Fractal Talk

@MirrorProfiles you can split into 2 rows after the in3 block and place a volume block on each row. Set the input on one volume block as "left only" and the other as "right only" and you'll have separate mono chains.
Smart!

It's this kind of thing that sets Fractal well beyond other modelers imo. Sure, the sounds are incredible but other modelers can sound very good too. The things you can do with a Fractal unit's I/O in combination with the grid are staggeringly powerful. Nothing else comes even close AFAIK. And obviously all the deep parameters on each block just add to that.

Smart!

It's this kind of thing that sets Fractal well beyond other modelers imo. Sure, the sounds are incredible but other modelers can sound very good too. The things you can do with a Fractal unit's I/O in combination with the grid are staggeringly powerful. Nothing else comes even close AFAIK. And obviously all the deep parameters on each block just add to that.

Too many “which sounds better” comparisons completely miss the point. Sure, you can throw together a very basic preset to compare one unit to another for amp tones, but it’s all the other goodies under the hood that places Fractal in a class all their own.

Too many “which sounds better” comparisons completely miss the point. Sure, you can throw together a very basic preset to compare one unit to another for amp tones, but it’s all the other goodies under the hood that places Fractal in a class all their own.
I am going to say it is Cliff Chase that puts Fractal in a class all their own (which I guess is one of the things "under the hood")! His commitment, ingenuity and drive on the development of these products is what gives me that "from my cold dead hands" feeling ;~)) Even if it were not already the best (which they are 8 ways to Sunday), knowing what I know so far would make a strong push for me towards their products.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

This should speed things up and keep them a bit neater.
The Multiplexer is another handy tool for managing inputs as well.

How are you liking that Surfybear btw? Been eyeing them off as soon as I knew there was a rack model.

The Multiplexer is another handy tool for managing inputs as well.

How are you liking that Surfybear btw? Been eyeing them off as soon as I knew there was a rack model.
Ha I was just watching some videos on the multiplexer this morning. Never really considered its potential on the fm-3 because I was using the device in such a simple way.

Surfybear is awesome, very fendery kind of boingy/drippy spring. Fun for the classic/surfy/psych type stuff. Controls are nice and versatile. Quite big physically though.

Between the 2, I slightly prefer the Echo Fix, it’s a bit smoother and more lush but they’re kind of opposite spring tones in a lot of ways. Echo Fix stuff is just built beautifully well too, they’re doing stuff right. Theres a time and place for the drippy slappy springs though, it’s fun.

Quickly compared Surfybear to the Fractal ones - with Fractal you need to dig in a little with the diffusion parameters and also eq. At default settings they sound a bit dry, where you can hear the individual delay taps more so you have to carefully increase the diffusion to find a sweet spot.

One of those ones where you might get close with some tweaking, but ultimately one sounds LIKE a spring and the other IS a spring. Just a bit more fun playing into real ones with their own dedicated controls, could be bias but it feels like an interactive dynamic thing more than digital springs do.

It’s really fun patching in non-guitar stuff to them, sometimes you expect one to work and then the other one just fits in better. I think scouring the used markets and hunting down ANY crusty old spring reverb is valuable, it’s kind of like when studios have a battered old upright with a distinctive tone. The more unique, the more fun.

I'm nearing the end of the return period for the FM3 mkI that I got as a B-stock from G66. I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be staying with the FM3, but I'm wondering if updating to mkII Turbo would be worth it? It would cost about 250€ more but money is not an issue. The FM9 is maybe a bit too much money for me to justify, however, as well as being quite large. I also like to use my HX FX with the Fractal anyway for some of the FX I really like and it has the added benefit of taking some load off the FM3 when necessary.

Are there any actual meaningful differences between the FM3 and FM9 when it comes to the amp modeling? I only care about the basic quality of the modeling, things like bias tremolo and dynamics processing etc. is meaningless to me. I was reading through the release notes, and there are more blurbs about the modeling in the FM9 notes, but I'm not sure if that means that the changes weren't actually implemented in the FM3 or if they were just not mentioned in the release notes.

Stuff like the below is in the FM9 notes but not in the FM3 notes, I don't know why this stuff wouldn't be implemented on the FM3, so maybe some of this stuff is just left out of the notes?
  • Updated PVH 6160 Block and PVH 6160+ models. New models have more accurate Gain knob response.
  • Reduced default Power Tube Grid Bias for PVH 6160 and Recto models as previous default was hotter than these amps are typically run due to the non-adjustable bias.

I'm nearing the end of the return period for the FM3 mkI that I got as a B-stock from G66. I'm pretty much convinced that I'll be staying with the FM3, but I'm wondering if updating to mkII Turbo would be worth it?
IMO no. The FM3 Turbo is slightly more powerful and has bigger screens for the footswitches. Neither are that relevant and I don't think worth 250 € extra. 250 € would buy you say a good MIDI controller to augment the FM3 footswitching.

Are there any actual meaningful differences between the FM3 and FM9 when it comes to the amp modeling?
Just dual amp/cab support afaik.

Stuff like the below is in the FM9 notes but not in the FM3 notes, I don't know why this stuff wouldn't be implemented on the FM3, so maybe some of this stuff is just left out of the notes?
  • Updated PVH 6160 Block and PVH 6160+ models. New models have more accurate Gain knob response.
  • Reduced default Power Tube Grid Bias for PVH 6160 and Recto models as previous default was hotter than these amps are typically run due to the non-adjustable bias.
It might be just an omission in the notes. Usually the differences might be in things like reverb or pitch shifting where the FM9's extra horsepower comes into play.

IMO no. The FM3 Turbo is slightly more powerful and has bigger screens for the footswitches. Neither are that relevant and I don't think worth 250 € extra. 250 € would buy you say a good MIDI controller to augment the FM3 footswitching.
This sounds very sensible. The increased cpu seems to be quite insignificant and I see fine with glasses. My HX FX works great as a MIDI controller for my needs, so I could use the money for something fun instead!

Not gonna lie, I haven’t even gotten to crank my 50-watt 5153 yet, but I’ve already wondered what the 100 watt is like. :rofl

Can't be real, right??
IMG_4025.jpeg

I can't qualify for you if that extra processing power is worth the price difference; but I think 11% positive wiggle room is a good thing. I can run my almost kitchen sink preset on the FM3. I am right around 80% and I would certainly not mind the extra bump for peace of mind? That aside; I really appreciate the FM and the III in their own ways for what they are. Good stuff \m/

Did it have a pic? Could have labeled it wrong?
That's my guess. I'll actually try to call the store. I'd have waited but... 🍷 🍷 🍷 made the decision for me 😂

DON’T TELL ME WHERE THIS IS :rofl
Based on the screenshot, I’m thinking @deadpool_25 already pulled the trigger. I think you are safe.

(but if the trigger remains unpulled, hit me up yo)
😬

Before you order be sure to stop by IKEA and get a table it will fit on
I think it would fit (barely) on the Mesa 4x12 but I still think it's not what it was listed as. No way it's a 100w stealth or even 100w EL34. Might be a 100w 6L6 I guess.

I can't qualify for you if that extra processing power is worth the price difference; but I think 11% positive wiggle room is a good thing. I can run my almost kitchen sink preset on the FM3. I am right around 80% and I would certainly not mind the extra bump for peace of mind? That aside; I really appreciate the FM and the III in their own ways for what they are. Good stuff \m/
I had a lot better time with the FM3 when I moved away from do-it-all presets on it.

If Fractal adds the gapless switching, then that approach becomes even better.

I had a lot better time with the FM3 when I moved away from do-it-all presets on it.

If Fractal adds the gapless switching, then that approach becomes even better.
I was scared based on my post fx only preset usage that I would kill the CPU with a full signal chain with drive and amp block but removing the reverb and doing some creative usage with the PlexDelay was the trick.

I really appreciate the FM and the III in their own ways for what they are. Good stuff \m/

So, refreshing my memory, you don't have the FM9 anymore? If not, do you ever wish you had it, when using the FM3?

My happiness with the GT1000FX as a power amp for the QC (which I"m still loving) has planted a strong curiosity of "what would a Fractal sound like with this," I can't deny.

Just debating between waiting for FM9s to be back in stock or grabbing a new (or maybe used) FM3... or waiting until the curiosity passes. :grin

Back