Crazy vs Sword?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Decided to get rid of my Fender Mustang GTX50 due to #reasons.

Kinda landed on getting a Boss Katana 100. The original, not the 2nd gen. And, one just happens to be for sale locally for a good price.

Recently, some really cool players here opened a new guitar shop called The Shred Den.

Finally got by there yesterday and played a pile of really cool guitars, including a Dean Zero Select Explorer, BC Rich Ironbird MKII, Jackson USA Custom Soloist, Jackson Kelly Ellis, Legion Carrion and a few others.

While all the guitars were killer, none of them made me feel like I couldn't live without 'em, so I left empty-handed. But, I got home and realized I was GASing for the amp I played through while there.

nI9w0U4.jpg

The EVH 5150 III Stealth.

I don't need it. It's overkill - can't imagine needing 3 channels since I don't use the 2nd one on my Mesa. I wouldn't likely turn the Stealth on before my Badlander that I don't fire up nearly enough.

But, I want it.

Then last night, a 6505+ Combo hit my for sale feed locally for a reasonable price.

So I woke up this morning wrestling with do I

A: go get the Katana 100
B: get the 6505+
C: get the Stealth, then sell it at a loss in 6 months when I realize I haven't turned it on since the day I got it. (Not really an option...)

The Boss is far more versatile and I loved my Katana 50, even though the Katana web interface is annoying to the nth degree. But, it doesn't do high gain as well as the 5150/6505 family of amps.

The 6505+ is not really versatile at all, but it does one thing and does that one thing very, very well. And it would scratch the Stealth itch.

This is the current weight of my world. I know, I know, you feel sorry for me... /s

:unsure:

Well, if you need versatility then Katana is a logical choice and it dont break the bank either
PS the catalyst is an option as well, from all accounts it does the brootz better than the Katana

I can't help with any amp insight, but I thank you for mentioning this shop! It's four hours away from me, I'll definitely visit when I can get to Minneapolis.
They do mail/online ordering. Great bunch of guys. Can't recommend them enough. But, yeah, you need to go there in person at some point. When you walk in, there're killer guitars all around you. Then they have a room off to the right with nothing but killer amps lining the walls. There's a couch, stool and guitar stand in that room so you can get comfortable and let er rip on whatever combination of guitar/amp ya want. Like Toys R Us for metal/punk/hard rock players.

They do mail/online ordering. Great bunch of guys. Can't recommend them enough. But, yeah, you need to go there in person at some point. When you walk in, there're killer guitars all around you. Then they have a room off to the right with nothing but killer amps lining the walls. There's a couch, stool and guitar stand in that room so you can get comfortable and let er rip on whatever combination of guitar/amp ya want. Like Toys R Us for metal/punk/hard rock players.

A store like that is long overdue.

Don't get me wrong; there's a lot great about the guitars we all know, but metalheads are usually treated as afterthoughts in guitar stores, with some cheap and unloved offerings in a sea of Strats and Les Pauls. Very cool to see.

You don't require "versatility". So Katana justification is a non-starter unless you have to have your effects built in to your amp. The Stealth is obviously in a completely different universe than either that Mustang or Katana turd. I am not saying you should go drop $1700 on a Stealth 100 head. Those 6505+ combos iirc have a hit or miss reputation and they look cheap.

Is there a purpose for this purchase? Or is it just GAS hitting you?

Is there a purpose for this purchase? Or is it just GAS hitting you?
Replacing the Fender GTX combo - which I like to have as a portable option - works great for learning songs one-on-one with my guitar player, etc.

Replacing the Fender GTX combo - which I like to have as a portable option - works great for learning songs one-on-one with my guitar player, etc.
Gotcha. Sounds like a bit of a sidetrack for this particular task at hand :grin :whistle :satan:love:rofl

Decided to get rid of my Fender Mustang GTX50 due to #reasons.

Kinda landed on getting a Boss Katana 100. The original, not the 2nd gen. And, one just happens to be for sale locally for a good price.

Recently, some really cool players here opened a new guitar shop called The Shred Den.

Finally got by there yesterday and played a pile of really cool guitars, including a Dean Zero Select Explorer, BC Rich Ironbird MKII, Jackson USA Custom Soloist, Jackson Kelly Ellis, Legion Carrion and a few others.

While all the guitars were killer, none of them made me feel like I couldn't live without 'em, so I left empty-handed. But, I got home and realized I was GASing for the amp I played through while there.

nI9w0U4.jpg

The EVH 5150 III Stealth.

I don't need it. It's overkill - can't imagine needing 3 channels since I don't use the 2nd one on my Mesa. I wouldn't likely turn the Stealth on before my Badlander that I don't fire up nearly enough.

But, I want it.

Then last night, a 6505+ Combo hit my for sale feed locally for a reasonable price.

So I woke up this morning wrestling with do I

A: go get the Katana 100
B: get the 6505+
C: get the Stealth, then sell it at a loss in 6 months when I realize I haven't turned it on since the day I got it. (Not really an option...)

The Boss is far more versatile and I loved my Katana 50, even though the Katana web interface is annoying to the nth degree. But, it doesn't do high gain as well as the 5150/6505 family of amps.

The 6505+ is not really versatile at all, but it does one thing and does that one thing very, very well. And it would scratch the Stealth itch.

This is the current weight of my world. I know, I know, you feel sorry for me... /s

:unsure:

I suggest going back to bed until it passes. :rofl

Back