Amp Modeler Tier Ranking

Inspired by the Kemper Stage vs Fractal thread, I decided to make my own tier ranking of amp modelers.

Tier 1: Buy with confidence
  • Fractal Axe FX 3 / FM9 / FM3 - generally the top dog in terms of being the most advanced and mature, depth and width, balanced by a steeper learning curve
  • Line 6 Helix / HX Stomp - neck and neck with Fractal, more dated but still heavily updated, and the best overall blend of power and ease of use
  • Kemper Profiler - fairly dated at this point but still under development, massive library of profiles that still sound great, helped by dropping prices

Tier 2: You're taking a chance
  • Neural DSP Quad Cortex - has not lived up to the next generation game changer it was promised, but still a very advanced piece of gear with a lot of potential
  • Fender Tone Master Pro - very intriguing product but an underwhelming rollout, it remains to be seen how much and how quickly it will develop

Tier 3: Cheap thrills
  • Boss ME-90 - basic old school interface with GT/GX tones under the hood, very simple and affordable
  • Boss GX-100 - half step forward, half step backward compared to the GT-1000 but generally a cool and powerful modeler for the price
  • Line 6 Pod Go - trickle down of Helix technology, while stripped down still quite a lot of modeler for the money

Tier 4: Probably not worth it
  • Headrush Prime - repackage of a few outdated plugins, some improvements but can't see how these really compete against others in that price range
  • Boss GT-1000 - flagship that was dated upon release, hasn't seen much support or development, and very limited compared to the competition

Tier 5: Budget stuff I wouldn't bother with
  • Mooer, Hotone, Nux, etc. I don't really see the point.

Curious to see other takes. Flame away!

New guy here, late to the party as usual..

I am a gear ho, let's just get that out of the way. I've owned damn near everything mentioned here twice or 3 times. That allows me a lil credence I think but I am in no way an expert outside of my own mind .. :p

I'm older. I still own and love a Vamp Pro (did 2 albums in the 2004 -08 era with one) and an Eleven Rack w/expansion pack..
Sheesh, I still own a Johnson J station

All that said.. I'll try not to make this a mess

Tier 1 according to Mikey
Axe Fx III to FM 3
I've owned every fractal incarnation at least once.
I still use an old Axe Fx Std quite often

Honorable mention,, Amperium Live. Quite possibly the best kept secret in the modeling world. Made in Ukraine.... Probably why..

Tier 2
Helix rack.. I use mine for bass and radio work.. The mic pre's work nicely.
The guitar stuff is a work in progress.. All modelers have a core sound. An inescapable core sound..

Quad Cortex.. Should be be tier one one given the recent updates. I have one inbound. Hope I dint eff up

Tier 3
I'm going to put the Boss Katana 100 watt head here. After all, it's essentially a 100 watt modeler.. great effects. amps suck

Blackstar Amped 2.. See above except the effects.. maybe the worst I've tried this yr..

Tier4
Nux, zoom........ I still own a zoom 505 somewhere. can't believe I said that out loud

Last edited:
Inspired by the Kemper Stage vs Fractal thread, I decided to make my own tier ranking of amp modelers.

Tier 1: Buy with confidence
  • Fractal Axe FX 3 / FM9 / FM3 - generally the top dog in terms of being the most advanced and mature, depth and width, balanced by a steeper learning curve
  • Line 6 Helix / HX Stomp - neck and neck with Fractal, more dated but still heavily updated, and the best overall blend of power and ease of use
  • Kemper Profiler - fairly dated at this point but still under development, massive library of profiles that still sound great, helped by dropping prices

Tier 2: You're taking a chance
  • Neural DSP Quad Cortex - has not lived up to the next generation game changer it was promised, but still a very advanced piece of gear with a lot of potential
  • Fender Tone Master Pro - very intriguing product but an underwhelming rollout, it remains to be seen how much and how quickly it will develop

Tier 3: Cheap thrills
  • Boss ME-90 - basic old school interface with GT/GX tones under the hood, very simple and affordable
  • Boss GX-100 - half step forward, half step backward compared to the GT-1000 but generally a cool and powerful modeler for the price
  • Line 6 Pod Go - trickle down of Helix technology, while stripped down still quite a lot of modeler for the money

Tier 4: Probably not worth it
  • Headrush Prime - repackage of a few outdated plugins, some improvements but can't see how these really compete against others in that price range
  • Boss GT-1000 - flagship that was dated upon release, hasn't seen much support or development, and very limited compared to the competition

Tier 5: Budget stuff I wouldn't bother with
  • Mooer, Hotone, Nux, etc. I don't really see the point.

Curious to see other takes. Flame away!
You're WAY off the mark with NUX... They are top excellent modellers and don't get enough praise...
the main problem is, most people are too stupid to program gain staging and EQ curves too make any modeller sing...

I actually really like the Black I think
The black and silver switches would look look great

Someone mentioned that on the FB
and one of the Know it all guys
Said no because black and silver would be ripping off Helix 🤔🤔
I do wonder about the longevity of the gold knobs though tbh. And by that I mean the color not functionality

You're WAY off the mark with NUX... They are top excellent modellers and don't get enough praise...
the main problem is, most people are too stupid to program gain staging and EQ curves too make any modeller sing...
Not saying you´re wrong, I´m just going to say my opinion (not owning a Nux). Almost in every youtube shootout I´ve seen of a Nux against any other modeler, MY opinion is that the Nux is the worst sounding. Maybe youtubers don´t know how to dial-in it, or maybe my tastes are wrong, or maybe both.

For me, they´re not that great.

Someone mentioned that on the FB
and one of the Know it all guys
Said no because black and silver would be ripping off Helix 🤔🤔
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

“taking a chance”

Based on your OP, how would you define this?

Wow. Was just checking Neural's site and they got at least one sales rep in 47 different countries!

1704833763712.png

Guess their Darkglass years got them in bed with quite the sales network.

Last edited:
Back