Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

As long as Paisley came up I gotta mention a favorite TV crush of mine.

s-l400.jpg

I’m still getting my feet wet using a Fractal Product.
Stupid questions are my forte.
That being said …
Read the room before throwing out bullrushing comments.

I wouldn’t sweat it. I’ve been working with digital stuff since the early nineties and have been able to quickly figure out most units I bought through the years-until I entered the Fractal universe. There’s just so much to unpack with Fractal stuff that you pretty much need to take things in baby steps or else risk hurting your brain.

Man, FM owners be like, WTF??

Yeah but FM owners didn't buy them to be on the bleeding edge of firmware updates. Anyone who did is sorely mistaken about how this works. The III gets new features first, the other models get them when they get them. That's always been how it works and I doubt it will change.

Man, FM owners be like, WTF??

Yeah, I feel really bad for the FM'ers! They have had to watch a lot of cool action slip by without being able to take advantage of it (yet). Many have the right attitude, that the FM's as they are provide tons of quality sounds, but I can feel the tension from others in that camp. As some have said (unix guy included), FM9 is in private Beta so hopefully those users will be able to enjoy soon (proverbial soon)!

Yeah, I feel really bad for the FM'ers! They have had to watch a lot of cool action slip by without being able to take advantage of it (yet). Many have the right attitude, that the FM's as they are provide tons of quality sounds, but I can feel the tension from others in that camp. As some have said (unix guy included), FM9 is in private Beta so hopefully those users will be able to enjoy soon (proverbial soon)!

Not that I won't enjoy the new amps and maybe a little of the gapless switching, but there are multiple, tweakable versions of every single new amp in the last few firmwares already in the FM9 and FM3. I guarantee no one waiting has exhausted each and every one of the impedance curve, tonestack or tube choices for any of the amps already in there. FOMO is a mutha, man.....

Not that I won't enjoy the new amps and maybe a little of the gapless switching, but there are multiple, tweakable versions of every single new amp in the last few firmwares already in the FM9 and FM3. I guarantee no one waiting has exhausted each and every one of the impedance curve, tonestack or tube choices for any of the amps already in there. FOMO is a mutha, man.....

100%. I finally had to tell myself to stop trying to demo and tweak everything and just get on with playing, and that I’d eventually get around to everything. It may be a long time because the mileage you can get with just the Marshall and FAS models is crazy.

...FM owners didn't buy them to be on the bleeding edge of firmware updates.

This is certainly true in my case. I got the FM9 to have a more portable rig with a smaller financial footprint than my III/FC-12 rig when playing out. For my purposes the FM9 was fine as it was when I originally took delivery of it in November of 2019 and I haven't felt the need to update the firmware since unboxing it.

Gapless switching will be a welcome addition for live playing though so I'm looking forward to that and will do the update when it's available but the lack of it hasn't been a deal breaker. It's been easy enough to take into account the need for a pause when switching presets.

I'm looking forward to using the Dyna Cabs as well. When I do the update the noticeable improvements should make time invested in dialing it in all over again worthwhile but for me it's more of a chore than a "can't wait till it drops" kind of thing.

This is certainly true in my case. I got the FM9 to have a more portable rig with a smaller financial footprint than my III/FC-12 rig when playing out. For my purposes the FM9 was fine as it was when I originally took delivery of it in November of 2019 and I haven't felt the need to update the firmware since unboxing it.

Gapless switching will be a welcome addition for live playing though so I'm looking forward to that and will do the update when it's available but the lack of it hasn't been a deal breaker. It's been easy enough to take into account the need for a pause when switching presets.

I'm looking forward to using the Dyna Cabs as well. When I do the update the noticeable improvements should make time invested in dialing it in all over again worthwhile but for me it's more of a chore than a "can't wait till it drops" kind of thing.
Def worth, the Dynacabs is for me a big QoL improvement

Last edited:

Same. I don't really get excited by updates and in fact find them kind of a pain (though I appreciate the work + company ethic that goes into them and that others love it). The only Fractal beta update I ever jumped on was the one that improved the font size on the FM screen.

But I'm good with almost never updating a modeler.

(Which is why the QC is maybe perfect for me?) :sofa :rofl

Back