Kemper Power rack.

Eagle

Shredder
Well I haven't tinkered with a Kemper for many years and I got the opportunity to pick up a basically unused one for cheap and the stuff I hear out of them recently seems to be a lot better than it was. Actually really good so hopefully this will be my experience . The final thing that made me want to try it again was Mark Knopfler did his last tour with one entirely and he sounded amazing. I know he and his tech spent a long time in the studio making the profiles . I should ask him if he will let me have one or two. I am a Axe 3 for digital user atm. I also a a DV multi amp which is actually as good or better for some sounds. QC I hate the form factor and Helix just sounds brash and fake imo. A good digital rig is actually the most practical these days for me because I rarely get chance to get out the full WDW Deizel VH4 rig and get it up to volume.
So Kemper users out there what is your experience ? does all the new firmware make up for the old hardware ? I have used and owned many old digital pieces that still are valid. TC2290, PCM 42, SDE3000, H3000, PCM91 to name a few, all still world class tone even if the interfaces suck and the change lag is insanely bad.

Oh I didn't say that the wet side of my Diezel rig is based around the Axe 3 and uses my FR FR speakers for wet sounds. Sound incredible but takes up a lot of space weighs a ton and is a loud as hell with a megaphone. You can turn it down but that's hardly the point.:rofl

Im into transition to QC atm cause of its formfactor…so have at least good eye on how kpa compares to that.
If it had been in the stars that I always play a SS powersection…I would not have changed to QC, and would have remained on the KPA platform…reality is I appriciate something that fits my gigbag…1st world problem that needed fixing ;)

The sounds are simply there in the KPA, both amps as well as efx…nothing dated about that. Compared to the QC efx…Kemper has those for breakfast with one arm tied to the back.

To me, a lot of what people call old fashioned about kemper, is actually a design choice..that keeps it simple, monkey proof and allows a lot of global functionality that makes your life easier. The biggest price you pay…imho…is that you don’t get to work with “scenes”. Besides some grouping of stomps under a switch, you either define what you need in a preset/rig..or you step on stomps. Other units allow switching an amp while keeping all surrounding it the same. With kemper…you can kinda do that with the “locking” of slots.

Left or right…you can become an arena gigging rockgod with the KPA, and the powered version is Offcourse super practical. Do check the KONE speakers you can drop into existing cabs. In fullrange mode, they work excellent for acoustics!

I have had my Kemper Stage for about 3 and a half years. I feel like I got in at the right time. The Stage has the most updated hardware since it is the newest design, outside of the new player. The updates they have rolled out in the time I have been using it have been very good. It is the digital unit that really does sound and feel the closest to my amps.

Profiling your own amps is really where it shines. You can find a ton of profiles out there. I have only purchased one set of profiles and that was because it was an amp that I wanted but couldn't find in stock anywhere at that time. I finally found one and the profiles I had purchased really match the real amp well so I didn't feel the need to reshoot them.

I did however make profiles of the other amp I had been gigging with for a good while. They came out really good. I ran the Kemper through a powered PA speaker in my room setting next to the amp and was switching between them with them setting behind me and I couldn't tell the difference between them.

For me the Stage also worked because I wanted an all in one unit instead of having to haul around the Kemper and the foot controller. I am very happy with the choice I made. I have an early FM9 as well. I use these units in different scenarios. The Kemper has the feel of the real amp, although the FM9 is getting closer to that and the new firmware that is in development may close that gap even further. The Kemper just felt right from day one. The Kemper effects IMHO are as good as the Fractal effects. The difference is the Fractal has some effects that the Kemper doesn't have. I don't use those very often but it is nice to have them when I want something different.

When I last tried the Kemper it was early days and I didn't make the profiles .I was never happy with it but over the years with firmware it seems to be a lot better . I like a simple rig in terms of FX but the FX I use must be to my liking.

When I last tried the Kemper it was early days and I didn't make the profiles .I was never happy with it but over the years with firmware it seems to be a lot better . I like a simple rig in terms of FX but the FX I use must be to my liking.
The profiling / amp sounds has not changed.
Some say the unit sounds better today cause of liquid profiling…I don’t see any rational reason why that would be the case tbh..isn’t necessary either…profiling works, or it doesnt…afaic it does ;)

Interesting; I loved the Kemper the very first time I tried one (we profiled a JCM800 halfstack with just a single sm57 and it kinda blew my mind how good it came out)

I owned a DV Mark Multiamp for about a week before returning it though to be fair is was right when they came out so maybe they've improved things by now

Interesting; I loved the Kemper the very first time I tried one (we profiled a JCM800 halfstack with just a single sm57 and it kinda blew my mind how good it came out)

I owned a DV Mark Multiamp for about a week before returning it though to be fair is was right when they came out so maybe they've improved things by now
Software improvements were good. It’s limited in fx like the Kpa but core sounds are excellent.

Kemper has always been great. Newer (free fw updates) drive/fuzz/dly/rev have made things that used to take a bit more creativity a bit easier. It’s nice. Many of us have always loved the interface, and its limitations or design decisions or novel implementations—that has all fostered music-making, not hindered it.

OP may find it just as frustrating as ever, but it’s world-class tones, like always. A wet dry rig using axe for effects and a tube amp, that’s obviously cool too. And there are smaller amps.

As far as the small new box, I wish Kemper had made something with zero compromises beyond size/in-out limitations, and I would’ve paid basically the same amount for that as for the bigger boxes. That isn’t what has happened, but I think they’re going to develop that line further, so maybe in the future.

As far as powered head versus powered rack, I’ve owned both and like the head interface more for studio desk and local shows. But if there really is a case for a rack or a case for housing other components, the power rack is a great choice.

And again, a single rack case with the Kemper and the axe 3—OP wouldn’t be the first dude rocking that and I can’t see anything wrong with it.

When I last tried the Kemper it was early days and I didn't make the profiles .I was never happy with it but over the years with firmware it seems to be a lot better .

The basic profiling has not changed over the years, but that stability is one of the selling points of the Kemper.

I have had it three times and just always get annoyed or frustrated that I can’t tweak as easily as a modeler. Tones will sound great then I hear it in a mix and it’s completely lost. Or trying to dial in effects will be a pain in the butt.

Personally I think they could do a new gen hardware with the same profile tech, start with current effects before beefing those up a bit, but with more power and a better interface.

I have had it three times and just always get annoyed or frustrated that I can’t tweak as easily as a modeler. Tones will sound great then I hear it in a mix and it’s completely lost. Or trying to dial in effects will be a pain in the butt.

Personally I think they could do a new gen hardware with the same profile tech, start with current effects before beefing those up a bit, but with more power and a better interface.
I hear it on stage with world class artists quite often and it certainly is not lost. The Mark Knopfler tones were amazing. I don’t know how the interface could be simpler either . I have an Axe3 as well and people complain about the interface on that too . I don’t know why because it would be practically impossible to get around the parameters it has more easily. They both have good computer interface solutions and iOS for Kemper. Kemper also sounds great if the profile is good and the liquid functionality is present. Both units are a world better than at launch of the hardware.

I’m thinking things like scrolling through presets or effects lists, more flexible routing, just a more modern interface. The current one has its charms but it could definitely be a lot easier to get around in. I also had a ton of stability and connection issues with the computer editor even across multiple devices and computers.

One thing that would have been fun to try would be the Kemper Kone. Curious how well that would have worked and how much easier it would be to adjust a profile to your preferences.

Still a great achievement for the Kemper to still be relevant well past a decade after launch.

I’m thinking things like scrolling through presets or effects lists, more flexible routing, just a more modern interface. The current one has its charms but it could definitely be a lot easier to get around in. I also had a ton of stability and connection issues with the computer editor even across multiple devices and computers.

One thing that would have been fun to try would be the Kemper Kone. Curious how well that would have worked and how much easier it would be to adjust a profile to your preferences.

Still a great achievement for the Kemper to still be relevant well past a decade after launch.
The key is it still sounds good. Go try programming a PCM lexicon like a 91 . 😵‍💫

Getting used to the firmware and the new features. I think the computer interface for settings is good but the whole rig manager part could be a lot better. Still they could fix it with updates easily. The presets should be updated and the random nature of the rig exchange should be fixed too . This said I enjoy the playing experience and it still holds up . I need to try it with a bunch of other cabs because in to my f12x200 equipped Xitone (passive) I feel the need to roll off the high . What do you guys use?

Getting used to the firmware and the new features. I think the computer interface for settings is good but the whole rig manager part could be a lot better. Still they could fix it with updates easily. The presets should be updated and the random nature of the rig exchange should be fixed too . This said I enjoy the playing experience and it still holds up . I need to try it with a bunch of other cabs because in to my f12x200 equipped Xitone (passive) I feel the need to roll off the high . What do you guys use?
I bought a couple of IR packs from York Audio and paired them up with direct profiles and it sounds really good with those. If you are not finding cabs you like maybe try some of the York stuff. I bought two or three packs on a black Friday sale a couple of years ago.

Is this something you’re interested in more out of curiosity, or are you not quite getting what you want out of the Axe-3?

D

Curiosity and a great deal.

Funny thing, I’ve had access to an unused Kemper for months. I keep thinking I should take it home and see how it compares to Helix and FM9, but I can’t find the time to actually get it done. My FM9 to-do list is probably longer than what I’ll get done this year already, so I probably won’t touch the Kemper.

I’m curious to see what you find if you pick it up. I keep thinking that profiles aren’t going to be my thing that I’d rather just adjust normal amp parameters when I want something different. Plus, I’m just so happy with the FM9 I can’t think of what would talk me into making a rig change for my direct solution.

Still, I’m curious about what it’s like.

fomo GIF

Back