Classic Rack Gear Alert

Achilles

Rock Star
All three pieces look to be in great shape and the rack case is really cool.
Current price is awful high though.

1715103256388.png

Reverb Link

Fun little rig. I always liked the V Twin rack. It had a cool clean/dirty channel blend feature.

i always heard the 20/20 kinda sucked but never got to play one so yanno... grain of salt and all
A buddy if mine back in college has a quad pre into a 20/20. It sounded ok, but he was quick to buy my 50/50 from me when I upgraded my Triaxis to use a 2:90. We both greatly improved our tones that day.

I've got a Mesa Formula Pre I should sell, along with a Dumble style preamp from the infamous Shad Damron.

I should unload my Ethos and Zendrive too.

Alas I seem to be missing ambition.

A buddy if mine back in college has a quad pre into a 20/20. It sounded ok, but he was quick to buy my 50/50 from me when I upgraded my Triaxis to use a 2:90. We both greatly improved our tones that day.

The 20/20 power amp is really midrangey. Mesa EL84 amps tend to cook themselves because of overly high plate voltages as well.
I had one for a bit. I could never get the volume loud enough to maintain headroom. We had a cover band so versatility was important.
I wound up using a Rocktron Velocity 100 with my Tonlab SE.

I thought about a 50/50 but never could find a used one at a price I liked.

I had one for a bit. I could never get the volume loud enough to maintain headroom. We had a cover band so versatility was important.
I wound up using a Rocktron Velocity 100 with my Tonlab SE.

I thought about a 50/50 but never could find a used one at a price I liked.
The 50/50 would have done the trick. Big tubes are better tubes.

I have a Mesa 20/20 in the rack with my Axe FX 3, every once in a while I’ll take that rig to band rehearsal instead of the FM9. I have a pair of Mesa 1x12s that I keep at the other guitar player’s house where we rehearse, so it’s not a huge pain to deal with. For that application it is plenty loud with the Fractal output around noon and the Mesa outputs between 10:00-2:00. We play in his underground basement, so it doesn’t take much power at all to get uncomfortably loud.

I like the 20/20. If I’m correct there’s a lowcut (or shelf, not sure) in the design to get a little more volume out of the 20watts. I assume high gain peeps consider that “less sounding”.
It’s easily removed by the so called “deep mod”…which is clipping 1 cap per channel. Some put push/pulls at the presence spot to switch it in/out…basically…adding a deep switch.

I don’t use it much, but when I did…for my use the low end was fine (no chugga chugga).

Back