Fractal Talk

There’s still a fair amount of guys who are into big racks.
You don't say...
comedy central pervert GIF by The Other Two

There’s still a fair amount of guys who are into big racks. I can’t remember the FB group, it’s Huge Racks Something (not Inc) and it’s fairly active. Dude’s building these huge 20 space racks with all the gear you’d see in Lukather or Vai’s rigs back in the day. It’d be a blast to do if I had a shitload of disposable cash.
I’m on the Rack Gear Enthusiasts FB group. Sometimes I’m envious of what they build, sometimes I realize most of those guys are building 40-year-old computer systems.

Either way the king of the collectors seems to be Michael Toren. His collection is incredible.

I thought about going that way before I got the Axe Fx, but then I got to thinking, this stuff is old. 30 years. What happens if/when the components start to fail? And I'm not talking about boards, because my thinking is once they've gone the first year or so, they're probably gonna last forever.

But the other components, like the encoders, push-buttons, caps, LED's..., it could end up costing more to fix it than it's worth. So you just spent..., you know, $500-$1500 or whatever, for a paperweight.

And I have no idea how/where you find someone who is even capable, and good enough, to work on them. Or even if you do, then there's shipping to worry about. Nah.

My opinion is it's best to just avoid all that stuff altogether. Stay with recent stuff, and sell it and move on before it becomes worthless. Like I didn't do. Who wants a BBE Sonic Maximizer these day?

I’m on the Rack Gear Enthusiasts FB group. Sometimes I’m envious of what they build, sometimes I realize most of those guys are building 40-year-old computer systems.

Either way the king of the collectors seems to be Michael Toren. His collection is incredible.

Toren’s got a ridiculous amount of rack gear.

Though I had to chuckle, when he was on Tone Talk he had bought a rack delay unit, but it wasn’t the delay effect kind of unit, it was meant to tune PA speakers with in large arenas/stadiums. I’d love to have enough liquid cash where I could just see shit like “delay unit” and buy it without researching it!

Toren’s got a ridiculous amount of rack gear.

Though I had to chuckle, when he was on Tone Talk he had bought a rack delay unit, but it wasn’t the delay effect kind of unit, it was meant to tune PA speakers with in large arenas/stadiums. I’d love to have enough liquid cash where I could just see shit like “delay unit” and buy it without researching it!
I guess a lot of this stuff is not as expensive as you'd think. There has to be a ton of rack stuff that somebody just wants to get rid of since they take a lot of space and then it's just a case of finding the listing at the right time. It might be just a few hundred for something that was thousands of bucks when it was new. Obviously it adds up over time to a lot of money.

I wish the rack thing had kept going and instead of people returning to pedals, the Eurorack format would have become the defacto "small effect" form factor. Crouching down to adjust knobs is kinda stupid.

If all this could have been paired with more advanced MIDI capable of asking each effect "what can you do?" and populating that stuff to the floor controller it could have been easy enough for the average person to use when they don't need to know about MIDI PC and CC stuff.

Finally got a chance to play some of the Dyna cabs at volume they are pretty damn good
I know some mention a lack of low end but you can really turn up the bass and depth on the amps a lot more now without it flubbing out and to my ears it’s more natural and not a hyped bass , also the clarity in the top end and string seperation is better
I honestly just through together 2 Freidman cabs v30 and Greenback
57 /121 and it’s sounded killer

I just did one a couple mm off the cap with the condenser, and then I use the dynamic2 1/3 of the way to the edge from cap and back ~12 mm. Pan -10 and +10.
Ymmv lol

Last edited:
Back