Fractal Talk

Yup. FM9 in the backpack, HX Stomp in the purse!
quentin tarantino GIF by Sundance Now

An option for people to choose, to emulate the functionality of Helix's capacitive footswitches pulling up the effect you touch, so you can edit quickly. Either double-tap or long press. In pedalboard/effects mode, double-tap to instantly bring up that effect's editing window tabs.

Obviously it should be an option, because many people use those functions for something else.
Ahhh yeah, that'd be great.

With the QC I just can't get too excited about it. It has glaring flaws that people are ignoring purely because of "ooooo shiny!" - the touchscreen is whack. Several shades of shittier than my Waldorf Iridium or the MPC grooveboxes.

Again, this has not been my recent experience with the QC touchscreen. I find it fast and overall a much better UI than any modeler I've owned (FAS, L6, Kemper). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And I often defend FAS UI, as I think it gets overblown and I learned to be very quick on it, too.)

Again, this has not been my recent experience with the QC touchscreen. I find it fast and overall a much better UI than any modeler I've owned (FAS, L6, Kemper). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(And I often defend FAS UI, as I think it gets overblown and I learned to be very quick on it, too.)

Say what you will about Neural as a company or the QC as a whole, but the UI is awesome, and sets the bar for on-device editing moving forward. IMO

Say what you will about Neural as a company or the QC as a whole, but the UI is awesome, and sets the bar for on-device editing moving forward. IMO

I think to anyone 30 or under today, the QC would seem like a current device to them, something familiar and inviting and of their era, whereas an FAS unit probably looks and feels like it's literally from another century, like something they'd see in the background on Stranger Things.

Yes, and an electric scooter is easier to use than a Harley.

I'm a real life UX guy, and I'm utterly exhausted by the collective fetish over user friendliness in modeling. It gets thrown around as if it's the great equalizer regardless of tone, accuracy, and features. I think that's upside-down; if you can't compete on the things that matter, then ease-of-use is the only thing keeping your product viable....to some people.
Usability and features or modeling or fx quality are not mutually exclusive.

To me the bar for usability is just kinda low on modelers. Pretty much all of them have bad data management, often a lot of everyday inconveniences for editing stuff whether it's having to spin knobs way too much to go from one end to another, too cramped controls, poorly laid out navigation, lacking MIDI support etc.

I kinda wish Line6 had been able to go with the touchscreen on Helix like they originally wanted because I feel that would have made touchscreen UIs a more staple feature in modelers by this point. We are now in this weird situation where cheaper modelers are in some ways more advanced in user interfaces but don't compete on the sound quality with the big dogs.

I'm watching Leon Todd's Hotone Ampero 2 Stage video right now and to be honest, for a 700 euro modeler it's not bad at all. Seems pretty intuitive to use and the main issue is that 3 knobs is never enough for parameters. It's not quite top tier in amp sounds, but if I was beginning my guitar journey, I'd probably absolutely love it and have fun with it.

I always feel like we are just one generation from modelers being just great all around, whether it's sounds, feel, features or usability.

I think to anyone 30 or under today, the QC would seem like a current device to them, something familiar and inviting and of their era, whereas an FAS unit probably looks and feels like it's literally from another century, like something they'd see in the background on Stranger Things.

If you put the epic Fractal tones in the QC form factor the game would in fact be over. We could all move on with our lives. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, if you're happy having to press an option 2 or 3 times because it doesn't register your finger, more power to you. But that was 100% my experience when I owned one for about 5 months. I sold it because it was frustrating to use and didn't sound anywhere near as good as the Axe FX.

I always feel like we are just one generation from modelers being just great all around, whether it's sounds, feel, features or usability.

That's why I said that I think right now should be the time for modeler makers to finally get their hands dirty on all things usability. Some of them seem to be quite interested already, others not so much.

Personally I think the Axe III is a pretty great UI, if you frame it in the context of the things they have decided they need to present to make their product viable.

Agree (but I'm on the FM3). Honestly...I find it fascinating that UI seems to be a real issue for a lot of folks using a modeler, they are capable of some extremely complex stuff, kinda runs hand in hand. If user experience is of utmost importance...nothing is going to beat a real amp with a basic set of 4-5 controls. If one wants more...there's a learning curve...

Kanye West Shrug GIF

Back