Amp Modeler Tier Ranking

Jarick

Shredder
Inspired by the Kemper Stage vs Fractal thread, I decided to make my own tier ranking of amp modelers.

Tier 1: Buy with confidence
  • Fractal Axe FX 3 / FM9 / FM3 - generally the top dog in terms of being the most advanced and mature, depth and width, balanced by a steeper learning curve
  • Line 6 Helix / HX Stomp - neck and neck with Fractal, more dated but still heavily updated, and the best overall blend of power and ease of use
  • Kemper Profiler - fairly dated at this point but still under development, massive library of profiles that still sound great, helped by dropping prices

Tier 2: You're taking a chance
  • Neural DSP Quad Cortex - has not lived up to the next generation game changer it was promised, but still a very advanced piece of gear with a lot of potential
  • Fender Tone Master Pro - very intriguing product but an underwhelming rollout, it remains to be seen how much and how quickly it will develop

Tier 3: Cheap thrills
  • Boss ME-90 - basic old school interface with GT/GX tones under the hood, very simple and affordable
  • Boss GX-100 - half step forward, half step backward compared to the GT-1000 but generally a cool and powerful modeler for the price
  • Line 6 Pod Go - trickle down of Helix technology, while stripped down still quite a lot of modeler for the money

Tier 4: Probably not worth it
  • Headrush Prime - repackage of a few outdated plugins, some improvements but can't see how these really compete against others in that price range
  • Boss GT-1000 - flagship that was dated upon release, hasn't seen much support or development, and very limited compared to the competition

Tier 5: Budget stuff I wouldn't bother with
  • Mooer, Hotone, Nux, etc. I don't really see the point.

Curious to see other takes. Flame away!

I like it!

I'd add the Boss GT-1 to Tier 3; it sounds quite dated but it's still cheap and fun. I get the impression the Headrush MX5 might belong here as well but I have no experience with it.

Never had the GT1000 but had the Core twice. I think it deserves to be ranked #2 though even though the modeling itself is weaker than the top because it has a lot of solid effects and features. Yea not updated but a lot of the top tier stuff is updated all the time and still could learn a few tricks from BOSS.

Inspired by the Kemper Stage vs Fractal thread, I decided to make my own tier ranking of amp modelers.

• Fractal Axe FX 3 / FM9 / FM3 - generally the top dog in terms of being the most advanced and mature, depth and width, balanced by a steeper learning curve
  • Line 6 Helix / HX Stomp - neck and neck with Fractal, more dated but still heavily updated, and the best overall blend of power and ease of use
  • Kemper Profiler - fairly dated at this point but still under development, massive library of profiles that still sound great, helped by dropping prices

• Neural DSP Quad Cortex - has not lived up to the next generation game changer it was promised, but still a very advanced piece of gear with a lot of potential
  • Fender Tone Master Pro - very intriguing product but an underwhelming rollout, it remains to be seen how much and how quickly it will develop

• Boss ME-90 - basic old school interface with GT/GX tones under the hood, very simple and affordable
  • Boss GX-100 - half step forward, half step backward compared to the GT-1000 but generally a cool and powerful modeler for the price
  • Line 6 Pod Go - trickle down of Helix technology, while stripped down still quite a lot of modeler for the money

• Headrush Prime - repackage of a few outdated plugins, some improvements but can't see how these really compete against others in that price range
  • Boss GT-1000 - flagship that was dated upon release, hasn't seen much support or development, and very limited compared to the competition

giphy.gif

@Whizzinby where’s your TGF approval list ? That was 💯 last time

A work in progress, but a TGF receptiveness flow chart in the making…

Positive
  • Fractal
  • Line 6 (Minus JCM800)
  • Mesa
  • Marshall (Minus pricing in the states)
  • Friedman (Minus La Szum)
  • Synergy
  • ENGL
  • Strymon
Meme Reaction GIF

Rage
  • Neural DSP
  • GearTuber’s not named Leon Todd or John Cordy
  • Meris pedals with the bubble menus
  • Chase Bliss
  • Fender digital products
  • Universal Audio pedals
rage GIF

Meh
  • Anything by Boss that is not a 30 year old stomp box
  • Everything else that is not covered above
Bored Married With Children GIF

Almost all of your lower tiers work great as fx only in 4 cable.

Out of the unit's I have owned in the last 5 years I'd rank them as follows

Helix LT
FM3
Headrush MX5
GX-100
GT1000
Valeton GP-200
Nux MG-30
Zoom G6

I'm pretty solid on that. I guess you could swap the GX and the GT Boss units. I didnt have the POD Go long enough to make a proper judgement. Kept freezing and swapped it for my first MX5.

Last edited:
There are 2 types of people:
  1. People who put things in categories
  2. People who don't

In all honesty, I have a love/hate relationship with all modelers. I had the QC twice, the Kemper twice, the Helix twice, an axefx, an fm9, an fm3, boss gp10, boss gt100, the tonex pedal and an h90. Currently back to some amps with a load box and holding an FM9 along with Helix native and Tonex VST. Tonex pedal is in a drawer. Something keeps pulling me back and forth and they do have magic but there is always something missing or something that eventually frustrates me to the point of selling it.

Last edited:
There are 2 types of people:
  1. People who put things in categories
  2. People who don't

In all honesty, I have a love/hate relationship with all of modelers. I had the QC twice, the Kemper twice, the Helix twice, an axefx, an fm9, an fm3, boss gp10, boss gt100, the tonex pedal and an h90. Currently back to some amps with a load box and holding an FM9. Tonex pedal is in a drawer. Something keeps pulling me back and forth and they do have magic but there is always something missing or something that eventually frustrates me to the point of selling it.
I'd be in paradise having what you had. Helix, QC, Kemper, Fractal, Boss, Tonex etc... actually you are the 3rd type.

3. People who have it all and need no more categories.

I'd be in paradise having what you had. Helix, QC, Kemper, Fractal, Boss, Tonex etc... actually you are the 3rd type.

3. People who have it all and need no more categories.
I'm not sure about paradise. Each unit has flaws but every product keeps evolving with new features and then I have the compulsion to re-check them out. I can't remember the last time I bought anything new though, so I'm buying from people with the same horrendous condition. There are already Fender TMPs up for sale everywhere. Well, not everywhere as in a lot of them but they are in local ads, forums, Reverb and such

Last edited:
Mooer, Hotone, Nux, etc. I don't really see the point.
That's because you have mucho dinero. People with lower purchasing power see their point very clearly because these days you get a fairly decent sounding unit (or even great) with a complete feature set for much lower price.

The GT1000 Core has 2 loops, a channel changer for your amp, and full MIDI implementation. It may not be the greatest modeler, but it is 100% the best sounding little multi-fx unit to throw on top of an amp and control via MIDI for 4CM.
Paging @JiveTurkey.

That's because you have mucho dinero. People with lower purchasing power see their point very clearly because these days you get a fairly decent sounding unit (or even great) with a complete feature set for much lower price.
This is a good point. My younger, broke, teenage self used to be relentless about trying to find the best possible thing for the lowest possible price. If this stuff existed back then, I definitely would've been purchasing from this bracket, and probably would've been really happy with it, since the alternative was... nothing.

Back