Helix 3.8 when?

Boss Blues Driver BD-2.

I don’t believe any modeler on the market has a proper BD-2 model.

It would be cool to have in Helix world, but depending on how you use one there are BD flavors with the tube driver, secret od, and maybe even the stupor od.
Unfortunately I don't have a BD-2 to compare but: the BD-2 with its somehow unique circuit for sure has a rather asymmetrical clipping, that means with even and odd harmonics (similarly to guitar amps).
Many ODs in the Helix (and maybe among the real pedals too) have symmetrical clipping, that means just odd harmonics.
After analysing some Helix ODs, I see that there are interesting results. Ok, probably I just found out something obvious, but it was fascinating for me!

Among the few asymmetrical clipping ODs (that is with both even and odd harmonics) there are also:
- Timmy with UP option, but only with low gain (about less than 3.0)
- Kinky boost
Imho they both could be nice alternatives to the BD-2 circuit, and even stacking them (Kinky into Timmy) in some cases.
I love that in the Helix world I can also add a "simple eq" block in front of the Kinky boost to adjust what I don't like about it (cutting a little the lows and the level).

Last edited:
Thought of a request for 3.8. I'm running out of blocks (but not dsp) on my stomp XL. If we could configure the output block to do stuff like output to the send jack as well. Then the volume knob won't affect the send signal, which I can send to FOH, and the main out I can send to my wedge monitor and I can control it's level. Without needing extra blocks.

Thought of a request for 3.8. I'm running out of blocks (but not dsp) on my stomp XL. If we could configure the output block to do stuff like output to the send jack as well. Then the volume knob won't affect the send signal, which I can send to FOH, and the main out I can send to my wedge monitor and I can control it's level. Without needing extra blocks.
8ex8cs.jpg

Thought of a request for 3.8. I'm running out of blocks (but not dsp) on my stomp XL.

Same here. But I want more actual blocks, mainly consuming close to no DSP, sort of utility things, such as sends/returns and EQs.
A constant dual row display should be sort of doable, too.

A few wishes for a future Helix updates (already posted in IdeaScale):

Boss BF3 Flanger
It's not only an unique flanger sound (at least from other models I've seen or owned) but also has the "ultra" mode that is really cool.

The most known use I know is in Smashing Pumpkins' "Love" song:

Boss PH3 Phase Shifter:
Another unique take on an effect from Boss. Apart from the 4, 8, 10 and 12 stages, it has three other cool and unique modes: fall, rise and step. So much fun:

Whatever effect King Crimson used on their synth-guitars from the 80's era. Example: "The sheltering sky" (from the album "Discipline"), at 0:40:

A few wishes for a future Helix updates (already posted in IdeaScale):

Whatever effect King Crimson used on their synth-guitars from the 80's era. Example: "The sheltering sky" (from the album "Discipline"), at 0:40:

You can already get this sound in Helix. Check on CustomTone. Look for King Crimson and Pat Metheney. Those presets will get you close.

Another thing popped in my head: it would be nice having a way to instantly bringing up the tuner instead of having to hold the tap/tuner footswitch for a second or two. It would also be really convenient for being able to fully mute you on a single click.

On the other hand, while that's not feasible, can you mute your output by bypassing the output block? (Note: I'm gonna be away from my LT for a week and a half and I'm so curious xD)

Another thing popped in my head: it would be nice having a way to instantly bringing up the tuner instead of having to hold the tap/tuner footswitch for a second or two.
Yup, some of us have been suggesting this for the past five updates.

Back