3.6 When ?

Notice we haven't talked about "HX" as a modeling engine in a while. Mainly because we've improved it considerably over the years and don't ever want someone saying "Oh, it's the same ol' HX engine from 2015."
You lost me here, maybe a language barrier.
Wouldn't people say that exactly because you're not "renaming" amp modeling with each update?
But if you rename it every time than it's not "the same ol' HX engine"?

Wouldn't people say that exactly because you're not "renaming" amp modeling with each update?
I think the point is that Line 6 like to make continual subtle improvements, but not necessarily draw attention to them. (Increased oversampling not withstanding. ;) )

As I understand it, the modeling tools which 'describe' how individual physical elements behave are being constantly improved by the dsp team and the sound design team are using the latest tools when creating new models.
It can be anything from making the sound design team life easier to a complete rewrite of how a component or a system behaves.

From our consumer perspective we get a new model made in 2023 that has exactly the same controls as the old model from 2015 but inside they can be very different.

Roland/BOSS's branding of "COSM" did them a disservice. COSM is simply their term for modeling (it even predates "modeling" as a commonly understood term), and there have been many iterations—and presumably entirely new engines—labeled "COSM" over the years. But the masses abhor nuance, so many have assumed and purported everything with "COSM" sounds the same, which is quite literally the same thing as saying "Roland modeling sounds the same." Utter hogwash.

Same with "HX." It's fancy and new in 2015 but begins to sound old hat only a few years later.

But why would you name products HX Effects, HX Edit, HX Stomp, and HX Stomp XL then?

Because years ago, I lost a hard-fought battle.

Oh come on, do tell.

:popcorn
Won't name names, but there was literally a Powerpoint battle. Dozens of stakeholders were crammed in a meeting room. All but three or four Line 6ers agreed with me, but in the end, an executive decision was made.

A similar thing happened when we were finalizing Helix Floor's UI layout. 86% of Line 6ers polled preferred the screen and button/knob clusters centered above the switches, but my manager at the time insisted they be left-justified. He left the organization a bit later and we fixed it with LT.

Tube amps are complex time-variant beasts no 2D snapshot can bottle, component modeling is still king and will always be so.
It's just the waiting time for fixes and new models is so damn long, years and never are sadly in our vocabulary.

I'm convinced you are right about the accuracy, however, there are other capture methods that are able to clone the sounds I want, for at least the past five years, at least to my satisfaction, which I have not been able to come near using the available component modeled end products

I'd guess it would be difficult to (retrospectively) integrate this feature.

Why? They could do it just as IK is doing it. Capture with any standard computer and use the hardware as a "playback" device only. That should be very well doable - I really don't think that the Tonex pedal has a stronger CPU than the Stomp (as the smallest of the HX devices).

Why? They could do it just as IK is doing it. Capture with any standard computer and use the hardware as a "playback" device only. That should be very well doable - I really don't think that the Tonex pedal has a stronger CPU than the Stomp (as the smallest of the HX devices).

Back