Fractal Talk

With all due respect to your dad.... I ain't buying this. Big masses of transformer iron + maximum velocity and all.
Maybe off a table or from 6 feet or something.

:beer

Dad has told some tales in the past, for sure. I’m still confident I’ve heard this story elsewhere, but this was the reply I got from dad yesterday-

IMG_5311.jpeg

I have not checked to see if there’s any evidence of this.

When you all record with a fractal unit, do you set a high low cut on the cab block? Ive been setting mine to around 80 and 7500 but sometimes it just feels too boxy or not open.

Last edited:
When you all record with a fractal unit, do you set a high low cut on the cab block? Ive been setting mine to around 80 and 7500 but sometimes it just feels to boxy or not open.
I've pretty much stopped using them when the Dyna-Cabs got released. A bit of low cut can be useful, maybe you can use high cut to get a bit of sizzle out of the sound, but it's much less of an essential thing to do now when you can instead just move the mic to make it brighter/darker.

The 4x12 1960TV + Condenser mic a few cm away from the cone, close to the center and I'm all good. Mix with a nice Marshall amp model, serve with cool riffs.

I've pretty much stopped using them when the Dyna-Cabs got released. A bit of low cut can be useful, maybe you can use high cut to get a bit of sizzle out of the sound, but it's much less of an essential thing to do now when you can instead just move the mic to make it brighter/darker.

The 4x12 1960TV + Condenser mic a few cm away from the cone, close to the center and I'm all good. Mix with a nice Marshall amp model, serve with cool riffs.
Thank you! I'll give this a go!

In addition, smoothing can help when used somewhat sparingly. I might throw smoothing at 1.8 or something like that to tame that last bit of spikiness without dramatically affecting the mic+cab combination by moving the mic more.
I've never we tried smoothing! I felt like when I left it wide open there was some fizz but that was when playing outside a mix. I wonder how present the fizz would even be in context

I've never we tried smoothing! I felt like when I left it wide open there was some fizz but that was when playing outside a mix. I wonder how present the fizz would even be in context
I can't attached the block, but this is my go-to recipe for most anything:
  • 4x12 Recto Straight
  • Dynamic 1
  • Position 5.80
  • Distance 6.00cm
  • Smoothing 1.80

Here is my sloppy noodling using the gift of tone chris baseford scene 8. No low cut - hi cut in the dyna cab. I haven't tweaked anything yet in this preset. no smoothing in FM3. :(

For anyone that missed the Chris Baseford stream it was really cool
Also as an extra if you go to his website and sign up for the mailing list he is going to send out a JVM preset but even cooler IMO
His Dyna Cab blocks Library
Where he has set defaults on all of the currently available cabs
He said just throw it in your library
I thought that was pretty neat

For anyone that missed the Chris Baseford stream it was really cool
Also as an extra if you go to his website and sign up for the mailing list he is going to send out a JVM preset but even cooler IMO
His Dyna Cab blocks Library
Where he has set defaults on all of the currently available cabs
He said just throw it in your library
I thought that was pretty neat
I saw that and went through and created the blocks for myself. I couldn't figure out how to get the blocks from Chris' website.
I can post a dropbox to blocks library I created if anyone is interested in saving time but wants the blocks.

I saw that and went through and created the blocks for myself. I couldn't figure out how to get the blocks from Chris' website.
I can post a dropbox to blocks library I created if anyone is interested in saving time but wants the blocks.
He will email them out to anyone on his mailing list , next week he mentioned

Yeah, the gap has never seemed wider. Oh well.
Looks like the FM3 and FM9 both got their last major update on August 17th, so 4 months ago. The big feature then was DynaCabs, and I'm sure we're all happy about that... So in calendar terms it hasn't been that long; it's just that it seems there's been a lot of significant updates for the III over that time frame...

Sometimes I wish Cliff would just step away from the source code and give the FM devs a chance to catch up. :-) And yet his relentless pursuit of perfection is such an inspiration....

My personal takeaway is that the next time I buy another Fractal will be the flagship model regardless of whether my guitar skillz justify it. :-)

My personal takeaway is that the next time I buy another Fractal will be the flagship model regardless of whether my guitar skillz justify it. :-)
Maybe this is the grand finale of updates before a new flagship for next year 😎 now I sound like one of those people

Back