Amp Modeler Tier Ranking

1700879038276.gif

Fwiw, in general, I'm wondering whether capturing in itself will one day become obsolete.

The top tier modelers are already covering sooo much tonal ground that pretty much everybody should find a suitable amp for pretty much any situation. And by now even the cheaper range of modelers is massively catching up in terms of quality and quantity.
Obviously, the main advance of component modeling being that the model is in fact acting like a real amp, something just not possible with capturing (as has been discussed ad nauseum), even if advanced techniques such as Kemper's Liquid Profiling might close that gap to some extent.

IMO, captuing as is might only stay relevant for some folks with whatever unusual amps (be it rare ones, modified ones or whatever) and/or combinations of amps and stomp boxes. Anything more typical will be covered sufficiently by component modeling pretty soon, very affordable options included.

Capturing IMO would only be able to stay around permanently in case it'd really capture pretty much everything I'd throw at it. Let's say I'd be splitting my input signal by frequency and then amplifying both splits quite differently (which could make a lot of sense in some situations, such as in keeping your lows tight and clean while getting successively more driven the higher you go (I know, sort of like the old TS808 trick, but I'm thinking about a more drastical approach). From all I know, such creations can't be captured very well right now.

Another option for capturing to survive would be if there were ways to represent all (or most) of the captured amp within one single capture, possibly by utilizing some clever interpolation algorithms, along with certain refining procedures (perhaps that will never really work, but getting a lot closer should be possible). But until we'll be seeing that, I'm sure the market is flooded with component modeling offering pretty much any amps that ever existed.

Yet another thing would be if capturing could profile even some truly weird sounds. Such as the tones of an SY-300/1000 (obviously in plain pickup mode). Or some other wild filtering creatures and what not. But I don't see that to happen any day soon (btw, would love to know what, say, NAM makes from some SY tones...).

Personally, the only reason for me to still sort of lust after a Kemper is it's IMO excellent onboard UI and the established libary. But the latter will become less and less important. Fwiw, at first I thought I would defenitely buy a ToneX pedal one day - but right now, I wouldn't even know why, especially as I'm generally fine anyway and as the HX Stomp has seen two massive updates which should keep my tonal needs sorted pretty much forever.

Really just wondering how much of a market there still is for capturing devices.
if i had to hazard a guess where it's gonna be I'd say a mix of component modeling and capturing like Tonocracy, A5+Tonex or the Quad Cortex.

I agree with the Tier 2 comment with some footnotes I think Helix has some fantastic amp models and some not so much. the new 2203 amp needs to be tried by everyone. It is that good. Their effects are good (maybe Tier 1.5, not top dog). The UI still remains as my favorite due to the scribble strips and the capacitive buttons. Of course, people can talk about touch screen stuff, but for me, my modeler sits on the floor (as it should) :)
yeah the 2203 is my fave JCM model, just as the UA Lion is my fave Plexi(s).

Technically speaking, there was the presence of a dick-waving attitude, and "I am here to tell you what is
up" posture when he didn't have a clue the person he was actually replying to could easily wipe the floor
with him. Not that he would. :idk

We can all NOT say anything offensive and still come off as a prick. No one knows this better than I do. :LOL:

My theory has always been that behind closed doors, the distinguished (actual) recording artists whom these top tier manufacturers each has had long term development relationships with have all been among their simplest, least demanding of users. I’m guessing many of them have even resisted the product advancements because what Line 6 Fractal and Kemper delivered for these guitarists from early days got those players where they needed to go. It’s great that these designers are lunatics and obsessives, because sure now and again SOMEone will tap in to an obscure feature and change the landscape of music. But most of the line item feature battles between brands have very little to do with how they’re being used by our heroes.

ymWv

I may have mooned someone once or twice in my lifetime, but never even had the thought of waving mah dick.
He tends to only come out for love. ;) :rofl

Had a small start up in the 90s with a lot of crazy fucks. One of them had no problem whipping out his dick.

It would generally come after “well, pull it out” as a pushback flex.

So he would pull out his, and then dare you to whip out yours… Stating: “Pull it out and I’ll show you something you’ve never seen before. The other end.”

Last edited:
Technically speaking, there was the presence of a dick-waving attitude, and "I am here to tell you what is
up" posture when he didn't have a clue the person he was actually replying to could easily wipe the floor
with him. Not that he would. :idk

We can all NOT say anything offensive and still come off as a prick. No one knows this better than I do. :LOL:
My comments were all in regards to the Stomp II. I don't think anybody disagrees with anything I said. I stand by it.

You're here talking about dick-waving and some other dude "wiping the floor with me". People are weird man.

Hope we all had a great Thanksgiving and holidays. Let's get back to gif shitposting.

Cat Running GIF

Last edited:
Back