Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Nice Interface ... for Dynacab on Edit

1679933013636.png

Memory and storage are completely different things as I'm sure you know. The device doesn't need all the IRs in memory at all times. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Helix (or any other high-end modeler) has only 32 MB of storage. Storage is dirt cheap and has been for a long time now so that'd be surprising, but maybe you've taken one apart to see.

If you're getting 28 MB from the download size, that is going to be very highly compressed (lossless compression, to be clear for those who don't understand file compression) since the IRs are so similar - compression relies on redundancy in the data. Maybe they're interpolating, I don't know, but it seems like you're basing this theory on some shaky assumptions
You're wrong on every account.

Sidetrack discussion, but, are we sure the Helix internal storage is only 32Mb? I found a gut shot for a Helix Rack where the main Flash storage is 4Gb (Toshiba THGBM5G6A1JBAIR).

Doesn't mean that's actually what Helix can address though; eMMC Flash chips are very easy to change across hardware revisions.

Last edited:
So I gave the new Axe-Edit and Dyna-Cabs a spin. Found some small bugs in Axe-Edit (reported on FAS forums) but mostly it worked well.

The Dyna-cabs themselves sound fantastic! I can't also overstate how big a workflow improvement this is because I was able to try out different cabs with the same mic settings very quickly to find out things I liked and then fine tune those just by dragging the mic controls around a bit. If the "Authentic" tab for Amp block was the "make it easy for users", then Dyna-cabs does the same for the cabs.

If you ask me, Fractal should throw out the legacy IR banks and replace them with Dyna-cabs, use the storage saved for something else - like more Dyna-cabs! Make the old factory IRs downloadable files for those who need them.

Yeah, I’m considering buying one for my recording setup, so would be curious to know if this cab block will make it down to the 3.

@FractalAudio please blink twice if I should hold off for the FM3 Turbo+ Edition.
Sorry for the OT post...

Dude, I just realized that I spend too much time on this forum. I was watching TV and they showed a snipped of Pulp Fiction. My first thought was why is Whizz so upset and yelling, he always seems like a chill guy?! After a few milliseconds of brain latency, I realized the mistake.

If you ask me, Fractal should throw out the legacy IR banks and replace them with Dyna-cabs, use the storage saved for something else - like more Dyna-cabs! Make the old factory IRs downloadable files for those who need them.
I like this idea, but I wonder if some licensing agreement would prevent making the third party factory IRs (from OH, RW, YA, etc) freely available for download.

I can't also overstate how big a workflow improvement
This ^^ as was the case with Helix 3.5 Cab update, its so much easier to find what one needs and get a great working tone instead of folder diving for that one perfect IR
Sure I have a few go to IR's but this type of cab Implementation is just the cats meow

Back