Fractal Talk

Annnnd....

Laney FR212 in the house. Won't quite be a "fair" comparison since it's a 212 vs the Fender 1x12 but...whatever. And I'll be biased against the Laney because I totally just tweaked my back getting it into the house 😣

Have you seen the 412 in person by chance
Season 9 Chandler GIF by Friends

I got my first hernia when reaching over a stack of boxes to pick up a Super Reverb. One of the major attractions of the FR-12 for me was its weight.

Ehhh...I disagree strongly with that sentiment. The variety of amp, effect, and cab models; the incredibly flexible routing; the I/O options...there's basically nothing the fractals can't do. I mean, what gear tastes aren't addressed in there?

Agree there is a ton of stuff in there and there’s basically nothing it can’t do, but still Cliff tends to work hardest on the things he has the most interest in.

For example compare the number of bass amps to the number of Marshall models.

Or the number of 15w cathode bias el84 amps to the number of Mesa Mark models

Agree there is a ton of stuff in there and there’s basically nothing it can’t do, but still Cliff tends to work hardest on the things he has the most interest in.

For example compare the number of bass amps to the number of Marshall models.

Or the number of 15w cathode bias el84 amps to the number of Mesa Mark models
Okay I guess I can see where you're coming from but there are bass amps and Mark models. And not an insignificant number of them. I think everything is at least fairly well represented.

I take it there are a few specific things you'd like that aren't in there. That's what the wish sections are for on their forum. While many wishes don't get added, plenty of them do.

ETA: And while it's logical that he would work hardest on what he finds the most interesting, he clearly works damn hard on things the community asks for as well. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:
My gut tells me that if the Axe-FX is found wanting, modelling is just not for you.

I’ve been using Fractal gear extensively for 5 years now and I’ve owned every piece of gear they sell. The Axe-FX is an amazing piece of gear, but it’s not flawless. There’s still room for improvement, but that doesn’t mean it’s not awesome as it is

Why would he have gone out of business?

I see it as similar to someone like Mark Sampson. A small boutique builder who builds things that he likes most

Because making music hardware is expensive, and no company is successful if they only build what the founder wants to build. That isn't how you design a product, and it isn't how you manage a development process.

You simply cannot survive the economics by running a hybrid software+hardware music technology company the same way that an individual boutique amp builder runs theirs. They're not comparable at all.

A disclaimer that absolves the forum admins and owners of ALL responsibility for $$ interactions between members
is the easy way to address this.
That doesn't address anything. At best (and unlikely to achieve even this...a swimming pool in my back yard requires more than just a sign that says "hey, any drowning is on you!") it absolves them of being on the hook for financial hits taken by use of their forum.

Whose the bigger dick, the person that forces its customers to...use other platforms (of which there are plenty) to buy/sell its products on the used market.

Or the person that says "hey, we know a sizable number of you are going to get screwed buying/selling stuff on our platform. You keep being you. But we are not going to do anything to help minimize the damage to our customer base and will do nothing to help out customers that get screwed."

That doesn't address anything.

I completely disagree but hey, wouldn't be the first time we butt heads on something.

I can advise my forum members that they are on their own and to use their best judgement when making deals.

Or I can just shut it down and wash my hands of everything.

Two options.
Both valid.

You're trying to make it sound like they did a public service by pulling the plug. :facepalm

Last edited:
I completely disagree but hey, wouldn't be the first time we butt heads on something.

I can advise my forum members that they are on their own and to use their best judgement when making deals.

Or I can just shut it down and wash my hands of everything - relieving myself of all burden.

Two options.
Both valid.

You're trying to make it sound like they did a public service by shutting it down.
(1) simply advising your forum members likely is not enough to absolve them legally, nor would it be enough to let most folks sleep at night "meh, I told 'em there was an allergen in the water that would impact 5% of folks choosing to drink the faucet and they chose to drink from it anyway! Not my fault I didn't just turn off the supply!"

(2). There are (many) other alternatives that are able to provide protections for this kind of stuff because of their scale (either bigger or smaller). The Fractal forum was in no-man's land...not as small as this place where its small enough that if you don't know the person selling something it is immediately suspect, nor large enough to implement meaningful protections. Only a person with enough beef with Fractal that they continue to hang out in the Fractal thread to bitch about Fractal even when they have no intention of buying another Fractal product would see deciding to shut down the buy/sell stuff as anything other than a super reasonable approach to the problem rather than spending resources to provide meaningful protections to the forum users in light of all the other available options.

Why doesn’t FAS have a proper BD-2 model? People have been “wishing” for one well over a decade. Even the NUX modelers have one:

169619DB-3469-47A3-99BD-E54713CC3D24.jpeg

Back