Boss GM-800 and GK-5

Yes, I got that from your first answer where you said "no".

The reason that I not buying a GM800 is based upon opinions posted on vguitarforums from trusted sources. There is simply nothing new since the GR50 in tracking results from a long line of these Roland romper product releases.

The technology to model acoustic instruments is out there, but Roland chose to use repackage the same old 1989 midi triggered PCM sample snippets.

Every time Roland released a new GR guitar synth, I've heard the same line from some enthusiasts that's it's better than the last. But then folks new to these types of guitar Synths, who haven't adapted their guitar technique to accommodate these sample players, from years and years of practice, come online for help to reduce tracking errors or just put up with it.

The point is, we don't have to put up with it, DSP modeling of acoustic instruments exists now. Why won't Roland use it like they did when they pioneered modeling analog synthesizers, amps, pickup position, speakers, various guitars, and bass guitars etc?

Answer; because apparently there is still a market for Guitar synth rompers.
So vote with your wallet (as they say) for the companies who are innovating and putting out these products. Oh wait; there are none. That's the problem in a nutshell. And leaving anything up to Boss to really smash boundaries/break barriers/innovate instead of their historic "repackage re-release pretend like the customer base doesn't exist after the sale" is a cruel exercise in self-punishment. Ask me how I know. It is what it is and that's it. No; I don't work for Boss. Thank god.

Oh wait; there are none. That's the problem in a nutshell.

Exactly. And it's quite sad.
Line 6 seems to be losing interest in developing their Variaxes, too, so there's little hope they might at least try out the Guitar-to-MIDI waters.
So if you want GTM (or anything else requiring hex pickup operation), there's pretty much no other relevant player but Boss.

The 33 is great if you don't want to reverse your GK pickup
The 55 is great if you focus on the PCM stuff and process your normal guitar chain outside of the box
The SY1000 is great if you want to keep everything in the box and don't need PCM. Fidelity is much improved
The GM is great because of the form factor and improved fidelity. It's not as great if you are expecting guitar and amp modeling and alt tuning capabilty

I'd still use any of these every day of the week over the few alternative options for live performance purposes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Axon is the predecessor to the Fishman TriplePlay. Same guy. Except that it took the GK pickup, and was a rack mount box.

Yesssss! It actually has a hardware synth box instead of a shitty footswitch I don't want and the requirement that I tether it to some IOS turd that failed in the first song like the one and only time I used an FTP live (sorry I know you like your Apple and that's cool) :beer

What is that other guitar synth that was out for a bit? I want to say Axion(?)

It was the Blue Chip Axon. Local musicstore borrowed me one for a brief testride, had some promising features (way better MIDI filters, sensivity control and what not than the Roland stuff), and unlike most others, they even made their own hex pickup. Tracking was quite great (better than Roland, which pretty much everyone admitted). No idea why the company went down.

Whoops-Edit, paisleywookiee beat me to it.

It was the Blue Chip Axon. Local musicstore borrowed me one for a brief testride, had some promising features (way better MIDI filters, sensivity control and what not than the Roland stuff), and unlike most others, they even made their own hex pickup. Tracking was quite great (better than Roland, which pretty much everyone admitted). No idea why the company went down.

Whoops-Edit, paisleywookiee beat me to it.
I really wish I could have tried one of these when they were out.

I forgot they came out with these:

scared tim burton GIF by O&O, Inc
Robust cable!

So vote with your wallet (as they say) for the companies who are innovating and putting out these products.
That's what I'm doing by not buying whatever repackaged romper Roland is selling.
Oh wait; there are none.
My understanding is that DSP modeling of acoustic instruments with a guitar is now available in software.
It most definitely has gotten better since 1990 or whenever the GR-50 came out.
My GR50 tracks just fine, not perfect and from reading opinions from trusted sources neither is the GM 800. The gr50 pitch to MIDI to external synthesizers works way better than the vg99 and the sy1000 both of which I have tried and kept the sy. I also use one of two GR300 where I generally combine the synthesizer attack sounds of the sy or GR300 with a whole lot of analog synthesizers, or just run the analog GR300 through other analog filters.

With the external pitch to midi of the gr50 I now have access to a things such as 8 MB borgendorfer piano sample, mellotron samples etc from an emu ESI32 sampler. The sample snippets just don't cut it.

And for analog synthesizers why not just use real analog synthesizers as opposed to a sample analog wave snippet through a digital filter.

Here are some quotes from vgf

"As an FTP user, the GM-800 feels sluggish. The FTP is still by far the best in terms of stable and fast tracking. It's no contest. I can't recommend the GM-800, but don't take my word for it—-you should check it out to see if you like it."

"IF GUITAR TO MIDI is your only need - look at other gear
( send your GM-800 back and enjoy alternatives )
But no Guitar to MIDI SYSTEM or Roland GR , or Boss GM-800 - even the wired fret Systems can replace the play experience I accomplish with VG-99 VGuitar System."

"With my current band, guitar synths have not been a priority. And for my playing style my GR-33 still tracks with far less random false triggers, and more reliably vs my GM-800"

"I've gone through many tests now, and I realize I could be wrong, but I truly believe the Roland GR-33 is better for me. I went back and forth, and the GR-33 keeps responding better and actually sounding more musical for what I do. I REALLY want to like the GM-800, but I just can't."

From a guy who did a yt demo.
"You mean from the glitches? Like when you fret and it triggers a note before you pick the note? That's a function of the pickup doing its job and passing on what it hears to the synth. The cleaner and more precise you play, the less artifacts like that you will encounter. Harmonics, fret buzz, odd muting, etc will all cause these glitches. Heck, even a bad/cheap cable does it. I have a short on my channel I posted last week where I am just banging the hell out of my bass and I only heard a couple of these glitches. I THOUGHT maybe this system is more forgiving, but probably not, maybe I was just being more careful?"

The same old tiring and cliche "opinions are like assholes and everyone has one".

"Trusted sources" don't mean crap compared to at least trying it yourself, that is the only real opinion that will matter in the end.

A lot of so called "trusted sources" don't know crap either.

Let us know when you can form an opinion on actual experience
I am forming opinion from actual experience since I purchased two Roland gr50s in the 90s, Roland VG8, VG99, SY300, SY1000. DSP modeling from a guitar string works way better as far as latency and tracking errors.

Can you say that you've never experienced a ghost note or mistrigger from your GM 800? All that I'm hearing is that it's improved from people who've already adjusted their technique from years of experience dealing with guitar pitch to midi flaws.

Here's that modeling software using old tech Roland P2M.

For internal pitch sounds? Extremely little, ..
That's exactly my experience with the Roland GR50, with focused technique, for both the internal sounds (which I don't use much) using GK pups and external midi triggered synths using a Wilcox Atlantis hex FX guitar.

That Roland GI20 is old tech, but many people thought it had very good P2M tracking, most likely because it had the same tech as the GR50.

I focus on external P2M because triggering real analog Synths is a gas. For example, trigger a Korg Arp 2600M while also triggering a polyphonic ARP2600 sample loaded into the emu ESI32. The mixing of the two can remove some of the static feel that are inherent with using samples. Plus sample waveforms can be run through analog synths, filters, envelope etc that open up modulation possibilities.

I really wish I could have tried one of these when they were out.

I don't think you've missed that much. After trying the Axon out I went for a GI-10 (which I still own), as I couldn't justify spending that much more money for something only "somewhat" better (noticeably, yes, turning guitar-to-MIDI into an all around joyful event, no).

But the focus is on the internal engine.

Which is not all *that* different from triggering external MIDI sounds. Most likely the main advance being that internal sounds are being treated as a multitimbral expander, so each string is using its own (MIDI, or kinda...) channel, which allows for vastly more effective garbage filtering, hence tracking. That's making up for a whole lot of a difference already and most people triggering synths via MIDI don't bother setting up multitimbral sound modules.

Had the GM-800 +GKC-AD for a week now, paired with my SY-1000, and OMG this smokes any previous Roland PCM rompler synth.
The tracking is rock solid, and you can load in new wavetable type expansion packs.
The GM-800 does everything the GR-55 should have been, I also run a DIY midi note foot controller into the GM-800 midi input, so I can also play with my feet.
Paired up with the modeling features of the SY-1000, on both units I can set specific fret positions where I want a particular sound to trigger at.
Very impressed I am.

Back