Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Did the Guitar pitch to midi out improve? I've found in previous units like the VG99 and SY1000 its actually gotten worse since 1990s GR50 midi out.
Have not tried the GR-50, I saw one the other day in a used musical equipment shop for quite cheap, but was not compelled to buy a 35 year old bit of tech gear from 1989.
Things have moved on and improved in that time, the GR-33 was good, also had the GR-20, GR-30, GP-10, and still have VG-99, GR-55, SY-1000.
The GM-800 has a better edge on those for tracking accuracy, not tried the guitar to mid on the GM-800 as there has been no need to since the GM has the Zen Core engine which contains every synth type Roland has made, including the L.A. synth from the GR-50 and the D series synths, and if the synth model or wavetable is not there, you can load up new ones with expansion packs.

SY and GP-10 were both far superior for pitch to MIDI than any previous Roland unit I had.
The SY1000 is known to have poor guitar P2M tracking. That's not just my opinion but also the opinion of many experienced users on vguitarforums.
The GM-800 has a better edge on those for tracking accuracy, not tried the guitar to mid on the GM-800 as there has been no need to since the GM has the Zen Core engine which contains every synth type Roland has made, including the L.A. synth from the GR-50 and the D series synths, and if the synth model or wavetable is not there, you can load up new ones with expansion packs.
I would like to have improved guitar P2M ( flawless) but haven't heard good things about the GM800 in that reguards and was wondering if you had a chance to test it.

My interest is with midi guitar triggering of a bunch of analog synths and assorted PCM based Rompers that I own. The internal sounds in the GR50 trigger well but never really sounded that great.

Here's the thing. If you're complaining that a piece of gear hasn't worked for 25 years to accurately turn your guitar into an accordion; you probably could have just buckled down and learned the GD accordion in the time you spent complaining for decades.

In similar fashion; I read elsewhere on someone complaining there was a bug in Midi Guitar2 where it wouldn't translate a flat-sus-minor9th-suspended flat 12th-wtfever chord. Here's an idea. Just understand what you're doing is not the norm and accept the limitations that get you as close as possible in turning a strat into a pipe organ.

Here's the thing. If you're complaining that a piece of gear hasn't worked for 25 years to accurately turn your guitar into an accordion; you probably could have just buckled down and learned the GD accordion in the time you spent complaining for decades.

In similar fashion; I read elsewhere on someone complaining there was a bug in Midi Guitar2 where it wouldn't translate a flat-sus-minor9th-suspended flat 12th-wtfever chord. Here's an idea. Just understand what you're doing is not the norm and accept the limitations that get you as close as possible in turning a strat into a pipe organ.

Maybe just play a MIDI accordion with some guitar samples. At least that Absusm9 chord would come out ok.

images

Are you “Chrish”? If so, that would explain a lot.

It’s not glaringly black and white. Surprise surprise, Elantric prefers the Fishman. Again, he’s a smart guy. It’s still an opinion though. Others work fine with it because they know what they’re doing, like Gumtown, Brock, some other guys over there, etc
Nice personal attack while kissing others ass for likes.
So needy.

Gumtown was clear that he has NOT tried the GM800 P2M.

I guess you can't accept that 35 year old tech still works (mostly) for some of us. But hey, you're the expert.

That wasn't a personal attack.
It most certainly was. Get your head out of your own ass and you will see that's your MO here. You might also see who's kissing it.
Here's the thing. If you're complaining that a piece of gear hasn't worked for 25 years to accurately turn your guitar into an accordion;
That's not what I want to do. And didn't you write the book about complaining about Rooooollaaaand? 😉

I just want to know before investing well over $1000 on what appears to be another Roland repackage job, if it actually works as advertised. No music stores that carry the the GM800 within 230 Miles, one way, form where I live. So I have to ask questions and read information from trusted sources and hopefully the shills, fanboys, and pro-madonna's keep their shilling to themselves.

One experienced user at V says he has gotten, I believe he said, acceptable results with the GM 800 pitch to midi. Acceptable doesn't sound any better than then the acceptable tracking on a lot of Roland products.

So JT, in your experience, how is the GM800 P2M?

It most certainly was. Get your head out of your own ass and you will see that's your MO here. You might also see who's kissing it.

That's not what I want to do. And didn't you write the book about complaining about Rooooollaaaand? 😉

I just want to know before investing well over $1000 on what appears to be another Roland repackage job, if it actually works as advertised. No music stores that carry the the GM800 within 230 Miles, one way, form where I live. So I have to ask questions and read information from trusted sources and hopefully the shills, fanboys, and pro-madonna's keep their shilling to themselves.

One experienced user at V says he has gotten, I believe he said, acceptable results with the GM 800 pitch to midi. Acceptable doesn't sound any better than then the acceptable tracking on a lot of Roland products.

So JT, in your experience, how is the GM800 P2M?
I don't use P2M. No reason to. The features that I do use the GM for vs. GR55 previously it is about wash. It is world's better as far as form factor and preset switching goes. That is a big thing for me.

If you want to know if it is or isn't an improvement; you are probably going to have to bite that bullet. Which is made a bit more cumbersom because you will need to buy the GK converter which will give you maybe a inaccurate assumption of how well (or not) P2M is on the GM.

Allow me to bridge a gap. Boss/Roland, Fishman and MG are all we have in this uber-specific niche of gear. If you don't at least try it; you won't know. That's what these new age store policies are all about. Try and return if you don't like it. Expecting Boss/Roland (especially) to innovate on a grand level is a recipe for disappointment if there ever was one. I gave up that ranting crusade long ago because it just wasn't worth it.

And everyone is batching about the price of the GM-800.
Lets see, $750 for the GM800 or $1040 bundled with the GK5 and cable, then add $200 for the converter box if you want to run older 13 pin gear. Now if you want to add their best feature you have to spend another $500 on the Zen core software. So $1740 for a product that has questionable tracking results for guitar players who have not yet adapted their technique to accommodate these repackaged flaws.

Lets see, $750 for the GM800 or $1040 bundled with the GK5 and cable, then add $200 for the converter box if you want to run older 13 pin gear. Now if you want to add their best feature you have to spend another $500 on the Zen core software. So $1740 for a product that has questionable tracking results for guitar players who have not yet adapted their technique to accommodate these repackaged flaws.

Dude, just play the accordion then ;)

Back