Boss GM-800 and GK-5

But shills gotta shill, so yea spend your money on the same old thing.

This is the second time you called me a shill. You really don't understand the definition of the word.

shill /shĭl/

noun​

1. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
  2. A person paid to endorse a product favorably, while pretending to be impartial.

This is the second time you called me a shill. You really don't understand the definition of the word.
Nope, wasn't directed at you. Remember I said shills defend their product shilling by using derogatory language against those who are critical of that product. You haven't done that but we know who is constantly doing that here with an added touch of harassment and straw man building.

Most of your YouTube vids that I've seen are instructional.

A GM-800 review from another site

Sounds like they agree it’s a cool device, and works well with external modules.
:clint:popcorn

Sure is, I find that with the GM-800, I spend less time talking about it, and more time actually using it instead.
I was going to do a latency test last weekend, but ended up making new sounds.
Still amazed at the technology inside this thing,
if you want FM synth, it has actual FM synth tone operators.
I you want analog subtractive synths, it has waveform generators and filters.
You want more PCM waveforms, download and install expansion packs.

I recommend the
EXZ-006 World Instruments
and
EXZ-005 Studio
ZenCore expansion packs,

and
"SDZ-062 Communication Bass"
plus
"SDZ-072 Gothic Choirs"
sound packs.

Good stuff !!!

Last edited:
Here is what is in the World Instruments expansion pack (attached)

EXZ006_World.png

Attachments

• EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-01.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-01.png
    362.5 KB · Views: 9
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-02.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-02.png
    327 KB · Views: 9
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-03.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-03.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 8
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-04.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-04.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 8
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-05.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-05.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 6
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-06.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-06.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 6
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-07.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-07.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 6
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-08.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-08.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 6
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-09.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-09.png
    304.5 KB · Views: 6
and the other remaining 5 pages of the World Instruments expansion pack list.

Attachments

• EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-10.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-10.png
    308 KB · Views: 6
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-11.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-11.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 8
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-12.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-12.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 7
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-13.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-13.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 8
  • EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-14.png
    EXZ006_SoundList_multi01_W-14.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
A GM-800 review from another site
"Connecting the MIDI output directly to my Roland JV-1080 synth resulted in no perceptible difference in tracking from the GM’s internal synth."

This is kind of a big deal, and not at all what I would have expected based on other recent Boss/Roland guitar synth products. Do the GM800 owners here agree with this statement?

Of course the main takeaway from reading that review was... now I want a JamStick Classic Strat. (Sort of. Jam Origin is paid for LOL.)

I agree with it in the context of P2M to a softsynth; I didn't have a hardware synth on hand to try.
Great news. And I can't see any reason GM to softsynth performance would differ from GM to hardware synth, unless something were wrong with one target synth or the other. So, also good news. :)

GM-800 review from another site
I think this quote says it all. "Compared well" is the same as previous Roland Guitar synths after years of adjusting and adapting your guitar technique.

"Tracking compared well with my Jamstik Classic MIDI guitar, albeit without Jamstik’s forward-thinking implementation of MPE, a recently-adopted addition to MIDI that allows modulation of individual notes rather than all notes. "

And here is a good video on Midi guitar 2 and on how to adapt and adjust settings for best results.

If we are cherry picking statements from someone else's review, then ..

From the MIDI controller standpoint, tracking was exceedingly agile and clean, a marked improvement over previous units.

The GM-800 handled my Roland JV-1080 synth as well as its internal sounds, plus a raft of third-party software instruments.

Roland/Boss touts the GM-800s greatly-improved tracking while keeping the details close to the vest.

a discussion with a Roland technician revealed a pitch extraction system that parsed string transients, rather than waiting for several cycles and relative string stability, as earlier pitch-to-MIDI converters did
That last statement indicates Roland have copied the AXON's pitch detection process (since the patent on that process has now expired).

If we are cherry picking statements from someone else's review, then .
You own one, so how is the P2M tracking?

I asked you a long time ago, before the shill started his attacks on a different target long before I became involved in this thread. Hmmm.... Maybe I was able to draw fire away from another member and put myself in that line of attack. Na. I wouldn't do that, would I? Lol

That's not shilling. That's being critical of someone being critical of a product they've got no first-hand experience with, which is unfortunately a problem very common on Internet forums.

Again, no one here is on BOSS payroll, pretending to be a satisfied customer. We've just actually used the product in question.
You've criticized him for trusting what he read on a different forum - posts from from people who own the device - and yet you expect him to trust your opinion on a forum and you find his disagreement offensive. I find this very ironic in the room.

No, I don’t expect him to trust my opinion. Not at all. I’m critical of him because instead of trying it himself, which is incredibly easy to do, he insists on continuing to criticize a device he’s got no firsthand experience with.
If he said “I’ve used it, and it’s no better than my Reagan-era synth”, I would disagree with him, but that’s that.
Oh no, he criticised an object ... :rofl

The point is "try it yourself" is simply idiotic in a world where reviews and user forums exist. And it's perfectly normal to be skeptic. And it's expected to be able to infer from past products, from opinions, from reviews, from tech details whether the product is ok for you or not.

it’s fascinating you think someone can be continually critical of something and make authoritative claims without actually having any firsthand experience, and consider that normal.
No one said you can’t make buying decisions based on what you read. That’s not remotely the obnoxious part.
Of course you can be critical of something without buying! That's normal and accepted. Only soft, emotional people get upset over that ...

It is a fair bit of work to give this tech a go. If you are well versed in it and have a pile of guitars with double sided tape residue (or worse) a bunch of screw holes from GK2 and 3 mountings; it makes sense to give everything a go in this space.
Here I Am Mirror GIF by Jeopardy!

If only to see it ends up disappointing you? There's so little in this space that it seems a bit short sighted to really take anyone's word for it if you are curious enough. If not; just stick with the old standard that works for you.

Back