I think I'm going all digital with my Boss GT-1000Core. (TL;dr)

It's not so much about frequency degration but about how differently especially the volume pot acts when presented different impedances. This is where there's really clear differences.
Kindly disagree. My opinion is that you won't find remarkable differences in pot behaviour with 1M vs 2M inputs... If any.

You'll find clear frequency degradation in 100k inputs, which won't occur with 1M inputs, or higher. But pot behaviour is not a problem AFAIK.

You'll find clear frequency degradation in 100k inputs, which won't occur with 1M inputs, or higher. But pot behaviour is not a problem AFAIK.

When switching the HX series inputs from 1MOhm to anything else, the differences in volume pot behaviour are *incredibly* obvious, pretty much drastical even. With each and every passive guitar.

Reactions: JT
When switching the HX series inputs from 1MOhm to anything else, the differences in volume pot behaviour are *incredibly* obvious, pretty much drastical even. With each and every passive guitar.
I can't tell for sure, obviously. All I can say is my Helix LT was not good in the input section, as I already said sometimes. It made something to the signal which I didn't like.

That said, I didn't notice excessive differences in tone from 500k up.

When I have some time, I'll try to experiment with a 10M pre I have, to see if the volume put makes something weird. As for now, I've read lots and lots of docs related to impedances in audio, and the only thing I could think that might affect the volume pot is just its relationship with input impedances, since the pot is just another impedance (variable). Never ever read anything about input impedances that would cause problems with guitar pot. This is the first time. It's always related to frequency transference.

I can't tell for sure, obviously. All I can say is my Helix LT was not good in the input section, as I already said sometimes. It made something to the signal which I didn't like.

It also depends a lot on your volume and tone pot circuits (treble bleed yes/no, which cap value, 50s wiring, etc.), different cables will make yet another difference at different impedances, too. But still, regardless of what guitar and cable I'm using, the differences are incredibly noticeable - the most on my volume pots.
Now, as I don't have any 2MOhm input circuits to try with, I can't tell whether things are in fact getting not noticeable anymore at higher impedances, but given how much of a difference there is even between some values sort of close to each other, I can't imagine going to 2MOhm won't be noticeable. Sure, possibly way less of a difference, but the volume pot behaviour will very likely still be changing quite a bit.

The MS-3 is $450 USD street price, it's outdated and doesn't have anywhere the same level of effects the Core offers, and the effects I want and need to use don't exist in the MS-3.
It’s efx are definitely more basic…I figured the drives you need are all in there…and those “standard Boss drives” in there are the same as the Cores afaik….Core could maybe do the exotic stuff. In my mind the efx are a bonus on top of its pedal looper/midi controller capabilities.
Anyway…apparently it doesn’t tickle you ;)

Nice! I'm still 100% GT-1000 (full board) into FOH for all gigs for acoustic, electric and bass. No matter what I try, I just can't find a suitable replacement.

Back