Fractal Talk

Rampage No GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Say who here has played with the Tube Hardness in the amp Block ?
I recently discovered it's one hell of parameter to tweak
I absolutely love the tube parameters on the Axe! I've not spent a lot of time on the hardness level (TWSS), but I love cycling through the tube choices for both the amp and preamp. I am a total neophyte on amps (although I did own a Bassman in the 80's, and Ampeg in the 00's and currently have a Mustang to just have an amp) it amazes me how much of a difference changing the tubes can make. It can literally make or break an amp for me. Now I know nothing about the tube world, but I do know that almost every amp I modify this stuff on, I end up choosing a JJ or a Tung tube. Don't know what it is but EL34, EL84, KT88, etc. seem to have much less weight for me compared to the JJ or Tung at the end of those tube types. I have even done it with eyes closed where I use the down arrow key on keyboard to cycle through the tubes and when I hit one I like and open my eyes, 95% of the time it is a JJ or Tung. I definitely hear the characteristics change from EL84 to 34 to others, but even within those ranges, the JJ or Tung are almost always my favorite in that tube type.

Point is, if you have not played with this feature, and you really like an amp except for a little bit of this or that, try cycling through the tubes and it may be the perfect clean up for that amp!

Goddamn it.
View attachment 16650

F.U. Cliff. :rofl
So one reason I don't have one of these is they're like clown-shoes big. The other reason is that my understanding is the green channel breaks up really early--I like a nice clean, clean. I love the blacked out aesthetics of the Stealth. The EL34 has a cleaner green channel but the black and gold aesthetics don't do it for me. So I researched if you could mod the Stealth to have a clean like the EL34. Turns out you not only can, but it's a super easy DIY mod--all you have to do is clip a capacitor. (Edit: not complete...there are a couple other changes to the circuit as well)

That might be enough to push me over the edge but Cliff modeled the Stealth 100 and I have a decent EVH clean using the 100W 6L6 green with low gain and input trim so...nahh...I'm good. 😂 Thanks Cliff!!

Last edited:
wooo
IMG_5893.jpeg

First thoughts:

- Loving the Axe FX III
- seems to sound and feel slightly better than the FM-3 for whatever reason. Axe Edit seems to run snappier than FM-3 Edit too.
- It really makes the FM-3 feel inferior, the I/O makes the Axe FX SO much more flexible, and there are other small extras that feel totally worth it. I couldn’t really find a use for the FM-3 in my studio but the Axe FX is already doing so many jobs at once that I’m really impressed with.
- My studio must be quiet because I immediately heard the fan and thought it was loud/annoying

Got a few questions though.

I'm usng an Echo Fix reverb pedal in one loop, and a Surfy Bear in another. Echo Fix comes out of Output 3L, and back into Input 3L. Surfy Bear using 3R for in and out. Signal passes nicely, but I'm having a hard time making sense of which blocks I should use to pan, and which to adjust L/R balance. How can I pan the signal from the left channel to the right? The mixer adjusts the balance, not the pan?

Ideally I would have 3L and 3R as individual mono blocks rather than stereo blocks as it makes it quite messy to route stuff. Surely there is a better way that I am missing for dealing with mono signal paths?

Can I presume that its not possible to (hypothetically) have In/Out 3L as one loop before an amp, and In/Out 3R as another after the amp?

I dont mind it because I cant see myself using both pedals at the same time, but it would be cool for some other uses if its flexible enough to treat mono paths on their own.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you could do two instances of 3IN/OUT, just due to the fact there's only one 3 IN and one 3 OUT. Unless I'm understanding that wroong?

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 18.18.16.png

So far this is the best I can do.

Row 3=Dry amp signal
Row 4=Surfy Bear, vol/pan to move the return from the Left to Centre (or wherever)
Row 5=Echo Fix, vol/pan to move the return from the Right to Centre (or wherever)

Mixer on Row 3 to balance Dry, or either Reverb.

Would be great to be able to rename the rows, or mixer channels so I can see "DRY / SURFY BEAR / ECHO FIX", and it would also be cool to rename the outputs. Mute and Solo functions would be handy for the mixer.

Individual mono HW Insert blocks would rule too, something that combines Output/Input/Mixer/Vol/Pan into a single block (possibly with a predelay, phase etc).

OR AM I BEING DUMB?

I'm not sure how you could do two instances of 3IN/OUT, just due to the fact there's only one 3 IN and one 3 OUT. Unless I'm understanding that wroong?
Yeah, I'm wondering if its possible to split them into individual mono paths for L and R, rather than a single stereo block.

Guessing you just have to fudge around with stereo blocks to make it work, hoping theres a less clunky way of doing this.

On a related note:

I’ve been out of the Fractal loop for a while.

Has there been any info about when FM9s will be back in stock?

wooo
View attachment 16879

First thoughts:

- Loving the Axe FX III
- seems to sound and feel slightly better than the FM-3 for whatever reason. Axe Edit seems to run snappier than FM-3 Edit too.
- It really makes the FM-3 feel inferior, the I/O makes the Axe FX SO much more flexible, and there are other small extras that feel totally worth it. I couldn’t really find a use for the FM-3 in my studio but the Axe FX is already doing so many jobs at once that I’m really impressed with.
- My studio must be quiet because I immediately heard the fan and thought it was loud/annoying

Got a few questions though.

I'm usng an Echo Fix reverb pedal in one loop, and a Surfy Bear in another. Echo Fix comes out of Output 3L, and back into Input 3L. Surfy Bear using 3R for in and out. Signal passes nicely, but I'm having a hard time making sense of which blocks I should use to pan, and which to adjust L/R balance. How can I pan the signal from the left channel to the right? The mixer adjusts the balance, not the pan?

Ideally I would have 3L and 3R as individual mono blocks rather than stereo blocks as it makes it quite messy to route stuff. Surely there is a better way that I am missing for dealing with mono signal paths?

Can I presume that its not possible to (hypothetically) have In/Out 3L as one loop before an amp, and In/Out 3R as another after the amp?

I dont mind it because I cant see myself using both pedals at the same time, but it would be cool for some other uses if its flexible enough to treat mono paths on their own.

Don't mind me, but I'll be moving in. :beer

Back