Fender Tone Master Pro: Episode IV - A New Hope

Well I used to buy new gear constantly every iteration released and chased new stuff. I grew tired of spending so much on gear in modeling and in synths.
So at the point I am now late to the game buying the newest flagship so to say… I feel on the cusp at helix is what 9 yrs old… we isn’t what’s been promised for years now.. bluampx is too much $ for a product too late to the game if it even is released 2024 yet? …fractal seems to release new gens sooner then line6 and likely are going to drop mk4 soon so would rather wait on it and same with the line6 flagship likely coming 2025… boss? Not my thing… Vox? Love the old tech but not impressed with their direction since the ad120vtx series…too bad as they were ahead of the pack with the valve reactor stuff…
So yea I could get the fm9 now but since no need as I have stuff I like I will just see.
The fender I tested before the big update recent and wasn’t wowed…too much wasted real estate in the screen and don’t trust fender. Headrush? Had the mx4 but sold as I think the company buys old stuff and rebrands it and doesn’t really advance their tones and effects in house and it shows .. I trust cliff and fractal to forge ahead as a company. The more and like stuff may be budget friendly and ok but throw your money at a few of those and it adds up to a better flagship.
So I get flamed a lot for not buyin shit but I guess am just more conservative with my money lately.
That sounds like a lot of FOMO. You don't want to buy something available now, because you expect a newfangled thing will be out in a year or two. That's fine, I'm in the same boat myself, but after having owned many of the units currently on the market. Realistically I could use any of them and be totally fine.

The reason I don't want to buy any of the current units on the market is that I don't like working with them, or the form factor is wrong for me as it needs to be a desktop friendly box. Only the QC hits that mark but doesn't satisfy in the sound department.

I'm actually looking forward to the BluGuitar Amp X because it's likely to be just more of what I already love with the Amp 1. I can't say at this point if sticking to my Amp 1 and replacing my pedalboard with a next gen modeler would be a better solution though, but I can always return it if I don't like it.

The cost to me is not a big factor if I think the product is really good and something I would use for years to come. The Amp X might seem expensive when compared to digital modelers, but also cheap compared to boutique tube amps.

That sounds like a lot of FOMO. You don't want to buy something available now, because you expect a newfangled thing will be out in a year or two. That's fine, I'm in the same boat myself, but after having owned many of the units currently on the market. Realistically I could use any of them and be totally fine.
Same here. Combined with other pedals, my Walrus ACS1 on the v2.0 firmware and new IRs would work perfectly fine for many, many uses. There are so many options out there. But you'll never completely optimize, at least not for long.

Like I said when it hits me right I will buy it. Some buy hyandai and love them and to others it’s just not right… not everyone thinks a Porsche 911 is great… or a Tesla… some love Subaru or a Prius. I mean you get what you gel with and what appeals to you with research you do and possible test drives. I will say the latest corvette is a winner from my test drives with mid engine finally and the slick looks but it’s too much car for me and a bit showy and 1 trick piney for me here in Colorado.
Until you have owned a LADA circa 1984 you have no reason to complain

The reason I don't want to buy any of the current units on the market is that I don't like working with them, or the form factor is wrong for me as it needs to be a desktop friendly box. Only the QC hits that mark but doesn't satisfy in the sound department.

I'm actually looking forward to the BluGuitar Amp X because it's likely to be just more of what I already love with the Amp 1. I can't say at this point if sticking to my Amp 1 and replacing my pedalboard with a next gen modeler would be a better solution though, but I can always return it if I don't like it.

The cost to me is not a big factor if I think the product is really good and something I would use for years to come. The Amp X might seem expensive when compared to digital modelers, but also cheap compared to boutique tube amps.
The part that concerned me about AmpX was one of the recent demos of High gain and Thomas said himself he was not happy with that aspect of the sound and that’s kind of where I live 75% of the time
So like a solid hot Rodded Marshall , Recto / 5150 /Bogner XTC / SLO would be important to me as well as some of the boutique class A stuff. /13 , DrZ / Matchless

The part that concerned me about AmpX was one of the recent demos of High gain and Thomas said himself he was not happy with that aspect of the sound and that’s kind of where I live 75% of the time
So like a solid hot Rodded Marshall , Recto / 5150 /Bogner XTC / SLO would be important to me as well as some of the boutique class A stuff. /13 , DrZ / Matchless
That just means he's looking to make it better until he is happy with it.

I like the high gain sounds I'm getting out of the Amp 1 Mercury Edition for the record.

Don’t talk cars with me you… you… you American engine fanatic! I’m Swedish damnit. We don’t buy cars for amusement or fun. We only buy a car if it has a full NCAP score in safe and environment test.

Unless we talk enthusiast cars… then we’ll happily import all (literally all there is) American cars from 1930-1970, and make our government agree to a deal that all cars older than 30 years should be free of car taxes because it’s an enthusiast hobby to own a American car and it doesn’t really impact the environment driving that around all summer with lead additive gas.

Sorry rant over. Back to modelers…

Attachments

• IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
Toe Muncher Pro inbound. Looking forward to the 5150....and maybe a drop test or two.

Last edited:

There's no less stickiness when you look at these "influencers" ties to NDSP/QC. All sorts of "paid promotion" movements are happening behind the scenes.

I think Fender has objectively improved the product since the last wave of YouTube influencer engagement, so I'm not dismissing his take on how it sounds NOW out of hand. He balances that by saying that the amp choices are still limited, which is also objectively true.

There's no less stickiness when you look at these "influencers" ties to NDSP/QC. All sorts of "paid promotion" movements are happening behind the scenes.

Ola has tried all of the modelers in a live context, so unless he is just alternating his pimp hand with every brand out there, I’d be inclined to think he still has a genuine interest in the gear.

I don’t think he is on the same level as someone like say Bea who has a clear and obvious financial incentive. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that either tbh)

Last edited:
Back