Helix 3.8 when?

+1 to this. If Line 6 wanted to capture Chili Peppers fans (don’t laugh y’all, a lot of younger players love John Frusciante), the DS-2 and also the Ibanez WH-10 wah are the two critical items.

I know they have a CE-1 model, but a feature accurate one, or just the preamp would draw some users.

When I bought the Axe-Fx III in 2020 I held on to my Helix for well over a year because there was a few major updates coming and I wanted to do a solid comparison.
Each and every time I compared what hit me most is how "flat" the Helix felt, almost all amp models had a sameness that really don't do it for me. The oversampling update came along and it didn't really make much of a difference to me, and I eventually sold it.
Several of the new models in 3.7 feels way better, the 2203 and Voltage are the ones I've tried the most. Feels like something have changed in how they do things.
So I have a small request, redo ALL the old models... :grin :LOL:

Absolutely seconded. Among the "old model line up" there's been very little amps standing out of that sameness. That's why I went for some at least sort of "generic" amps (typically a Princess for clean-ish stuff and the 2204 Mod for dirt) that'd work well with the stomp models - and IMO, regarding those the situation was much better even with the older FW revisions.

The new amps (since 3.6 already) really seem to be quite a step forward.

I would however not exactly bet on any of that, because something that also has changed at least a bit is the model defaults - wich seem to showcase the strengths of the new amps much better than they did with the older models. As a result, you had to find out yourself, sometimes tweaking all kinds of parameters, not just the tonestack and gain related things but also cabs and mics. And we all know how quickly these kinda tweaks are causing listening fatique. What I'm saying is that sometimes, when I've got time to waste, I still find some hidden goodness in some of the old amp models.

An MI Audio Super Crunch Box.
A JHS Morning Glory.
A Boss Blues Driver BD-2.

And in the Amp land, a JVM410HJS, for the Marshall+Joe Satriani fans.

An MI Audio Super Crunch Box.
A JHS Morning Glory.
A Boss Blues Driver BD-2.
I'd also like a Guv'nor pedal. The CrunchBox is like a perfected Guv'nor, and Suhr Riot is maybe the ultimate perfection of that circuit.

JHS Morning Glory: isn't it just a Marshall BluesBreaker OD? Then we already have it with the Heir Apparent.

BD-2... I don't miss it! 😅

I would add my request for the BB Preamp, even if to be honest I know maybe we already have it.. (Tubescreamer with tone adjusted rather low, and then followed by an EQ block or maybe even the legacy "Screamer" is already very close to BB Preamp: I don't have it any longer to compare!)

when are we getting block presets for helix then?

would be killer for the reverbs and delays especially, there’s enough “deep” FX within Helix that it would be worthwhile. Even chains of blocks would be cool to save as their own “presets”. The current method involves saving individual presets and copy and pasting blocks but this is kind of shit
there's the "favorites" feature if that may help?

I suspect he means global blocks - i.e. you could set up a favourite as a "global" and then, whenever you make a change to a "global favourite", it updates in all presets that contain that block.
hmm, no, favourites would approximate it closer but it still means everything is jumbled up.

imagine Helix is the DAW, and each individual effect is a plugin. now think how plugins have their own presets. Kind of pointless with a tubescreamer, but the reverbs and more experimental delays have a lot of parameters. It would be cool to audition/recall presets for specific sounds within each one

Favourites is kind of annoying that it doesn't sub-categorize things. So you scroll through a bunch of reverb presets and HOLY SHIT THAT AMPLIFIER BLOCK JUST TOOK MY FACE OFF and now we're browsing delay presets and my face doesn't exist.

etc etc etc
I didn't look deeper into it, but scrolling through favorites on my HX FX the other day, most of them weren't "on". Not sure if they're saved as "off", or if I did switch off the specific block before cycling through.

there's the "favorites" feature if that may help?
I heard you are the person responsible for the new 2203 model. All I have to say to that is:

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Thank you! While I did measure/model the 2203 (which happens to be my personal unit), I'm just a part of the very talented and passionate team that make all of the things happen
Are you able to share any photos/information of the particular amplifier you modelled? Was there anything unexpected or surprising about the model that made you learn something new about the amp?

JHS Morning Glory: isn't it just a Marshall BluesBreaker OD? Then we already have it with the Heir Apparent.
I have tried both, and they sound vastly different. The Morning Glory with bright cut OFF, gives this nice JCM800 clean with a Kerrang, glassy brightness that I can't get with any other OD.

I would add my request for the BB Preamp, even if to be honest I know maybe we already have it.. (Tubescreamer with tone adjusted rather low, and then followed by an EQ block or maybe even the legacy "Screamer" is already very close to BB Preamp: I don't have it any longer to compare!)

Was just going to suggest the legacy screamer on the HX with the added bass control.. so good. One of the reasons I sold my BB preamp.

Back