I think we have finally reached Peak Boutique Pickup B/Sh$t !

That is insane. No freaking way I would pay that. I guess we now know why the new limited edition pickups from Gibson are priced so high.

Are they… rare earth magnets? Like really, really… rare… :crazy

Might not make a difference for most but in the right unpotted pickups with true vintage celluloid bobins and the right guitars made to vintage specs with real tone wood they do ...

Have you tried them? I have Throbak 101s in my PRS and have fitted a lot of sets. I have also A/B tested them against original pafs and if that is the sound you want they are a lot cheaper than £8k for a pair of originals.

Might not make a difference for most but in the right unpotted pickups with true vintage celluloid bobins and the right guitars made to vintage specs with real tone wood they do ...
Correct . I suggest most people just buy a pair of the pickups though. These are great for vintage restoration work.

unpotted pickups with true vintage celluloid bobins and the right guitars made to vintage specs with real tone wood
Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

Have you tried them? I have Throbak 101s in my PRS and have fitted a lot of sets. I have also A/B tested them against original pafs and if that is the sound you want they are a lot cheaper than £8k for a pair of originals.
The "hey at least it's less expensive than super expensive thing" comparison is weird to me. That would only make sense if there wasn't a tons of products that are also very high quality but don't cost that much. For the price of the magnets you can almost get a whole pickup even from some boutique manufacturers.

There's a lot of companies claiming to make vintage authentic pickups of whatever kind, but the reality is that 99% of people who buy those probably have never played a guitar with actual vintage pickups so they are basically buying into a lore.

I've got a few of that type pickups too in my guitars and they sound great, but at the same time I have no idea if they sound like some vintage pickups.

Yeah ... I know all the "arguments" and the gifs and the jokes from TOP. What I wrote was excessive, on purpose, but I do believe that guitars are not the same. What I also find peculiar with TOP is that they loose their minds over every new shitty little device and every new cheap trendy guitar. In other words they'd like everything to be dumbed down to their mediocre level and superficial minds while dismissing quality things. And there are quality and stupid things in this world. Not everyone over there is like that obviously but whenever more ... esoteric let's say ... things are discussed the hivemind army of human automatons never fail to make their appearence.

Last edited:
These things -- they act to separate commodity from piece of craftsmanship. Some may even prefer the sound over other magnets. They do not, however, make the thing a finer instrument.

These things -- they act to separate commodity from piece of craftsmanship. Some may even prefer the sound over other magnets. They do not, however, make the thing a finer instrument.
If you need new magnets for a pat or paf for some reason these are a good option but otherwise I would just buy the pickups.

If you need new magnets for a pat or paf for some reason these are a good option but otherwise I would just buy the pickups.
Same comment applies to the pickups. I'm not gonna completely fault the guy, cause he's got a pretty cool thing going with the OG winders (I think this is him?) etc., but the impact these things have on a guitar has nothing to do with objectively improving it as an instrument.

Same comment applies to the pickups. I'm not gonna completely fault the guy, cause he's got a pretty cool thing going with the OG winders (I think this is him?) etc., but the impact these things have on a guitar has nothing to do with objectively improving it as an instrument.
Yes but this is about vintage accurate tone and look. There is plenty of generic good but this is fine art, not the same market.

Yes but this is about vintage accurate tone and look. There is plenty of generic good but this is fine art, not the same market.
On the pickups I MIGHT agree. On the magnets -- I can't agree. (1) Who has vintage accurate pickups but...not a vintage accurate magnet?; (2) that he is offering 8 different variations of it suggests...there is no such thing as "vintage accurate" on this item.

Back