Helix 3.8 when?

Huh? They bring out other updates besides amp models quite frequently. "They" being Line 6.

Well, the majority of things are drives, FX, cabs and amps. That's all pretty much one category (for me at least), while IMO there's some shortcomings re: all things usability, let alone "modern" features. Some of them quite longstanding.

Huh? They bring out other updates besides amp models quite frequently. "They" being Line 6.

Yeah, the last three updates (not including the minor bug fix update, 3.71) have added like 14 or 15 FX, the dual IR block, the new cabs (!), and the cab / IR code overhaul that reduced their DSP usage by at least 2/3, along with a bunch of bug fixes, QoL things, and little things like cab block auto delay.

Happily so. But it never happens.
You sure about that? The HX modeling engine has been updated a few times as has been discussed in this thread, plus new amps, cabs, effects & updates to the the HX Edit are being released at least once per year since I have had my Stomp XL.

What else are you expecting/wanting because your "all things usability, let alone "modern" features. Some of them quite longstanding" really doesnt tell us anything. How about some specifics?

See above. Better usability and truly modern features (such as a modulation system).
I would guess that 90% of their users really have no need/use for that since all it would do is use up a lot of DSP. Maybe second generation will address some of that for you.

Asking for such kind of features (which are really good ideas, honestly) really shows how long the Helix has come already.

Stuff like improved cabs, improved performance, and new FX probably appeals to more of their userbase, and so the focus is there, but I think it's possible we will get some sort of modulation (which might either explain the lack of Flux so far, or might be a consolation if Flux isn't able to be added to the rest of the Helix family for some reason), but almost definitely not in this next update which DI has said will be small. I don't know L6's plans, but I think it's very possible we will see a 4.0 as a final major update that will add some of these things as a bridge to whatever the Helix 2 is (just a guess).

I don't see flux coming to Helix devices, because I don't know how could they make it work without a dedicated extra button. Makes more sense for next gen Helix products.

Re: Flux, I did a quick forum search and DI said this in April of this year ~
Can't talk about what may or may not be coming to Helix, but no one should ever assume Flux is coming to other Helix/HX SKUs.

Probably shouldn't admit this, but there was a long lost firmware for POD HD that included three additional controllers—LFO, step sequencer, and envelope follower. Any of them could be assigned to any parameter(s). It was pretty slow to use; you had to remember yet another press-hold (or double-press?) shortcut to access the page. IIRC, it never made it to the public because POD HD didn't have enough firmware storage to accommodate both these new controllers and existing features, se we'd need to rip out other stuff to get them to fit. No one's seen this firmware since last decade (nor does it currently exist on any hardware AFAIK) and it might take Brandon a while to even track it down. (The whole thing reminds me of the old Roland VS-880 from the late 90s, where there were two variations of the same firmware rev—one for backing up to DAT tape and another for backing up to Iomega Zip/Jaz drives—as the hardware's firmware storage couldn't accommodate both.)

We wouldn't make that mistake again.

So Helix of course has plenty of room for Flux, and the UI/user-facing implementation of both it and dozens of other cool features that may or may not ever make it have been fully designed since, like... 2012, 2013? The big question is how much these things might impact development of the other stuff we're feverishly working on. Answer: Sadly, likely quite a bit.

So, Flux may not come to Helix, but Helix is capable of it.

Also, neither here nor there, but this from last May also came up ~
The big question is if and if so, how many others end up beating us to the punch.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about separate preamps/power amps. Never mind, I thought you were talking about some nebulous "many hours of fun" features, which yes, we're working on.

The only thing like this I can think of that was added since is the Feedbacker..? So maybe a cool, creative feature yet to come.

I'm still holding out for a BPM readout on the LT and other units without scribble strips. Even if it's a temporary one that pops up for a few seconds when you're tapping it in.

I would guess that 90% of their users really have no need/use for that since all it would do is use up a lot of DSP.

Nah, modulations eat up close to no DSP juice in synths. Fwiw, just so we're on the same page, I'm not talking modulation FX but things such as input levels, envelopes and LFOs controlling other parameters.

Last edited:
You mean like Favorites, that are actually on device, and allow for instant recall of a block setting?

Sure. But there's very little of these kinda improvements. Still can't relocate missing IRs (this is really so 1990-ish). Parameter order is still awkward (especially noticeable on the Stomp). Still no 10 snapshot mode (heck, it could even be 12). Still no second page for stomp assignments (which would be killer on kitchen sink presets to quickly select items). Still no performance layout for the encoders (would be absolutely fantastic IMO, even just with the Stomp's 3 pots). Still no IR options and no cab bypass in the amp&cab blocks. Switching from amp&cab to amp only will still reset all parameters. Still loss of controller assignments when moving a block between paths 1 and 2. And of course still no global blocks. And of course countless more.

I will happily admit that there's been some decent usability updates, for me most notably snapshot bypass (which was the thing that made me buy a Floor, I wouldn't have bought it otherwise - and yes, I'm serious) and recently (in 3.7) the option for parameters not being saved with snapshots in case you were controlling them via MIDI (these two were forced to go hand in hand before), which, quite unfortunately, came too late for my (already downgraded to a Stomp for which it's not relevant as I'm not using snapshots with it).
But these are rather little. Usually it's amps, drives, cabs and FX.
Oh, I forgot, the option to finally make the Input Pad patch based (in case you want) has been a pretty good one for me. Still...

Pretty much REAPER's parameter modulation! People do crazy guitar stuff with it in there, it would be some pretty trippendicular stuff live

Back