I think we have finally reached Peak Boutique Pickup B/Sh$t !

Dunno.
Part of the difficulty to make Wide Range Humbucker replicas was that the exact CuNiFer alloy wasn't available anymore.
I don't know the back story of these magnet bars, but getting these to close specs of a custom alloy will get expensive fast.
I've browsed around the Throbak website, and their target audience seems to be dental lawyers. They charge what the market will bear, i guess...

Reactions: SKU
Dunno.
Part of the difficulty to make Wide Range Humbucker replicas was that the exact CuNiFer alloy wasn't available anymore.
I don't know the back story of these magnet bars, but getting these to close specs of a custom alloy will get expensive fast.
I've browsed around the Throbak website, and their target audience seems to be dental lawyers. They charge what the market will bear, i guess...
Interestingly this applies to many things. Have you ever noticed how metal and plastic objects from the 70s have a different texture and weight to them?
There are many things that are not made the way they used to be so seeking "vintage" stuff is not really crazy.

Last edited:
On the pickups I MIGHT agree. On the magnets -- I can't agree. (1) Who has vintage accurate pickups but...not a vintage accurate magnet?; (2) that he is offering 8 different variations of it suggests...there is no such thing as "vintage accurate" on this item.
Quit a few vintage Gibson pickups have had the magnets swapped out to increase the gain in the past. These would be a good option. And yes vintage sand cast long magnets is a thing.

Dunno.
The market is players who like vintage gear. Half of my customers . Collectors want original stuff but magnets loose their strength over time and these are an option that is as close as possible to NOS.

Its not complicated if you don't want vintage replacement replica parts as close to the originals as possible Throbak products are not for you. But they are not overpriced. These almost certainly have a lower percentage mark up than the pickups made by G&B in low to mid price instrument and Duesenberg.

Insane Clown Posse Celebs GIF

that makes zero sense unless you believe "vintage" applies to a single object ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not a PAF history expert, so maybe I'm wrong. I know they varied in terms of A2, A3 and A5 alloy composition, but are their known different material and/or casting processes for those alloys that would lead to 8 different magnet types that are made to an objective vintage specification?

I get sand casting is a thing. I get the dimensions of the magnet are a thing. I get the alloy is a thing. All of which are available from various vendors for...a lot less than $118 a pop.

But if he's sand casting a few variations on A5 magnets that he finds to sound closer to certain examples of vintage pickups than...that aspect of it isn't really "vintage spec" but more "subjective variation"?

The Throbak magnets are as close as possible to all the various types that have been found in early paf and pat pickups. The price is the price. You can buy magnets similar but I don’t know of anything better than this if vintage correct is your aim. They are pretty much identical to the originals .They replicate same materials same production methods.

There are a number of things in our modern world that can't be made the way they were back in the day. This happens with electronics because we keep refining the materials and processes to the point where you can use the exact same components and it will still sound different because the quality of the components has changed and some degradation in components could be part of the sound of the item. I am mostly referring to old pedals with this. They can't even make some of the chips in pedals the same way the used to because the quality of the materials is not the same.

As for the magnets, I could only see a use for them if you are repairing an old pickup. I think putting those magnets in a modern pickup isn't going to produce the same result. There are plenty of manufacturers of magnets and pickups that are producing products that get you into that range of the old PAF pickups. Keep in mind that we are also plugging these pickups into modern or more modern pedals and amps for the most part. I know for my own preferences, these magnets are not something that interests me. I would be much more likely to buy the pickups. I would expect those to be built with a formula that produces the result the builder has meant to produce. That is much different than putting expensive magnets into something else hoping for a result like that.

There are a number of things in our modern world that can't be made the way they were back in the day. This happens with electronics because we keep refining the materials and processes to the point where you can use the exact same components and it will still sound different because the quality of the components has changed and some degradation in components could be part of the sound of the item. I am mostly referring to old pedals with this. They can't even make some of the chips in pedals the same way the used to because the quality of the materials is not the same.

As for the magnets, I could only see a use for them if you are repairing an old pickup. I think putting those magnets in a modern pickup isn't going to produce the same result. There are plenty of manufacturers of magnets and pickups that are producing products that get you into that range of the old PAF pickups. Keep in mind that we are also plugging these pickups into modern or more modern pedals and amps for the most part. I know for my own preferences, these magnets are not something that interests me. I would be much more likely to buy the pickups. I would expect those to be built with a formula that produces the result the builder has meant to produce. That is much different than putting expensive magnets into something else hoping for a result like that.
I agree that these are basically for restoration.

The "hey at least it's less expensive than super expensive thing" comparison is weird to me. That would only make sense if there wasn't a tons of products that are also very high quality but don't cost that much. For the price of the magnets you can almost get a whole pickup even from some boutique manufacturers.

There's a lot of companies claiming to make vintage authentic pickups of whatever kind, but the reality is that 99% of people who buy those probably have never played a guitar with actual vintage pickups so they are basically buying into a lore.

I've got a few of that type pickups too in my guitars and they sound great, but at the same time I have no idea if they sound like some vintage pickups.

You can buy 1 of these "USA Magnets" for US$60 -or- 1 x Dimarzio 36th Anniversary whole PAF Pickup for US $99.

" I rest my case your honor "

Ben

You can buy 1 of these "USA Magnets" for US$60 -or- 1 x Dimarzio 36th Anniversary whole PAF Pickup for US $99.

" I rest my case your honor "

Ben
It’s a great pickup but not really the same thing at all.,

You have *no* (and that is really exactly *zero*) of an idea about Duesenberg pickups. But hey, keep outing yourself.
Aren't they just wrapped wire around bobbins supported by a magnet like all other pickups? What's so special about them?

Aren't they just wrapped wire around bobbins supported by a magnet like all other pickups? What's so special about them?

Play them.

And fwiw, aren't the Throbak pickups Mr. Eagle is defending as "not too expensive" just the same?

Play them.

And fwiw, aren't the Throbak pickups Mr. Eagle is defending as "not too expensive" just the same?
Haven't had the pleasure to play Throbacks yet. I do have Custombuckers which are pretty good and Brandonwound pafs which are amazing.

Back