Anybody else getting sick of modellers?

@spawnofthesith it would be interesting to see if that's more of an adjustment that needs to be done one time (or something you apply to all your patches), vs an issue with the modeler or preferred workflow. In other words, you may find that after some trial and error and learnings it works great going forward, or if there's just a fundamental issue.

Question - were you running direct or through the same playback system? Another idea would be to run the modeler through the power amp return of the amp into a cab and get that similar to the real amp, then you know it's likely either an IR or PA issue.

@spawnofthesith it would be interesting to see if that's more of an adjustment that needs to be done one time (or something you apply to all your patches), vs an issue with the modeler or preferred workflow. In other words, you may find that after some trial and error and learnings it works great going forward, or if there's just a fundamental issue.

Question - were you running direct or through the same playback system? Another idea would be to run the modeler through the power amp return of the amp into a cab and get that similar to the real amp, then you know it's likely either an IR or PA issue.

QC and then later when I went direct with HX direct into our mixer and we use IEMs, for the real amp miced up into the mixer as well so relatively fair comparison

HX stomp amp models into tube power amp through mic'ed up cab sounds cool, waaaaaay better than running direct

Season 2 Drama GIF by Hightown

Although JT was having a very similar issue (even with fractal) until he switched to a real cab. Are you using ""FRFR"" or a cab?

Just direct with the modellers, there's some mains in the room but we use our IEMs at practice so kind of moot

As I noted, the stomp does indeed sounds cool going into the power section of my amp into a real cab and mic'ed up lol

You can’t tell a difference in a controlled blind test!

Until you’re in a live scenario with people handing you your ass with a power amp and cab.

#chooselife
#choosecabs
The thing you find (or at least I did); is you start replacing each and every piece back with their analog counterpart and you are where you need to be.

steve martin film GIF

edited for @mbenigni feeling seen

Last edited:
I am definitely not "sick" of modelers. I am sick of IEMs, but stage volume is always an issue, so I just put up with it. That being said, I try to use both real amps AND my Kemper - not at the same time. Usually, the venue is the deciding factor. And outdoor gigs will always have me bringing a real amp. Those gigs are the only place I feel like I can get closer to opening up the amp and let it breathe. However, I recently acquired a Soldano Astro, and for the moment, I am totally hooked on that amp. I've played a few gigs with it and have been super impressed. At the same time, I did kind of miss being able to swap between different amps. I was able to get what I needed with the Astro, but that amp can not sound like a Vox no matter where I twist the knobs. Nor can it sound like a 63 Fender Super Reverb. But what it CAN do is absolutely amazing. At some point I will vacate the honeymoon phase and do plenty of gigs with my Kemper. But for now....no, not sick of it, but really enjoying the other side of things.

Today I've tried the Nano Córtex in the studio. Not a rehearsal, nor a gig, but still... Good volume jamming with my buddy. He playing through a Triaxis. Me with the NC through the return of a Boogie Studio22+. I used several preamp captures, of a Mark II, Triaxis and the Studio22+ itself.

It sounded glorious. From the first strumming. No tweaking at all. I just wasn't able to distinguish it from the real amp. And pumping up the volume was just perfect too. And the transpose... Wow... Awesome.

I'm a modeller lover... But each day I'm more "IR+"FRFR"" hater instead. I think it sounds perfect for the audience, sure. But for moderate to high volume on stage, the feeling is just way better with a real cab (doesn't matter if it's a modeller or a real amp what you're amplifying through it).

I'm a modeller lover... But each day I'm more "IR+""FRFR""" hater instead. I think it sounds perfect for the audience, sure. But for moderate to high volume on stage, the feeling is just way better with a real cab (doesn't matter if it's a modeller or a real amp what you're amplifying through it).
Digital preamps into tube power amps is such a great way to go. I always considered myself a bit ahead of the curve on that one as I was playing Rocktron preamps into Mesa power amps back in the late 90s before modeling took off. Bands need to jam and feed off each other, and pushing air with real speakers and real drums is the best.

Digital preamps into tube power amps is such a great way to go. I always considered myself a bit ahead of the curve on that one as I was playing Rocktron preamps into Mesa power amps back in the late 90s before modeling took off. Bands need to jam and feed off each other, and pushing air with real speakers and real drums is the best.
Now I have to figure out how the same captures sound with my 50W SS Fender, with a Celestion midnight. At home it's glorious too... Let's see how it delivers a good volumes.

Since a couple of months I’m running captures of preamps of amps I own …into returns of amps. (The captured one included)
What’s nice about that is that you can really compare apples to apples…and putting the preamp sections in the a digital box is set in stone for me going forward.
Can’t hear any difference between real/digital, weeeee bit more natural then running full models, and I can use “my sound” into any amp with a return I run into…or take with me cause the size fits the bill.

Back