I Am Listening To Every Queensryche Album In Chronological Order

That was one thing on the Priest tour. Their guitar sound was absolutely miniscule compared to JP. Could be opening band-itis but I'm betting JP were using amps.

Yeah, last rig stuff I saw from JP Ritchie was using Engl's and Andy Sneap was using a Kemper into a Marshall 9100 power amp.

And actually, watching vids from the last couple tours it looks like Michael ditched the halfstack as they started bringing out more production stuff.

Hahahah I was watching the last time I saw them, then I hear my asshat voice screaming obnoxiously because this tune was one of my favorite things they've done with Todd. I had a few at the bar for a good two hours before that show. :LOL:

they made the kitchen sink and threw it in the song

Greatest quote ever

The one thing I'll complain about QR, influence wise back in the day is the proliferation of cocky lead singers who tried to be Tate and failed miserably. That whole vibe was rampant with all sorts of singers back in the day :oops:

That completely reminds me that there is an album by a Kenosha, WI band from the 80s called Screamer that is very obviously influenced by The Warning album, which is a bizarre thing to hear. I actually love this album, but my wife is right whenever I play it that the singer sounds like a chicken. If you can get past the unfortunate vocals as well as the highest number of artificial harmonics per capita of any album ever, the music's actually really awesome, I think:

So much yes.

I think Ryche's take on prog is entirely what allowed me to get into Dream Theater in my teens, but as time went on, I found myself digging less of the technically-focused prog and more on the abstract/unique elements that make something prog. I'll take Tool and Devin Townsend over 99% of Olympics-style playing.

I'd go as far as saying that RFO in the 80's is equal to what Dark Side was in the 70's in regards to production. I don't know of any other album that incorporated stuff like this around this time. "Screaming In Digital" itself is just nuts. If I remember right, that's a typewriter sample that's been pitched down in the verses. Then the pitched down vocals, backwards reverbs, panning flying all over....they made the kitchen sink and threw it in the song. That chorus, though!!! I NEVER get tired of hearing it. This is absolutely where I first heard a counter melody in a chorus....hahaha the more I think about this the more I realize how much sh*t I've ripped off from this band. :rofl"

While I think other albums have better collections of songs, the songs on RFO I dig the most are among my favorite Ryche tunes, "Walk In The Shadows", "I Only Dream In Infrared", "Neue Regel", "I Will Remember".....man, I love those songs so much.

Imagine catching this show back then, in this particular venue-

There is no better Geoff Tate than Pompadour Geoff Tate. :LOL:

One of my biggest regrets in life is not seeing QR during that time.
Had chances, but honestly can't recall what my excuse for not going
was. Probably just average stupidity. :facepalm

Yeah, last rig stuff I saw from JP Ritchie was using Engl's and Andy Sneap was using a Kemper into a Marshall 9100 power amp.

And actually, watching vids from the last couple tours it looks like Michael ditched the halfstack as they started bringing out more production stuff.

Hahahah I was watching the last time I saw them, then I hear my asshat voice screaming obnoxiously because this tune was one of my favorite things they've done with Todd. I had a few at the bar for a good two hours before that show. :LOL:

Haha! All the live videos I have captured on a phone have me being a total fanboi screaming non-stop.

My go to is, "Fuck yeah!" as loud as I can get. Repeatedly! :LOL:

I think I came in for Mindcrime, picked up on Rage for Order pretty easily from there. made it to The Warning from there- me having to adapt a little bit to them each time. I enjoyed Empire. Promised Land might be my favorite in some ways. I think Hear in the Now Frontier was the last one for me and I'd pretty much lost hold of the flame by that point.

I remember seeing Metallica in the early 00's and I didn't listen to them again for about 2 years. I'd just had enough to last.

I saw Queensryche in the early 00's (Empire tour) and despite having listened to them for a three hour drive to the show and watching the headlining show itself, we listened all the way back home too. Great show and I was ready for more QR.

I hate that they weren't able to keep it together but forever is a long time.

Operation Mindcrime day. No comments really needed, are there?

I still might spew some nonsense about this Album as I listen, like how when I die the last
thing I hear just might be, "Dr. Blair.... Dr. Blair..... Dr. Jay Hamilton. "
No comments needed. Just let it all soak in.

Operation Mindcrime day. No comments really needed, are there?

I still might spew some nonsense about this Album as I listen, like how when I die the last
thing I hear just might be, "Dr. Blair.... Dr. Blair..... Dr. Jay Hamilton. "

That might be the most commonly used audio in hospital shows/movies. Every time I hear it I get all giddy like a kid.

I never thought this before, but the open string, arpeggio melodies that QR put in a lot of their songs..., I wouldn't be at all surprised if they (along with Rush) influenced Petrucci to write songs the same way. Cuz now that I think about it, I hear many more similarities between those types of riffs in QR & DT than I ever noticed before.

I never thought this before, but the open string, arpeggio melodies that QR put in a lot of their songs..., I wouldn't be at all surprised if they (along with Rush) influenced Petrucci to write songs the same way. Cuz now that I think about it, I hear many more similarities between those types of riffs in QR & DT than I ever noticed before.
To Wit:

Of course DT then takes it into the realm of 9/8 & 4/4 time signatures...

Eddie Jackson's Bass Tones are just :chef

So well-produced and mixed that you can hear EVERYTHING. I bet so
much of it is because the source of those tones was so spot-on. They
all just knew their gear so well that not a ton of massaging was ever
needed.

The next Marshall tone I want to rip off in Fractal land (then get in the ballpark and quit entirely) is the Operation Mindcrime/Empire tone. They used to refer to it as “the aunch” I think it’s at the end of “Hand On Heart” maybe where there’s one guitar as the song is fading out just going “…..aunch aunch……..aunch aunch (bass goes dibbidabbadoobiedo)….aunch aunch…” and it makes total sense.

Back