I Am Listening To Every Queensryche Album In Chronological Order

Didn't you go to their show recently @DrewJD82 ?

It said sold out on the website from day one, I figured it was a glitch but my buddy who runs sound there said it’s actually pretty accurate (ticketmaster’s site as well). Showed up on show night assuming they’d still let me get a ticket at the door because I’ve never seen them sell this venue out. They sold it out on the first f*cking day, I couldn’t get it. First time I’ve missed them since Todd’s been in the band, it’s been 3-4 shows now. He’s the real deal, man.

They have been canceling because of Todd's voice here lately. Be careful!

All good now!

E1A405E9-3B51-4EA2-95E9-96B450AF08DA.jpeg

A clip from last night-

Last edited:
I am prepared to be surprised. I also listened to Train Of Thought again today. DT at its most brutal. Or as brutal
as Prog can be. :LOL:

Having my assumptions challenged is a good thing. I need to get past basing all my notions of what the world
is and isn't on 16-35 year old Dave and what he thought. :facepalm
Maybe it will be surprising?

The tour I saw them on was after the release of Empire. They played Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety. Same tour as Operation: Livecrime. Or was it Building Empires? Can't remember exactly what year. They were all in their prime. Sick show.

Edit: I've go the ticket stub somewhere. I'll have to dig it up.

The tour I saw them on was after the release of Empire. They played Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety. Same tour as Operation: Livecrime. Or was it Building Empires? Can't remember exactly what year. They were all in their prime. Sick show.

Edit: I've go the ticket stub somewhere. I'll have to dig it up.

Yeah, they did Mindcrime in it's entirety on the Building Empires tour because they could finally afford the production to use the video screens. I'm not sure they played it in it's entirety until that tour, which I'd imagine was a pretty killer show!

I love everything through Promised Land, as well as the first one with LaTorre. To me though, Rage for Order is the best. I almost fell to my knees seeing the Rage for Order display at the rock museum when I lived in Seattle. The thing with Rage for Order is that the production is so audiophile and so creative at the same time; it is one of those examples in rock where the production actually serves the music as if Kernon were a member of the band. It's my favorite production in music. I so wish The Warning had that kind of treatment, because those songs are even more epic and huge as a whole, but, even though they were at Abbey Road for that one, the only person who was recorded and mixed with power to me was Tate. But Roads to Madness is one of the most epic things I've ever experienced. I actually have a playlist that includes Mr. Roboto by Styx and NM156 haha. But my favorite song by them overall is Screaming In Digital, followed by Neue Regal. I mean, no one could be weirder, and no one could make me love weirdness more! I could write pages about this band, but I'll leave it at that. Excellent idea for a thread.

I love everything through Promised Land, as well as the first one with LaTorre. To me though, Rage for Order is the best. I almost fell to my knees seeing the Rage for Order display at the rock museum when I lived in Seattle. The thing with Rage for Order is that the production is so audiophile and so creative at the same time; it is one of those examples in rock where the production actually serves the music as if Kernon were a member of the band. It's my favorite production in music. I so wish The Warning had that kind of treatment, because those songs are even more epic and huge as a whole, but, even though they were at Abbey Road for that one, the only person who was recorded and mixed with power to me was Tate. But Roads to Madness is one of the most epic things I've ever experienced. I actually have a playlist that includes Mr. Roboto by Styx and NM156 haha. But my favorite song by them overall is Screaming In Digital, followed by Neue Regal. I mean, no one could be weirder, and no one could make me love weirdness more! I could write pages about this band, but I'll leave it at that. Excellent idea for a thread.

I’ve often said the same thing about The Warning getting RFO’s production. A part of me would love to hear those albums re-mixed to bring the quality level up to a modern standard without f*cking up anything that was done on it originally, a 5.1 mix of RFO would probably have me in my living room for a week straight without doing anything but pissing in a bucket and eating potato chips.

I’ve often said the same thing about The Warning getting RFO’s production. A part of me would love to hear those albums re-mixed to bring the quality level up to a modern standard without f*cking up anything that was done on it originally, a 5.1 mix of RFO would probably have me in my living room for a week straight without doing anything but pissing in a bucket and eating potato chips.

Haha The Howard Hughes Effect!

Great shout on The Warning with Rage For Order production. YUM! :chef

I love Rage For Order. Listening to it now. But the songs are not their best. There are misses.
For me. I can't stand that Dalbello cover :facepalm , and as I recall it was the 1st single off the Album.
Maybe a record company move and not a band decision. I don't know. Just feels out of place.

Oh, and the acoustic tones on Rage are sublime. Absolutely, and utterly sublime.

Walk In The Shadows
is one of the great album openers of all time. And one of the things I appreciate
about Queensryche in the context of Progressive music is their ability to self-edit. That is SO NOT a strong
suit of a lot of Progressive Rock/Metal bands. Not mentioning any names. :LOL:

The compositions are progressive while also being tight and the band never comes across as being self-indulgent.
Their playing and choices of arrangement always seem to serve the composition, and not the other way around.

Great shout on The Warning with Rage For Order production. YUM! :chef

I love Rage For Order. Listening to it now. But the songs are not their best. There are misses.
For me. I can't stand that Dalbello cover :facepalm , and as I recall it was the 1st single off the Album.
Maybe a record company move and not a band decision. I don't know. Just feels out of place.

Oh, and the acoustic tones on Rage are sublime. Absolutely, and utterly sublime.

Walk In The Shadows is one of the great album openers of all time. And one of the things I appreciate
about Queensryche in the context of Progressive music is their ability to self-edit. That is SO NOT a strong
suit of a lot of Progressive Rock/Metal bands. Not mentioning any names. :LOL:

The compositions are progressive while also being tight and the band never comes across as being self-indulgent.
Their playing and choices of arrangement always seem to serve the composition, and not the other way around.

So much yes.

I think Ryche's take on prog is entirely what allowed me to get into Dream Theater in my teens, but as time went on, I found myself digging less of the technically-focused prog and more on the abstract/unique elements that make something prog. I'll take Tool and Devin Townsend over 99% of Olympics-style playing.

I'd go as far as saying that RFO in the 80's is equal to what Dark Side was in the 70's in regards to production. I don't know of any other album that incorporated stuff like this around this time. "Screaming In Digital" itself is just nuts. If I remember right, that's a typewriter sample that's been pitched down in the verses. Then the pitched down vocals, backwards reverbs, panning flying all over....they made the kitchen sink and threw it in the song. That chorus, though!!! I NEVER get tired of hearing it. This is absolutely where I first heard a counter melody in a chorus....hahaha the more I think about this the more I realize how much sh*t I've ripped off from this band. :rofl"

While I think other albums have better collections of songs, the songs on RFO I dig the most are among my favorite Ryche tunes, "Walk In The Shadows", "I Only Dream In Infrared", "Neue Regel", "I Will Remember".....man, I love those songs so much.

Imagine catching this show back then, in this particular venue-

So much yes.

I think Ryche's take on prog is entirely what allowed me to get into Dream Theater in my teens, but as time went on, I found myself digging less of the technically-focused prog and more on the abstract/unique elements that make something prog. I'll take Tool and Devin Townsend over 99% of Olympics-style playing.

I'd go as far as saying that RFO in the 80's is equal to what Dark Side was in the 70's in regards to production. I don't know of any other album that incorporated stuff like this around this time. "Screaming In Digital" itself is just nuts. If I remember right, that's a typewriter sample that's been pitched down in the verses. Then the pitched down vocals, backwards reverbs, panning flying all over....they made the kitchen sink and threw it in the song. That chorus, though!!! I NEVER get tired of hearing it. This is absolutely where I first heard a counter melody in a chorus....hahaha the more I think about this the more I realize how much sh*t I've ripped off from this band. :rofl"

While I think other albums have better collections of songs, the songs on RFO I dig the most are among my favorite Ryche tunes, "Walk In The Shadows", "I Only Dream In Infrared", "Neue Regel", "I Will Remember".....man, I love those songs so much.

Imagine catching this show back then, in this particular venue-

The one thing I'll complain about QR, influence wise back in the day is the proliferation of cocky lead singers who tried to be Tate and failed miserably. That whole vibe was rampant with all sorts of singers back in the day :oops:

Michael Wilton posted this up when he was working on one of the newer Ryche albums-

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 8.08.52 PM.png

He's all Kemper these days but and generally has a halfstack behind him I think he slaves out of the Kemper, using profiles of these, but no clue which particular ones. He sticks with the same distorted/clean sound throughout the night so I know he's not switching amps dependent on the album.

If I walked in that room I'd assume my best Phil Anselmo voice and request five minutes alone.

Michael Wilton posted this up when he was working on one of the newer Ryche albums-

View attachment 5330

He's all Kemper these days but and generally has a halfstack behind him I think he slaves out of the Kemper, using profiles of these, but no clue which particular ones. He sticks with the same distorted/clean sound throughout the night so I know he's not switching amps dependent on the album.

If I walked in that room I'd assume my best Phil Anselmo voice and request five minutes alone.
That was one thing on the Priest tour. Their guitar sound was absolutely miniscule compared to JP. Could be opening band-itis but I'm betting JP were using amps.

Back