Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

To me there is benefit for third party Dyna-Cabs with several factors that are more fundamental than indivisible and mix IRs:
  • The overall cab, speaker, and mic selection
  • The room's tone
  • The cab's placement in the room, which will weigh heavily in the final capture
  • The acoustic treatment of the room overall, which reflects the creator's knowledge and choices
  • The mitigation, or lack thereof, of reflections around the cab and mic
  • Which single speaker on a multi speaker cab the engineer chooses by ear
  • Which mic the creator chooses, since different mics of the same model can sound different
  • The mic pre used in the capture. Cliff wrote that he tried two different ones, but settled on (I think) his Neve, which had less mids.
  • The creator's cables, which will affect the tone of the cab overall
  • The power of the studio, which notably had an effect on how tube amps act in different rooms, and will affect where the engineer thinks the cab sounds best.
There may be other factors too that are not coming to mind, but I do think the craft of the person creating the IR does matter, even with DynaCabs. What I've listed above includes factors of active decision making by the engineer as well as just the effect of the gear itself, each part of which will affect the tone, including the power. And I think of the gear itself as a reflection of the knowledge, experience, and taste of the engineer.

Not to mention, two cabs of the same model might sound different, and it was the engineer's choice of which one sounded best that led finally to the capture.

I really do hope that for all DynaCab packs that a matching IR and a disclosure of the overall cab wattage (for calculating Speaker Thump) will be included.
I agree , I have dug everything YA has done and I think Justin has awesome ears that get the sound I want to hear so when his packs become available hopefully in a few months I will definitely grab one to check it out

practice GIF

This makes a lot of sense to me. If they've worked hard to optimise and fit Dyna Cabs onto the FM3; then the work to port to the FM9 ought to be plain sailing after that.

Still hoping for an FM9 beta to appear this week though! 🙏

(also totally cool with waiting)
I notice they also got the channel switching speed improvements that the AX3 guys said was noticeably fast now , that really cool especially with the single amp block

Ah yeah No worries there im in no rush, My current IR is doing the Job and im still on the Same song so right now all i need is my current patch
But it may come in handy for my next opne though

Same. I'm still digging York's KW 412, MRSH 412 and BMAN 410 (etc.).

I can wait for the Dyna Cabs. What I've got sounds pretty good right now. But of course, we always can't help but wonder what... say, another 2% "more" might sound like 🙂

I'm excited as much for the new carefully transcribed Speaker Impedance Curves as I am for the perfectly matched cabs themselves. And then of course, there is the improved utility of the new UI.

A few notes from me on the Dyna cabs (I have the FXIII).

1. As many have said here and elsewhere, 10 minutes playing with it can have you ditching the IR's you have spent countless hours choosing and tweaking.
2. You can have Dyna on one channel and Legacy on another channel. You do not need to add a second cab block to enjoy the two varieties (unless you want them simultaneously)!

3. Here are print screens of my old (Legacy) and new (Dyna). You might notice that I now have 4 cabs instead of two. Part of this is due to the fact that you can add as many as you want and they won't get muddled. Each cab adds it's character, but because of the alignment, they blend seamlessly.

Old:
MW_FractalCabs_Legacy_2023Jun27.jpg

New:
MW_FractalCabs_Dyna_2023Jun27.jpg

Edit: BTW, I tried a lot of combinations of mics and spacing, and I kept coming back to the ribbons with every variation I tried. Just my ear and the style I am looking for, but I did try others is the point!

Last edited:
Same. I'm still digging York's KW 412, MRSH 412 and BMAN 410 (etc.).

I can wait for the Dyna Cabs. What I've got sounds pretty good right now. But of course, we always can't help but wonder what... say, another 2% "more" might sound like 🙂

I'm excited as much for the new carefully transcribed Speaker Impedance Curves as I am for the perfectly matched cabs themselves. And then of course, there is the improved utility of the new UI.
and the REVV and improved switching of the channels thats awesome as well (y)

Back