3.6 When ?

live dangerously mike myers GIF
Oh behave! :hmm

Meh, profiling not for me Just keep improving component modeling I say
im pretty sure it can improve quite a bit
why im in the Helix/Fractal camp
I believe that one needs to stick to what they excel at and not weaken or spoil the broth
by trying to do add every ingredient

Fwiw, I would not use/need to have yet some more traditional or famous amp models. I would mainly use it to capture interesting creations made up by myself, such as amps running in parallel, both doing different things (which might still be an issue for capturing, but way less for the "new" neural networking way than for the Kemper, which simply couldn't do these things).

Bumping old request: "Folder block".

Something that will allow several model/effects in a single block, ie. I sometimes use 2 Parametric EQs before the Amp and 2 after, they only take 3% DSP each but the routing chain starts to get a little tight.
Freeing routing chain space and makes tone matching presets or 'core tone' one block.

hx folder.png

EDIT:
Individual components in this block do not have to be assignable or bypass-able to avoid some heavy programming on Line 6 side, the user has to choose blocks that will be always ON in this block and only the main Folder block can be assigned and bypassed like all other blocks.
This is NOT additional blocks in the routing chain since nothing is assignable or bypass-able inside the Folder, it's basically a virtual Series FX Loop and should be a breeze to program.

EDIT 2:
You can put an existing FX Loop block and some EQ and Compression to shape the tone inside the Folder.
It can be incredibly versatile with some imagination and afaik no other hardware modeler does this.

Last edited:
Imagine a capture/profile block where you can put your favourite preamps, amps...
Just a "print" with a few tweak.

Something that will allow several model/effects in a single block, ie. I sometimes use 2 Parametric EQs before the Amp and 2 after, they only take 3% DSP each but the routing chain starts to get a little tight.

That'd be fantastic. Been requesting that years ago already, too (it's possibly somewhere up on Ideascale).
Would as well be just great to save presets (err, well, we don't have them, so make that a favourite) for these block folders. So you could call up your favourite combination of a drive, an amp, a cab and maybe something else (EQs, as in your case) all at once in a neat little "sub-preset".

---

Oh, and while we're at requests: It's beyond me why we still can't use IRs on Amp+Cab blocks. Especially for Stomp users, that'd be great.

Freeing routing chain space and makes tone matching presets or 'core tone' one block.

View attachment 4478

EDIT:
Individual components in this block do not have to be assignable or bypass-able to avoid some heavy programming on Line 6 side, the user has to choose blocks that will be always ON in this block and only the main Folder block can be assigned and bypassed like all other blocks.
This is NOT additional blocks in the routing chain since nothing is assignable or bypass-able inside the Folder, it's basically a bypass-able virtual FX Loop or a Series route split and should be a breeze to program.

EDIT 2:
You can put an existing FX Loop block and some EQ and Compression to shape the tone inside the Folder.
It can be incredibly versatile with some imagination and afaik no other hardware modeler does this.
Interesting thought, that's for sure!

Does the chain inside the "folder block" run the normal, linear way?

If so, wouldn't that equal just having whatever you place in there, placed in the normal chain, one after another, all items assigned to the same footswitch?

I believe I do understand the basic idea, but can't wrap it around my head 100%.

wouldn't that equal just having whatever you place in there, placed in the normal chain, one after another, all items assigned to the same footswitch?

No, this is NOT like adding more blocks as I've written in the first EDIT point, otherwise I would just ask for more blocks.
The Helix has a very complex Bypass Assign, Controller Assign, Snapshot, Command and Footswitching system for every block in the 8x4 routing chain, what I'm suggesting is to add a simple Virtual Series FX Loop without integrating the inside blocks to this complex switching system, only the main Folder block is still part of that 8x4 system, thus greatly simplifying the programming of said feature.
Makes sense?

Last edited:

View attachment 4478

EDIT:
This is NOT additional blocks in the routing chain since nothing is assignable or bypass-able inside the Folder, it's basically a virtual Series FX Loop and should be a breeze to program.

EDIT 2:
This is a complicated solution to what is mostly a UI problem - the inability to add more blocks despite the processing power being available. Tightening the spacing of the blocks as you add more would solve the problem without introducing a concept as difficult as this. Novel idea tho!

View attachment 4478

EDIT:

EDIT 2:
I've suggested something like this to the team every year or so and the answer is always the same—our DSP graph would need to be completely redone, which I've been told is a lot of work. And even though you've chosen three low-DSP EQ blocks in the example above, anyone could put whatever they wanted in there, which means the DSP limit would be hit much sooner, exacerbating any "underpowered" perception.

EDIT: I never mean to dismiss feature requests—only explaining why we can or can't do something. Please keep 'em coming.

Last edited:
Bump.

Looking at the bigger picture of the current state of amp modeling leads me to think again that Line 6 needs to tweak their approach.
It literally takes them years (or never) to add, fix or replace a "bad" model, that approach is terribly outdated.

Last edited:
I think the same, personally I think that Line 6 does not owe me anything as a client, but if we are talking about a top-of-the-line modeler, which I think is at least what Helix is aiming for, they should pay attention to that type of detail, modelers are boxes of tools, and right now there are quite good and cheap ones... in this area, line 6 only has to flirt with perfection, or I'll go with nux XD!

EDIT: I never mean to dismiss feature requests—only explaining why we can or can't do something. Please keep 'em coming.
Since you asked, a blast from the past: has Line 6 ever considered adding USB audio channels as selectable options in the Helix Loop/ Send/ Return blocks? This would have been a game changer for me. Is there a hardware limitation that precludes this?

Is there a hardware limitation that precludes this?

Likely the horrible latency the HX based interfaces come with, limiting the usefulness of any such a thing considerably. You could really only mix some delays/reverbs in, for anything else it's not making much sense.

Likely the horrible latency the HX based interfaces come with, limiting the usefulness of any such a thing considerably. You could really only mix some delays/reverbs in, for anything else it's not making much sense.
Which HX based interfaces are you referring to? I tracked with Helix for quite a while without any issues.

Even as things stand right now, I routinely send/receive to and from Helix USB audio; it's just much messier building a preset that can do it.

Which HX based interfaces are you referring to? I tracked with Helix for quite a while without any issues.

Even as things stand right now, I routinely send/receive to and from Helix USB audio; it's just much messier building a preset that can do it.
Best modeler interface there is, I'd say. GT1000 is quite good as well.

Back