I Am Listening To Every Queensryche Album In Chronological Order

And don’t forget that Paul Northfield (Queensrÿche’s Operation: Mindcrime) produced Systematic Chaos. 😉

Among many other albums Dream Theater was influenced from.
Wow! I knew he produced certain DT albums, but didn't know he did Mindcrime. Didn't he also produce for Rush? (And was a reason DT wanted to use him, iirc?)

On the topic of QR & DT trivia..., is it true Petrucci wrote the lyrics to As I Am as some sort of response to what one of the guys in QR said, either to him, or about their songs..., some sort of "critique"? "You cannot touch the way I play, or tell me what to say..." Or did I dream that?

On the topic of QR & DT trivia..., is it true Petrucci wrote the lyrics to As I Am as some sort of response to what one of the guys in QR said, either to him, or about their songs..., some sort of "critique"? "You cannot touch the way I play, or tell me what to say..." Or did I dream that?

Just checked. Wow. Mike Stone of all people. :facepalm

If I was John I wouldn't have even been threatened enough by that to write a song about it.

Hilarious and absurd! :LOL:

Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 16-39-46 Train of Thought (Dream Theater album) - Wikipedia.png

I recall seeing a snippet about that. Don't quote me, but I think both John and Mike were
feeling backlash from the DT fanbase (DT's early online group forum) where they saw
their own fans criticizing their song/note/performance choices. I don't remember anything
QR specific, though.
Oh Mike definitely was. And he put his into Never Enough. Some of it speaks directly to the fans:

Sacrifice my life
Neglect my kids and wife
All for you to be happy
All those sleepness nights
And countless fights to give you more
And then you say how dare that
I didn't write you back
I must be too good for you
I only care about myself

I remember Mike discussing the "not writing back" in an old interview somewhere.

Just checked. Wow. Mike Stone of all people. :facepalm

If I was John I wouldn't have even been threatened enough by that to write a song about it.

Hilarious and absurd! :LOL:

View attachment 5387
DAMMMMMMNNN SON!!

So this would've been on that tour that I mentioned not digging, partly due to Chris having left. Wow!! MS was a disappointment. To me.

You know, as a QR fan, those solos are about as memorable as a lyric melody. Ie, you play them the WAY THEY WERE RECORDED.

He didn't. At least on some songs. And then to give John Petrucci "tips?" Haha

DAMMMMMMNNN SON!!

So this would've been on that tour that I mentioned not digging, partly due to Chris having left. Wow!! MS was a disappointment. To me.

You know, as a QR fan, those solos are about as memorable as a lyric melody. Ie, you play them the WAY THEY WERE RECORDED.

He didn't. At least on some songs. And then to give John Petrucci "tips?" Haha

He was one of the main reasons I checked out of following QR for about a decade. I just thought
he was awful. Not a good fit. To me.

I can't imagine thinking enough of myself to alter those solos. :facepalm

Pretty sure he is back in the band, though. You know @DrewJD82 ?

He was one of the main reasons I checked out of following QR for about a decade. I just thought
he was awful. Not a good fit. To me.

I can't imagine thinking enough of myself to alter those solos. :facepalm
Is he current Rudolph Schenker starter kit guy or bald goateed hobbit with the top hat?

As a kid, I had Operation: Mindcrime on vinyl. I think I saw it on sale and thought the cover looked cool, not knowing who the band was. I ended up liking it and they kind of remained a mysterious band I didn’t know much about.

I later loved Empire, was in high school by then, and just went nuts over Silent Lucidity and the whole album.

Recently heard One And Only, came up on my Apple Music random station, after forgetting about it and not hearing it since those days. Love that track! Just great on every level. Really gotta give the whole album a re-listen.

Started a thread about it here.

Great thread and band choice, @la szum !

Back