Fractal Talk

Hey, if you're happy having to press an option 2 or 3 times because it doesn't register your finger, more power to you. But that was 100% my experience when I owned one for about 5 months. I sold it because it was frustrating to use and didn't sound anywhere near as good as the Axe FX.

So that makes it everyone’s experience?

So that makes it everyone’s experience?
I don't think he said it was everyone's experience tbf.

I totally get why people like the QC UI. To me it's akin to what we use most of the day every day, our phones. But to me, UI is below tone, effects, routing, power, reliability, support, price on my hierarchy. I'm to the point, and it truly didn't take that long, where it's just as fast for me to make a patch on a fractal unit vs the QC.

The QC has improved with file management but sometimes it's easy to get lost trying to find a specific amp model or capture when I can't remember what header it's under, you only can see about 8 devices at a time (on fractal you can view quite a bit in one instance), sometimes the wifi is dodgy so I can't even access my captures I want to try out, spend 5 min turning the QC on and off to hopefully get it to connect

Overarching theme: there isn't a one-size fits all; no matter how much we try to argue that there is.
love & hip hop philosophy GIF by VH1

Also, we all have different ideas of what a good UI is like albeit in our small discussion here. I'd only want Cliff to revamp it if he truly felt it was necessary.

Also, we all have different ideas of what a good UI is like albeit in our small discussion here. I'd only want Cliff to revamp it if he truly felt it was necessary.
I think Cliff is an engineer at heart, and he wants stuff to be visible, accessible as much as possible, with as few bullshit frills and skeuo-considerations as possible. I could be wrong, but my experience of dev's is that they largely roll their eyes at eye-candy and stuff they perceive to be a waste of time. For them it is all about the algorithms, the technology, and the possibilities on the table.

I think Cliff is an engineer at heart, and he wants stuff to be visible, accessible as much as possible, with as few bullshit frills and skeuo-considerations as possible. I could be wrong, but my experience of dev's is that they largely roll their eyes at eye-candy and stuff they perceive to be a waste of time. For them it is all about the algorithms, the technology, and the possibilities on the table.
It's probably also where a good bit of the "this looks and works like a piece of lab equipment" approach comes from.

That's why I say they really need some UI/UX guy who is as passionate about making it operate great as Cliff is at making it sound great.

Back