Hotone Ampero II Stage MP-380

That's good to hear for users. Thanks to you and @GTR37 for posting the additional info. They should disable the internal cab for now, until they get it sorted. LOL.
If you stand just 9ft from a regular amp playing through a cab, you are experiencing 8ms of latency. Nobody ever complains about latency in those situations. So 8ms by itself isn't too bad.

I think the danger is when those variables start to stack. If you have 8ms latency from your modeler, and you are standing 18ft away from the speaker, and you have a digital reverb that is adding an additional 7ms latency... Well now you're at 23ms.

Noticable for sure, but I'd bet most of us could get through a gig just fine on that.

My point is, whether latency is an issue for you depends on many other variables besides the device's latency measurement.

I think if they could get it down to 6ms, most would have no issue with it. Hopefully they can optimize it via firmware or something.

If you stand just 9ft from a regular amp playing through a cab, you are experiencing 8ms of latency. Nobody ever complains about latency in those situations. So 8ms by itself isn't too bad.

I think the danger is when those variables start to stack. If you have 8ms latency from your modeler, and you are standing 18ft away from the speaker, and you have a digital reverb that is adding an additional 7ms latency... Well now you're at 23ms.
Yes, if you see my first post rather than the second, I mention that this is unacceptable not because that value is by itself unbearable; but because guitar chains have enough digital stuff in them these days that 8ms for one piece of your chain is dangerously close to the 'you will notice it' and cross the threshold to be an issue for most users.

People buying a digital processor like this probably expect it to be like comparable products in the sub-4ms range. Where you can add a few more things or use it with other devices that have a finite latency and not give it too much thought.

The 4ms or so range is what I would consider the minimal acceptable range for whatever I personally would be willing to buy...

So anyway, yeah, that is the point. 8ms is so high it puts a lot of latency pressure on your chain.

That's a very different thing.
- When playing through an amp, there's audible clues "explaining" the latency, kinda like making it more plausible, namely reflections. Which is as well why it's super weird to play an amp in an anechoic chamber (which I have done a handful of times for whatever experimental pusposes during the studio classes when studying) in case it's large enough (the one at the university was the former control room, serving as a temporary anechoic chamber, so it was quite large).
- Latency adds up. So you'd have to add another 8ms on top of those you're already dealing with. And as said in another thread already, the range within which things tend to switch from "still fine" to "ugh", while varying from person to person, seems to be pretty small. So in case you're fine with 8ms, 11ms might really irritate you already.

I'm not saying any of that would necessarily be an issue for whomever, but having been a victim of latency related issued more than once (and it should be noted that I'm in no way Mr. "In The Pocket" or so), I can only stress how important it is to keep it as low as possible, even if it's just in advance. No need to get all anal about - but just be aware.

Yes, if you see my first post rather than the second, I mention that this is unacceptable not because that value is by itself unbearable; but because guitar chains have enough digital stuff in them these days that 8ms for one piece of your chain is dangerously close to the 'you will notice it' and cross the threshold to be an issue for most users.

People buying a digital processor like this probably expect it to be like comparable products in the sub-4ms range. Where you can add a few more things or use it with other devices that have a finite latency and not give it too much thought.

The 4ms or so range is what I would consider the minimal acceptable range for whatever I personally would be willing to buy...

So anyway, yeah, that is the point. 8ms is so high it puts a lot of latency pressure on your chain.
The other concern I would have after watch Brett Kingman vid is the cpu
He added a Princeton with onboard cab( to which he said the latency was negligible, which was odd)
But a Princeton cab gate
2 drives , trem delay , verb
And finally a phaser but things were already greyed out so out of 16 blocks you can run out at 8 or 9

Leon Todd similar one high quality reverb and one of the new HQ amp models couple of delays a drive wah and things are greying out
He was also using an IR and not using the cab block cpu hit

The other concern I would have after watch Brett Kingman vid is the cpu
He added a Princeton with onboard cab( to which he said the latency was negligible, which was odd)
But a Princeton cab gate
And finally a phaser but things were already greyed out so out of 16 blocks you can run out at 8 or 9

Leon Todd similar one high quality reverb and one of the new HQ amp models couple of delays a drive wah and things are greying out
He was also using an IR and not using the cab block cpu hit
At $399, I am not going to be concerned. At $699? No thank you.

onboard cab( to which he said the latency was negligible
Because unless you're stacking other digital devices, it is.

But a Princeton cab gate

Not really true. First, it's 12 blocks, not 16.
He filled all but one block, and only then some things started to gray out.
For a preset with an amp, cab sim, chorus, phaser, two drives, delay and a reverb, it doesn't seems out of the ordinary at all.

Edit: and a compressor and a noise gate.

Because unless you're stacking other digital devices, it is.

Not really true. First, it's 12 blocks, not 16.
He filled all but one block, and only then some things started to gray out.
For a preset with an amp, cab sim, chorus, phaser, two drives, delay and a reverb, it doesn't seems out of the ordinary at all.

Edit: and a compressor and a noise gate.
What about the Leon one though he was running 1HQ amp 1 HQ verb a delay and a chorus , ir block I believe
I mean it’s not bad and sounds really good but I think it’s more in the HX stomp than like a QC or FM3

What about the Leon one though he was running 1HQ amp 1 HQ verb a delay and a chorus , ir block I believe
Every unit has its heavy hitters. Add some poly effects to Helix, see what happens.

I mean it’s not bad and sounds really good but I think it’s more in the HX stomp than like a QC or FM3
Dude, did you check the prices? You're comparing it to units that cost double? What are we talking about here?

Back