Fractal Talk

Not crazy. I do. Not sure how much cuckoo and placebo it is but I do. Maybe not latency as much as just a hair better overall experience? @jellodog whatchu think?
I don't have a FM3 anymore but to me it was always something like "uh...maybe some difference, but I can't be sure" level stuff. To me you might as well consider the FM3 equal to the Axe-Fx 3 for how it sounds and behaves within the limitations of the processor. No small feat since it's something like 25% of the Axe-Fx 3's horsepower and FM9 is like 50%.

But I'm probably not super sensitive to latency unless it gets pretty high. Wireless + audio interface + plugins is high enough to notice. Wireless into a modeler, totally fine.

I don't have a FM3 anymore but to me it was always something like "uh...maybe some difference, but I can't be sure" level stuff. To me you might as well consider the FM3 equal to the Axe-Fx 3 for how it sounds and behaves within the limitations of the processor. No small feat since it's something like 25% of the Axe-Fx 3's horsepower and FM9 is like 50%.

But I'm probably not super sensitive to latency unless it gets pretty high. Wireless + audio interface + plugins is high enough to notice. Wireless into a modeler, totally fine.
At home through studio monitors; I want the full enchilada
spongebob squarepants chipotle GIF

Not crazy. I do. Not sure how much cuckoo and placebo it is but I do. Maybe not latency as much as just a hair better overall experience? @jellodog whatchu think?

I agree with you. It's very subtle, but I believe that it's there.

It may be a placebo, it may be down to a number of things that I can't quantify, but I am enjoying the difference.

I have hesitated to mention this before (publicly) because I didn't want to get into the usual D&M forum arguments (observed elsewhere) where a bunch of people tell me that I couldn't possibly feel or hear a difference. This will probably be my last public statement on the topic for this reason.

get my coat

For all the others that want to know: Just try one!

Last edited:
might have just ordered an axe fx III 👀 (currently an fm-3 owner).

I actually don’t need the extra DSP, but the extra I/O and form factor are what won me.

Just trying to plan how I’ll rig the Axe up in my studio, I think it might be a bit different to a lot of guys here.

IMG_5876.jpeg

Stereo I/O means I can use it as a stereo line level FX unit on the patchbay, or route DI’s in at line level.

My reamp box has a spare output that I never use, so I can route that to the rear input and it’s perfectly levelled and normalled ready to go.

My Ampete amp switcher has an FX loop, if I hook up the Axe to that, it’ll make it really easy to integrate anything in/via the Axe to my amps fx loops. No need to patch any cables, would just be ready to go.

Hooking up my HW spring reverbs to the other I/O means I can use those as line level reverbs if I want, or I can combine with any of the setups above. Basically makes the Axe FX a mini instrument level patchbay.

Having it hooked up to the Fryette PS2A means, if I want to, I can run the amp models through a poweramp and cab easily.

Only thing I think I’m missing is if I want to run the AxeFX in front of amps. I think I could probably use one of the humbuster outputs to go into the front of the Ampete.

I can only imagine how confusing it sounds to everyone, but in theory this should be VERY flexible, while also taking up less space than the FM-3, and with no need to ever plug cables in.

Is it possible to make an Input+Output assignment appear as its own block? for instance an Echo Fix or Surfy Bear block that is just routing out and back in (but named with my own labels and using a single block on the grid)?

Would also be handy if I can rename inputs and outputs so I can easily see if I’m sending something to a poweramp or reverb (for instance).

Last edited:

I actually don’t need the extra DSP, but the extra I/O and form factor are what won me.

Just trying to plan how I’ll rig the Axe up in my studio, I think it might be a bit different to a lot of guys here.

View attachment 16706
Stereo I/O means I can use it as a stereo line level FX unit on the patchbay, or route DI’s in at line level.

My reamp box has a spare output that I never use, so I can route that to the rear input and it’s perfectly levelled and normalled ready to go.

My Ampete amp switcher has an FX loop, if I hook up the Axe to that, it’ll make it really easy to integrate anything in/via the Axe to my amps fx loops. No need to patch any cables, would just be ready to go.

Hooking up my HW spring reverbs to the other I/O means I can use those as line level reverbs if I want, or I can combine with any of the setups above.

Having it hooked up to the Fryette PS2A means, if I want to, I can run the amp models through a poweramp and cab easily.

Only thing I think I’m missing is if I want to run the AxeFX in front of amps. I think I could probably use one of the humbuster outputs to go into the front of the Ampete.

I can only imagine how confusing it sounds to everyone, but in theory this should be VERY flexible, while also taking up less space than the FM-3, and with no need to ever plug cables in.
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on how it works with the PS2A. 👍🏻

At home through studio monitors; I want the full enchilada
spongebob squarepants chipotle GIF

Yeaaaaah....for content and possibilities, it'd be the full enchilada.

For my personal preferred workflow, it'd be more like the $5 cravings box at Taco Bell. I swore off rack units with Eleven Rack, and I don't intend on going back. I deal with enough cables/configs elsewhere.

View attachment 16706

Hooking up my HW spring reverbs to the other I/O means I can use those as line level reverbs if I want, or I can combine with any of the setups above. Basically makes the Axe FX a mini instrument level patchbay.

Is it possible to make an Input+Output assignment appear as its own block? for instance an Echo Fix or Surfy Bear block that is just routing out and back in (but named with my own labels and using a single block on the grid)?

Would also be handy if I can rename inputs and outputs so I can easily see if I’m sending something to a poweramp or reverb (for instance).
hmm so as far as I’m aware (I might be wrong)

- it’s not possible to use the I/O as individual mono blocks, I have to use stereo ones and pan creatively
- it’s not possible to rename inputs and outputs, this would be nice for routing stuff without having to double check/reference how it’s set up
- no HW insert block (would be awesome to have a single block that is a set input and output)
- would RULE to be able to split the grid view in half, and half distinct presets in each half. I can envisage using 2 distinct chains at ones and it would be cool to be able to adjust presets on one chain without buggering the other.

When the unit arrives and I get set up, I’ll make some proper feature request posts. It’s pretty crazy how I’ve never used the FM-3 for anything advanced because the I/O is so much more constrained. The Axe FX allows so many different possible uses with a lot of flexibility and I think it’ll integrate ALL of my studio gear very nicely as a central hub.

For my personal preferred workflow, it'd be more like the $5 cravings box at Taco Bell. I swore off rack units with Eleven Rack, and I don't intend on going back. I deal with enough cables/configs elsewhere.

That's my one nagging, persistent sensation every time I get close to pulling the trigger.

I swore off rack units with Eleven Rack, and I don't intend on going back.

That's my one nagging, persistent sensation every time I get close to pulling the trigger.

I struggled with the idea of gigging the III. I even bought a 6U SKB rack case for it (ended up putting it in a 3U Gator rack bag) but never warmed to the idea of hauling around the III, a FC-12 and a CLR or two with poles to mount them on.

I'm much more comfortable with the FM9 and FR-12 as a gig rig. Significantly more portable and looks much more conventional.

Rack rigs are fine, particularly in a studio but they just don't appeal to me as a rig for playing out.

The extra features of the III are nice to have, as well as being ahead of the curve on development by a few months, but to me neither of those matter when playing gigs. The convenience of the FM9 when hauling around gear to and from the stage outweighs that by a wide margin.

I struggled with the idea of gigging the III. I even bought a 6U SKB rack case for it (ended up putting it in a 3U Gator rack bag) but never warmed to the idea of hauling around the III, a FC-12 and a CLR or two with poles to mount them on.

I'm much more comfortable with the FM9 and FR-12 as a gig rig. Significantly more portable and looks much more conventional.

Rack rigs are fine, particularly in a studio but they just don't appeal to me as a rig for playing out.

The extra features of the III are nice to have, as well as being ahead of the curve on development by a few months, but to me neither of those matter when playing gigs. The convenience of the FM9 when hauling around gear to and from the stage outweighs that by a wide margin.

Yup. There's nothing remotely appealing about gigging a rack unit for me. When we had our Power Amps racked to
drive the PA we would hide them out of sight. Fugly is fugly! :LOL:

Back