Helix 3.8 when?

At the time reaper took off? Audacity, ardour( reaper never would have been made if ardour could meet the wish list of the Crossfade community, it was very strongly followed and alpha’d by who would make up the early reaper community), Traktion, I think bitwig is as free at the time or today, Sonar.

audacity? Lol
Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Not very familiar with the others

But reaper being popular because its free and also a good daw are not mutually exclusive, you are the only one acting like that is the case

Do you have any proof that reaper is popular NOT because its free?

I have no proof beyond my anecdotal experience, I don’t think anyone has any actual evidence of this stuff.
Except someone like me who had access to the sales records early on of course.

The fact that it NEEDS to be heavily customised for anyone serious about using it says it all.
Of course that’s not true.
However, the corollary, the other daws cannot be customised for added functionality even if you wanted to.

Except someone like me who had access to the sales records early on of course.
so you have a record of paying customers, but what % of the user base are those? aren’t we discussing the number of users that haven’t bought a licence here? and of the ones that did, you’re saying they would have bought it if it costed more, or was a sub, or some other kind of pricing structure?
However, the corollary, the other daws cannot be customised for added functionality even if you wanted to.
Reaper is the only DAW I’ve used where I immediately had to make drastic changes, and even then it’s a cluttered mess of menu options, lists and odd positioning of features. Cool for people who vibe with it, but not for me at all. And has never improved, every now and then I dip in and it’s always enough to send me packing.

Yes. The people who bought it. Especially when you are talking about the largest video game companies and biggest broadcast companies in the world.
these are a minority of users in the grand scheme of things though. the same is true of any DAW.

EDIT: when I said 95% of reaper users haven’t bought a licence, I suspect I was being way too generous. I’d be surprised if 1% of active reaper users have bought a licence that’s valid still. Maybe @pipelineaudio has better information on how many users open the software vs how many have a proper licence but i’m not sure all of that is logged accurately unless a sale is involved.

Last edited:
So again, why isn't Audacity the free DAW you guys are discussing, it meets all the claims and is as shitty at routing as cubendo and studio one?

Because audacity sucks ass

Again reaper being popular because its free and also a good daw are not mutually exclusive, it is both

(I have a mac and logic so I don’t bother with it. It looked like a cluster fuck when I tried it, I tried it because it was free. But I know it’s a powerful tool that a lot of people use)

Last edited:
So again, why isn't Audacity the free DAW you guys are discussing, it meets all the claims and is as shitty at routing as cubendo and studio one?
IMG_8340.jpeg

no idea tbh, this looks pretty damn eye catching and there isn’t even a nag screen.

presumably you think if reaper cost the same as cubase, just as many people would use reaper still.

Reaper is by far the best option for windows users who don’t want to spend anything. Probably mac too, although Garageband and LUNA might suffice for a lot.

And yet, nearly nobody had ever heard of Traktion until very recently, even though it was created before reaper. You are putting the evidence in my pile for me

Back