Helix 3.8 when?

I don't quite know how to describe it... but essentially I'd like a Digital Delay model that can get 16-20 echoes when set to 50%. I don't really like the digital delays in the Helix very much.

Try this and let me know if it isn’t what you’re looking for. I like to experiment with new delay sounds, so I was trying to see if I can get the thing you have described before.

Use crisscross - crossfeed at 0, bit depth at 24 bits, sample rate at 48khz. I get around 20 repeats that way and I think it sits in the mix the way you describe wanting it to. I have my headroom maxed, didn’t check if that matters or not.

To my ears that’s the kind of thing I think you’re describing and it has a vibe to it which some digital delays set like this don’t have. I don’t think there’s any other delay model in helix that does it quite like this one, not sure what’s different about it. It has a beautiful modulation too if you like modulated delays (.2 rate, triangle, 90* phase is my favorite).

D

Try this and let me know if it isn’t what you’re looking for. I like to experiment with new delay sounds, so I was trying to see if I can get the thing you have described before.

Use crisscross - crossfeed at 0, bit depth at 24 bits, sample rate at 48khz. I get around 20 repeats that way and I think it sits in the mix the way you describe wanting it to. I have my headroom maxed, didn’t check if that matters or not.

To my ears that’s the kind of thing I think you’re describing and it has a vibe to it which some digital delays set like this don’t have. I don’t think there’s any other delay model in helix that does it quite like this one, not sure what’s different about it. It has a beautiful modulation too if you like modulated delays (.2 rate, triangle, 90* phase is my favorite).

D
I will have a bash. And then I will try this!

The thing I'd really love to see addressed in 3.8 is the ext amp independence from snapshots when the ext amp command is assigned to a footswitch.

In other words I'd like to see a Disable Snapshot Control parameter in command center.

At the moment is not possibile to use a foot switch for physical amp channel control and snapshots because when you change snapshot the helix will trigger the ext amp inverting the footswitch state (and any other assignment eventually made to that switch).

I did think of one thing that would be VERY nice to have, user assignable amp impedance curves. It would be particularly helpful when running Helix amp models into a flat class D power amp and traditional guitar cab.

As we know, this is apparently tightly coupled with the amp modeling so as far as I can tell it’s probably not an option, but it would be nice to have.

I did think of one thing that would be VERY nice to have, user assignable amp impedance curves. It would be particularly helpful when running Helix amp models into a flat class D power amp and traditional guitar cab.

As we know, this is apparently tightly coupled with the amp modeling so as far as I can tell it’s probably not an option, but it would be nice to have.
This would be huge for me. Such a bonus of a tightly integrated system where they could swap the impedance behaviours internally with whichever cabs is used. Fractal has only recently managed to get this tied together, STL Amphub has something like this too.

If would be great to have it user assignable too, both for using with external poweramps+cabs, as well as 3rd party IR’s. I’d even quite like an EQ block that can adjust the general shape of the impedance curve interactions if it’s implemented nicely

When I bought the Axe-Fx III in 2020 I held on to my Helix for well over a year because there was a few major updates coming and I wanted to do a solid comparison.
Each and every time I compared what hit me most is how "flat" the Helix felt, almost all amp models had a sameness that really don't do it for me. The oversampling update came along and it didn't really make much of a difference to me, and I eventually sold it.
Several of the new models in 3.7 feels way better, the 2203 and Voltage are the ones I've tried the most. Feels like something have changed in how they do things.
So I have a small request, redo ALL the old models... :grin :LOL:

I'd love to see a decent tonebender/zonk machine and a germanium fuzz face in one of the next updates.
I agree on a tone bender, but we already have the germanium fuzz face (arbitrator).

Until we get a new tone bender, some good tones can be had with the legacy Jumbo model especially if you change the impedance to something lower.

D

Word. When this was your first modeler, all the current crop is otherworldly:
View attachment 13867

Hold my beer…

1700767582700.jpeg

I agree on a tone bender, but we already have the germanium fuzz face (arbitrator).

Until we get a new tone bender, some good tones can be had with the legacy Jumbo model especially if you change the impedance to something lower.

D

The arbitrator is a silicon fuzz face isn't it? Doesn't really matter though as it's not very good.

The legacy tonebender is doable if your volume is up full but not when you start rolling it back.

The arbitrator is a silicon fuzz face isn't it? Doesn't really matter though as it's not very good.

The legacy tonebender is doable if your volume is up full but not when you start rolling it back.

Sounds and feels like a germanium one to me. I think it’s a good one, not sure what you’re looking for. Sounds and works like a fuzzface.

D

Sigh if this has to be the thread.

Global blocks or some way to auto-update favorites in patches everytime I re-save a favorite block
Some sort of footswitch layout equivalent
With the 3.15 per snapshot command center stuff I can map all 4 snapshots in my stomp XL to like 1 or 2 switches. I would love 6 snapshots in my stomp XL.
Magnatone amps
Marshall Guvnor
More Original amps
If we are on the idea of originals, how bout an idealized take on some fuzz? With spitty controls, etc
Poly synth stuff like a mellotron

Sounds and feels like a germanium one to me. I think it’s a good one, not sure what you’re looking for. Sounds and works like a fuzzface.

D

The Helix drives stack up really well against any of my drive pedals except the fuzz face. I agree that it does sound like a fuzz face but not a very good one IMO.

D
True about the Legacy Jumbo, I love it!

when are we getting block presets for helix then?

would be killer for the reverbs and delays especially, there’s enough “deep” FX within Helix that it would be worthwhile. Even chains of blocks would be cool to save as their own “presets”. The current method involves saving individual presets and copy and pasting blocks but this is kind of shit

Back