Fractal Talk

I'm still not sure why Fractal creates separate models for cathode switches, their modeling tech is advanced enough to have these on-the-fly all in one model.

All these switches on the IIC+ (Pull Bass, Pull Deep, Pull Bright) are cathode bypass caps, it's interesting that neither Fractal nor Line 6 can do on-the-fly cathode bypass cap switching.
In a real amp the cathode bypass cap changes the triode operation/bias point, gain and frequency response, I assume it has something to do with complex equations and DSP and cannot be done without wasting a ton of resources.

EDIT:
But with Fractal, I would never say never.

All these switches on the IIC+ (Pull Bass, Pull Deep, Pull Bright) are cathode bypass caps, it's interesting that neither Fractal nor Line 6 can do on-the-fly cathode bypass cap switching.
In a real amp the cathode bypass cap changes the triode operation/bias point, gain and frequency response, I assume it has something to do with complex equations and DSP and cannot be done without wasting a ton of resources.

EDIT:
But with Fractal, I would never say never.

I am guessing you are thinking about something like the Synergy does and yes it would be very awesome to have

CATHODE SELECT SWITCH:
This 3-position switch allows you to configure the input tube bass response to match the original circuit of the selected module. This will affect the feel and tightness. Each amp designer has a specific combination of components that make up their input tube circuit. We have selected the three most popular combinations which you can access with this switch. The module will come preset to Synergy's preferred setting 3 (1.8/1uF) or alternatively for a little more headroom 2 (2.7k/0.68uF).

Another thing that would be great to have and was mentioned but the concern is that it would break a lot of people presets
But a Virtual tube swap switch so when you change power tubes in say and EVH stealth to EL34 all the behind the scenes things like bias , Low Freq res , hi freq , res , transformer settings all change to
But in order to not break presets you would need a on/ off switch

Last edited:
My understanding is that when something has an effect on something else down the line, Fractal prefers to do another model. Or there might be issues that whatever things don't switch fast enough, cause some pop or whatever.

Hopefully for next gen they will be able to bundle each amp and its channels/modes all into one model, to be used more like the real amp.

I would be certain levels of delighted with this. I actually like the Mark V more than the JP-2C.

It's certainly much more versatile. Sorry, John. :LOL:

I am so stoked about the Fractalverse getting the Mark V that I had to fire mine up
last night and let it rip. Man, I love that amp. :banana

Telecaster in Tweed Mode at 10W and Tube Rectifiers, and you can melt faces with some
Albert Collins-esque bite and sting. No EQ on engaged on Ch. 1. Then Ch. 2 in 45W mode,
I can get a killer Marshall-esque crunch---in spite of popular myths to the contrary. No EQ
engaged on Ch. 2.

Now, Ch. 3... engage that fucking EQ in 90W mode and chug like a gaggle of Frat Boys on a Friday night. :headbang

Well it looks like I'm going to have to eat crow with regards to my UPS comments.

Awkward Ed Helms GIF by The Office

UPS have delivered a day earlier than estimated and the shipping and delivery was super quick, despite the convoluted route to my door!

af3-boxes@0.5x.jpg

Regretfully, I'm going to have to put our beloved JT on ignore; because his influencer thing is starting to get super expensive for me! :rofl

Only joking about JT, of course.

The story so far: FM3 -> FM9 -> AF3.

It's only a matter of time @paisleywookiee !

Seriously: I love the format of the FM9. Just curious to see what the flagship device is like. Perhaps it won't be the right fit for me after all?
spin-think.gif

Last edited:
Well it looks like I'm going to have to eat crow with regards to my UPS comments.

Awkward Ed Helms GIF by The Office

UPS have delivered a day earlier than estimated and the shipping and delivery was super quick, despite the convoluted route to my door!

View attachment 15803

Regretfully, I'm going to have to put our beloved JT on ignore; because his influencer thing is starting to get super expensive for me! :rofl

The story so far: FM3 -> FM9 -> AF3.

It's only a matter of time @paisleywookiee !

Seriously: I love the format of the FM9. Just curious to see what the flagship device is like. Perhaps it won't be the right fit for me after all? View attachment 15804
Nah, the AxeIII is cool, but I’ll probably wait for the next cycle to get the big boy. I’m not at all running out of steam on the FM9T.

Alright, @FractalAudio, I dunno how many sales you’ve gotten off this forum but it’s time to hawk up a broken FM9 for our physical Modeler Wars videos.

Don’t even try to tell us it wouldn’t make you chuckle to see an FM9 descending upon a QC at 50mph.

We’ll even make it fair first, we’ll chuck other modelers at the FM9, then when the FM9 bounces everything off-
Black And White Dancing GIF by Fleischer Studios

Alright, @FractalAudio, I dunno how many sales you’ve gotten off this forum but it’s time to hawk up a broken FM9 for our physical Modeler Wars videos.

Don’t even try to tell us it wouldn’t make you chuckle to see an FM9 descending upon a QC at 50mph.

We’ll even make it fair first, we’ll chuck other modelers at the FM9, then when the FM9 bounces everything off-
Put an RC engine and some tank wheels on it
:rollsafe

I'd pay good money to see that!

I would LOVE to see how a Helix Floor battlebot stacks up against an FM9, QC, and maybe even a HeadRush Prime :rofl I'm not sure who would come out on top, but I can say my Helix fell sideways a good 4 feet up onto a hardwood floor, and it did absolutely nothing to the Helix but took a huge chunk out of the floor.
Mount the wheels upside down and remote activate the expression pedal to use it for doing in battle flips over the other units
:rollsafe

I would LOVE to see how a Helix Floor battlebot stacks up against an FM9, QC, and maybe even a HeadRush Prime :rofl I'm not sure who would come out on top, but I can say my Helix fell sideways a good 4 feet up onto a hardwood floor, and it did absolutely nothing to the Helix but took a huge chunk out of the floor.
I think @Orvillain smashed his helix floor up a good bit but can't remember how

Back