that includes Deusenberg . They make PRS SE ,EVH Korean on MIM guitars and even the pickups on the MIJ Charvel Guthrie. Also the Ibanez V7~8 and similar . Throback are hand built vintage replica Paf built using the winding machine from the Gibson factory in 1957 the bobbin mould also original ,the Pickup cover is from an original press too. All the magnets and other components are from original suppliers where possible to the exact original material spec. They are literally the originals built today . If that is what you want it is reasonably expensive to do but they aren't selling you a $5 pickup for $250.

I cant decide which is the bigger load of "scammy" bullshit ... these US$60 USA Made Magnets -or- the new PRS Tuner buttons that impact on the guitars midrange -or- the $US1000 Gibson PAF's

I dont know the origins of the saying .... but as they say .... "a fool and their money are soon separated".

Ben

I cant decide which is the bigger load of "scammy" bullshit ... these US$60 USA Made Magnets -or- the new PRS Tuner buttons that impact on the guitars midrange -or- the $US1000 Gibson PAF's

I dont know the origins of the saying .... but as they say .... "a fool and their money are soon separated".

Ben
If you can't tell the difference don't pay it.

You would be willing to pop open a PAF and replace its OG magnet? And you have customers that ask you to do this? That is truly bizarre.
IMG_1189.jpeg

Here is a set I did exactly that too . Some dick had removed the covers and replaced the magnet sometime ago and I put them back together. Not common though. I do get real pafs in all the time and honestly the Throbak stuff is just good.

I didn't even consider swapping pickups in either of the last 2 guitars I bought. Just not anything that's on my radar anymore

View attachment 19606
Here is a set I did exactly that too . Some dick had removed the covers and replaced the magnet sometime ago and I put them back together. Not common though. I do get real pafs in all the time and honestly the Throbak stuff is just good.
That's not what I asked. You stated that the magnets in PAFs go weak over time and folks in those instances would want to replace the magnet. Which seems insane to me. Keep the PAFs original without popping them open if at all possible; put in pickups of your choice if you want to be able to play and enjoy the guitar in the meantime, seems like it would be the approach most folks would take?

If you can't tell the difference don't pay it.

Hey. This is a forum and here is my subjective opinion.

^^^ Thats actually *not* my point *at all* .... I think this video below encapsulates everything there is to know about Throbak USA Magnets or PRS Tuning Pegs or $1000 Gibson PAF's etc.... or pretty much anything to do with selling the bullshit around Vintage gear.

The 2 actual real unsuspecting people in this clip highlight my point precisely.

Ben

That's not what I asked. You stated that the magnets in PAFs go weak over time and folks in those instances would want to replace the magnet. Which seems insane to me. Keep the PAFs original without popping them open if at all possible; put in pickups of your choice if you want to be able to play and enjoy the guitar in the meantime, seems like it would be the approach most folks would take?
I have done it once but I didn’t recommend it. The above is far more common because people did all kinds of stuff to try and get more output in the 70s . Restoration often starts with something that doesn’t work at all. These days stuff that is untouched will stay that way.

Back