Fractal Talk

So, refreshing my memory, you don't have the FM9 anymore? If not, do you ever wish you had it, when using the FM3?

My happiness with the GT1000FX as a power amp for the QC (which I"m still loving) has planted a strong curiosity of "what would a Fractal sound like with this," I can't deny.

Just debating between waiting for FM9s to be back in stock or grabbing a new (or maybe used) FM3... or waiting until the curiosity passes. :grin
If you are happy with where you are; I say stick with it if you can. I don't have the 9 anymore; just the 3 and the III. The FM allows me to add more analog/standalone pedals on my board that I need.

I could see an FM9 and exp being a killer combo with your Matrix and cab. I know your rationale of "might as well just bring my amp if that's the case" but the FM9 as your pedals and amp models is a clean AF setup.
:chef

So, refreshing my memory, you don't have the FM9 anymore? If not, do you ever wish you had it, when using the FM3?

My happiness with the GT1000FX as a power amp for the QC (which I"m still loving) has planted a strong curiosity of "what would a Fractal sound like with this," I can't deny.

Just debating between waiting for FM9s to be back in stock or grabbing a new (or maybe used) FM3... or waiting until the curiosity passes. :grin
As mentioned in a few posts
IF Fractal gets that gapless switching working in the FM3
The FM9s extra amp block and CPU becomes much less of a draw , especially if you change your workflow to using presets
One for clean , one for crunch one for less etc
Now you won’t have to use a do it all kitchen sink preset
And CPU constraints become much less of and issue

The FM9s extra amp block and CPU becomes much less of a draw , especially if you change your workflow to using presets

That's true, and an excellent point.

However, we've seen that you need a little extra CPU overhead to do the gapless switching in the first place. Nobody yet knows what the percentage hit will be to the FM3 if FAS can get it ported.

I know your rationale of "might as well just bring my amp if that's the case"

Well, that's more connected to bringing a tube head as a power amp for a modeler; I'd rather just use the tube head on its own, if I'm bringing it.

But I fully intend on gigging this Matrix + Recto 2x12 + QC setup this year. It sounds insanely good, largely because the capture of my Dyne is pure :chef (the amp models are good but not FAS level).

But in a lot of ways, I'd feel more secure with a FAS setup and am very curious about trying one with the Matrix. (I only had the ISP Steallth Pro when I last had the FM9.)

Also probably just an excuse to buy sh*t and endlessly try it out! :rofl

Well, that's more connected to bringing a tube head as a power amp for a modeler; I'd rather just use the tube head on its own, if I'm bringing it.

But I fully intend on gigging this Matrix + Recto 2x12 + QC setup this year. It sounds insanely good, largely because the capture of my Dyne is pure :chef (the amp models are good but not FAS level).

But in a lot of ways, I'd feel more secure with a FAS setup and am very curious about trying one with the Matrix. (I only had the ISP Steallth Pro when I last had the FM9.)

Also probably just an excuse to buy sh*t and endlessly try it out! :rofl
Are your presets that complex? Maybe give the Turbo a 15 day trial and see how it pans out :unsure:

I can't qualify for you if that extra processing power is worth the price difference; but I think 11% positive wiggle room is a good thing. I can run my almost kitchen sink preset on the FM3. I am right around 80% and I would certainly not mind the extra bump for peace of mind? That aside; I really appreciate the FM and the III in their own ways for what they are. Good stuff \m/
I'm under the impression that it's basically like 6-7 percentage points more useable DSP?

If they get the gapless working that'll make it less important, since you can just swap out blocks per preset. Unless gapless uses way more dsp. Bah. Maybe I should just go for the Turbo anyway

As mentioned in a few posts
And CPU constraints become much less of and issue

The big draw for me to add an FM9 to the accumulation was the variable input impedance and additional reverb and amp blocks. I was using the FM3 with my band and leaving the Axe 3 at home, but I started coming up with some really great stuff in the rack unit that the FM3 simply could not do, particularly running a clean/EOB amp in parallel with a dirty amp, which is something I do all the time when recording stuff.

giphy.gif

Back