Fractal Talk

I'm a big fan of the Prosonic. I've got two of the combos, one a Custom Shop first run red one that looks like a road worn version of the amp pictured below.

Prosonic_05.jpg

I put two EVM 10Ls that I got from Paul Rivera in the black one and it sounds great at concert volume. Wide variety of gain tones from overdrive to modern high gain.

It has a few quirks so I sent it to Blackie Pagano to do the Zinky and Tech Notes upgrades to eliminate the reverb noise and channel switching pop. The EVs make it a heavy lift but it's a killer amp to gig with. I wish Fractal had an amp block model of it.

I was anxiously awaiting the Zinky and Rivera-era mentions. :banana

I still say they are outliers. :idk

Never got it either. I think most Class A amps cranked, sound like farts. Especially smaller ones.

It does have a niche appeal. Everything is entirely too small for the volume and demands being
asked of an amp like that. Preamp drive + power tube breakup + speaker near collapse.

I am sure a lot of people hated that back in the day, because in that time period they were chasing
clean headroom, and not clipping. Hence, the High Powered Tweed Twin in 1958, where Leo gave
his customers what they were clamouring for. :headbang

It does have a niche appeal. Everything is entirely too small for the volume and demands being
asked of an amp like that. Preamp drive + power tube breakup + speaker near collapse.

I am sure a lot of people hated that back in the day, because in that time period they were chasing
clean headroom, and not clipping. Hence, the High Powered Tweed Twin in 1958, where Leo gave
his customers what they were clamouring for. :headbang
It's funny to think what would have happened if we considered distortion awful to this day. We'd probably all be discussing compressors and which high headroom solid-state amp is the best.

Exactly! The problem back then became the solution later on. Kind of. :idk

Clipping/distortion in the signal was bad. Then music changed and we couldn't get
enough of that crack! :LOL:

Due to the nature of the music Leo chased clean headroom like a fiend, because that is
what his customers wanted. Maybe that culminated/climaxed with a Dual Showman. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We also forget bands were piping vocals and multiple instruments through their guitar
amps/cabs/combos. They needed headroom to be heard. Distortion was the enemy in
a way.

I was anxiously awaiting the Zinky and Rivera-era mentions. :banana

I still say they are outliers. :idk

Agree 100%.

The Prosonic and Rivera Fenders are the only ones who's gain I really liked.

I bought a blackface Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb and Super Reverb with the idea that I could push each one into distortion using whichever one was appropriate based on the size of the venue.

It was a horrible idea.

I ended up just gigging with the Super Reverb and pedals.

Wondering what st00p1d things I'm doing using a looper riff to adjust a preset!

I have a looper block right after the input, I record a riff, tweak the drive/amp/cab, disable the looper and play - and it sounds nothing like the tweaked looper riff.

Surely misunderstanding something!?

I have a looper block right after the input, I record a riff, tweak the drive/amp/cab, disable the looper and play - and it sounds nothing like the tweaked looper riff.

There's got to be a weird something going on. Can you post the preset? I've done the same thing for a while now, and the preset is always exactly what I was just hearing.

I thought that old school Fender dirt sounded like straight shit until the last year. I didn’t get it. Now I absolutely love it. I can totally blame Emerald City Guitars and that dude Aaron Hebert who mostly demos their Strats. I love all of it, too, Deluxe’s, Bassmnan’s, Vibroverb’s, etc. Just like I dig the differences between a Mark IV and a Dual Rec, it’s all relative.

‘54 Custom Color Strat into a ‘64 Deluxe

Vibroverb-

It’s almost as if the sound coming out of the amp changes depending on what he does with his hands.

I love that YouTube channel. It’s a treat for the eyes and ears.

Agree 100%.

The Prosonic and Rivera Fenders are the only ones who's gain I really liked.

I bought a blackface Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb and Super Reverb with the idea that I could push each one into distortion using whichever one was appropriate based on the size of the venue.

It was a horrible idea.

I ended up just gigging with the Super Reverb and pedals.

You're the only one. :LOL: We are in good company, though. :beer

A Super, or a Deluxe, and pedals is an iconic rig. :chef

Never got it either. I think most Class A amps cranked, sound like farts. Especially smaller ones.
That’s because of crossover distortion and ghost 👻 farts

If you change the power to DC the ghost farts disperse
Axe FX let’s you do this in fact the FAS Class A runs DC to avoid this

If you're playing without headphones at even moderate volumes the acoustic sound of your guitar is going to be audible along with the processed guitar tone. Seems like such a small thing but in my experience it changes what we perceive.

If you're playing without headphones at even moderate volumes the acoustic sound of your guitar is going to be audible along with the processed guitar tone. Seems like such a small thing but in my experience it changes what we perceive.
On Friday, I had hooked my system up to my PA for the first time in several months. it sounded like a$$ IMO, but I could not figure out why. Turns out it was because after several months of playing exclusively through headphones, I was not used to hearing the acoustics of the guitar (and it is a hollow body so pretty considerable acoustic volume). Took me almost a day to figure out this was the problem ;~)) Turned up the volume on PA and all better!!!

Sure sounds like you’re doing it correctly….

how do they differ?
I made pretty severe changes to the Drive Tone B/M/T, which seemed great until I played without the looper. It's definitely Drive block related.
There's got to be a weird something going on. Can you post the preset? I've done the same thing for a while now, and the preset is always exactly what I was just hearing.
I'm going to keep toying with it, but will if I can't figure it out.
Was moderate room level volume, no headphones. May explain it!

I made pretty severe changes to the Drive Tone B/M/T, which seemed great until I played without the looper. It's definitely Drive block related.

I'm going to keep toying with it, but will if I can't figure it out.

Was moderate room level volume, no headphones. May explain it!

Or even just post a screen shot of your grid. It just totally sounds like something is routed in some weird way.

Back