Fractal Talk

Or even just post a screen shot of your grid. It just totally sounds like something is routed in some weird way.
It's (to my knowledge, which ain't much) pretty basic, but here it is. Absolutely likely I'm doing something stupid, I don't discount that. Thanks for looking at it!
Capture.PNG

It's (to my knowledge, which ain't much) pretty basic, but here it is. Absolutely likely I'm doing something stupid, I don't discount that. Thanks for looking at it!
View attachment 12638
You might want to go to the layout grid on the onboard UI, then go the next page which shows the levels in each block. See if looper on/off changes that somewhere.

Also there's no need to run your delay/reverb like that. You can just run the reverb regularly, using mix to control how much reverb you have. Then delay in parallel with bypass set to Mute in + 100% mix + level to taste. No need for the extra empty block in the middle.

View attachment 12638
Looks pretty normal to me......There are high and low cut knobs on the looper page which could have gotten changed....maybe you should
go to the block menu at the top of the Axe Edit page and reset that channel for the looper just in case.

Also, did you try this with headphones to see if they do infact sound the same when using them like Leon suggested might be the cause?

You might want to go to the layout grid on the onboard UI, then go the next page which shows the levels in each block. See if looper on/off changes that somewhere.

Also there's no need to run your delay/reverb like that. You can just run the reverb regularly, using mix to control how much reverb you have. Then delay in parallel with bypass set to Mute in + 100% mix + level to taste. No need for the extra empty block in the middle.
Well an Empty block and shunt only takes what .1 % DSP I like to have on incase i want to add something

Well an Empty block and shunt only takes what .1 % DSP I like to have on incase i want to add something
Sure, but you then need to make sure your reverb is also running like delay in parallel. Just complicates matters more.

Sure, but you then need to make sure your reverb is also running like delay in parallel. Just complicates matters more.
Is there anything special required to do when running delay and reverbs In Parallels? besides bypass set to mute ?
and also In a simple chain is running in series more efficient ?

Is there anything special required to do when running delay and reverbs In Parallels? besides bypass set to mute ?
and also In a simple chain is running in series more efficient ?
  • "Mute in" so that you are not getting a volume increase from the parallel path when the effect is off.
  • Mix 100% so the parallel effect runs like "kill dry" - you only get the effected sound back, so again, no volume increase.
  • Level set to preference to adjust the amount of effect you want.
Series vs parallel shouldn't matter really, except for sound of course.

Looks pretty normal to me......There are high and low cut knobs on the looper page which could have gotten changed....maybe you should
go to the block menu at the top of the Axe Edit page and reset that channel for the looper just in case.

Also, did you try this with headphones to see if they do infact sound the same when using them like Leon suggested might be the cause?
The only thing I did on the Looper block was to reduce the output, as it was considerably louder playing back the loop and I try not to overly annoy the wife and step-daughter while I tweak. Perhaps that was a mistake?
Do I need to add shunts for empty blocks? I have the path lines connecting things. I just had the empty space for easy future expansion. Plus, I have the Reverb and Delay blocks bypassed as I didn't want them in that scene.

Do I need to add shunts for empty blocks? I have the path lines connecting things. I just had the empty space for easy future expansion. Plus, I have the Reverb and Delay blocks bypassed as I didn't want them in that scene.
I always put a shunt figue its like a patch cable :idk

Well I connected the paths, one by one, without a shunt - and I have signal. Just not necessarily the signal I want lol!

You'd think building a preset for Mastodon Leviathan wouldn't be that hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But never underestimate the stumbling blocks of a noob.

I made pretty severe changes to the Drive Tone B/M/T, which seemed great until I played without the looper. It's definitely Drive block related.

I'm going to keep toying with it, but will if I can't figure it out.

Was moderate room level volume, no headphones. May explain it!
If you are on a FM9 or axe fx it could also be the input impedance set to auto, when the looper is active it goes to 1M while when it is bypassed it switches to whatever value is the default for the selected drive model. But what @2112 said still makes the most sense to me.

If you are on a FM9 or axe fx it could also be the input impedance set to auto, when the looper is active it goes to 1M while when it is bypassed it switches to whatever value is the default for the selected drive model. But what @2112 said still makes the most sense to me.
On an FM9 and the input block is set to AUTO:1M, don't see how to tell what the drive's input is. Using a T808 OD.

I did reset the Looper block, does seem like a better match today.

Update: Actually pretty damn happy now, it's close enough! Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the assistance!

Last edited:
The only thing I did on the Looper block was to reduce the output, as it was considerably louder playing back the loop and I try not to overly annoy the wife and step-daughter while I tweak. Perhaps that was a mistake?

That's probably it, because that acts like a volume pedal decrease before your pedals and amp, like rolling back your volume knob on the guitar without losing any highs! My favorite place to control overall output is the amp block level or output block level, depending on my grid setup. I think if you just reset your looper block to 0dB output that'll fix it right there. Finger crossed!

That's probably it, because that acts like a volume pedal decrease before your pedals and amp, like rolling back your volume knob on the guitar without losing any highs! My favorite place to control overall output is the amp block level or output block level, depending on my grid setup. I think if you just reset your looper block to 0dB output that'll fix it right there. Finger crossed!
Yeah, it kind of did the same thing that stupid me did when I got my volume pedal - I set it to Input 1 without thinking it through!
I believe we have a winner, thank you! Guess I can tell the wife and step-daughter to sukk it, @State of Epicicity says I have to play loud! :rawk
When the drive is the first active block, it should show the actual impedance in the input block, e.g. "AUTO:220K" in place of "AUTO:1M".
Iirc it is 220K in fact for the T808
Ok, thank you, so the Looper was there and obfuscating things. Rude! :hmm

Back