Helix 3.8 when?

Aren't favorites missing some pretty important stuff like snapshot states and controller assignments?

Sure. They're just the plain parameter settings.
Dunno whether I wanted this to be different, if controller assignments were included (I think it'd be a rather Sysiphos thing for snapshot states as they're not offering any kind of readout/matrix, so that'd be completely hit and miss), it'd not only be full of issues (for starters: what if the controller was in use in the active patch already?) but IMO it'd also need some indexing, informing you that some controller assignment would come along with your favourites patch.
I guess in the end it's better as is (at least regarding this very issue).

I wish more companies would do "at your own risk" type stuff like REAPER. It could have a switch "include snapshot states and controller assignments?" Its on you if it doesn't do what you want at that point

I wish more companies would do "at your own risk" type stuff like REAPER. It could have a switch "include snapshot states and controller assignments?" Its on you if it doesn't do what you want at that point
Not very wise. That can lead to overwhelming support requests.

Having uncontrolled stuff on your software is philosophycally nice, but it can cost a lot of money. There's a reason why Apple doesn't let users do so many things.

And yet this DAW is always among the top after having spent absolutely zero pennies on advertising. I think the world will still spin if someone adds controller assignments to existing ones when they explicitly ask to do so

And yet this DAW is always among the top after having spent absolutely zero pennies on advertising. I think the world will still spin if someone adds controller assignments to existing ones when they explicitly ask to do so
The fact that it's free has something to do with its success xD and they can afford it because its founder sold Winamp for a nice amount.

Some people buy it, but many don't (I worked at a company as a sound technician for a while; they moved from cubase to reaper because it was free, and never considered paying, and there was way more than enough money for it). Also, community collaborate in plugins development.

Line6 is not playing that game, therefore works smart on this kind of stuff.

And tbh, I find reaper miles away (behind) Studio One in UX. I payed for studio one artist license very gladly. UX is amazing, coming from pro tools, cubase and reaper.

Last edited:
That’s not how it happened with reaper at all. Andnitnisnhardly the only product which lets you do some pretty wide ranging stuff.

That’s not how it happened with reaper at all. Andnitnisnhardly the only product which lets you do some pretty wide ranging stuff.
How did it happen then? I admit I haven't researched much, but that's what I read about their business model.

How did it happen then? I admit I haven't researched much, but that's what I read about their business model.
You got the winamp part right, but that money wasn't really needed, except to give two of the three of us the money needed to live while starting this thing

People didn't use it "because its free". Its not free. I was super skeptical when Justin was pushing the honorware model, but it actually worked!

People used reaper because it was (and still is compared to most DAWs like Studio One or Cubendo, and for the most part pro Tools) the only DAW where you could truly route it like a patchbay and hardware. All of the familiar meatspace sidechaining techniques were now available in the DAW world where previously it could only be done in the most limited of fashions.

Almost immediately it was adopted by the BBC and many theatre staging companies, and not even months after that, the biggest video game companies around at the time and used as the engine for the rock band type games, which is why you see all those multitrack moggs floating around

But really to the point, Justin allowed people some serious ability to rewire the innards of REAPER thru self created langhuages like Jesusonic and exposing the API, as well as lots of documentation to make sure people were able to really gut it.

I don't think letting people chose to OPTIONALLY and explicitly copy and paste snapshot information or MIDI assignments is going to kill anyone comparatively

People didn't use it "because its free". Its not free. I was super skeptical when Justin was pushing the honorware model, but it actually worked!
Not sure if it has changed since January 2023 that I left that company that wouldn't pay the license, but it was free to use forever, and politely asked you to pay. That's "free" in my book😅

There are two things that I find very annoying about Reaper:
1. Its GUI
2. Reaper people hijacking threads and turning them into Reaper discussions.
This just shows that we need a Helix update to talk about important things xD

Okay, not all vegans are obnoxious with their lifestyle. Apologies!

It's a stereotype, I must admit.
Look on the bright side, if it was made by UA it’d be a monotype. And no MIDI.

Party Mood GIF by Maraboli Media

Back